what will happen next?

Sk94

Registered Users (C)
Hello. I am new to this forum. I just got my 140 approval. I checked a box for CP when I applied for 140. I am not sure what is the next step that I should prepare. Can some one kindly explain how it works after 140 approval?
Thank you in advance.

2 simple steps

.. if everything is in your favor

- if not applied already for 485, you apply for it, assuming the PD is current
- wait to get your approval, assuming your FBI security check is clear

OTOH, if wind of favor is not blowing your way, don't ask!

Sk94 said:
Hello. I am new to this forum. I just got my 140 approval. I checked a box for CP when I applied for 140. I am not sure what is the next step that I should prepare. Can some one kindly explain how it works after 140 approval?
Thank you in advance.

The reply above is only if you want to go the AOS route.
It looks like you want to use CP.

In case of CP, if the case is current, you will receive a fee receipt. Upon payment of the fee, a "packet 3" will be mailed to you (or your attorney). You send the packet 3 back to the NVC (in case of Montreal - the ploice clearances are included at this step in case of Montreal) or the consulate (I am not sure about this). The NVC or the consulate then decides on an appointment date and sends you the "packet 4". You then undergo all the required medicals and show up on the day of the interview. You get a visa which is valide for a single entry for 6 months. When endorsed at the border this serves as the temporary green card for 1 year. In the meantime you should receive the physical green card.

Thanks, Oh-canada
I am also from Canada, so I will go to Montreal, i guess.
Have you got your green card yet?
If so, how long did it take from the time of 140 approval to the actual interview in Montreal?

Thanks.

SK94-
How does the I-140 approval letter say about your petition? Is it indicated in the approval notice that your case has been forwarded to NVC and will go with CP at US Consulate in Montreal?

Thank you for sharing your info.

Dumb VSC

As you posted earlier, my approval letter has the same problem. For some reason, they think I would go for AOS, although I checked for CP on 140 application. I am not sure what has gone wrong. I called the customer service center of uSCIS today. They said that I need to send a copy of my original 140 indicating that I chose CP from the begining along with the I 824. They said that I do NOT have to pay for 824 though.

Anyway because of this kind of error, my lawyer wants me to do 485. I will just do 485, i guess.

SK94-

Is the visa number current for your case?
It has bothered me for a long time with my approval letter since it was received last October. As what you did to your case, I indicated in the original petition that I would go with CP, instead of adjustment of status in the US, but the approval notice shows I have to go with adjument of status application. I called INS and asked them to forward my case to NVC for visa processing and have not received results yet. BTW, my visa number is not current now.

Do you think it is getting better with adjument of status than CP in terms of processing time right now? I still prefer to cp, provided that INS can change my case to CP as requested before the visa number is current

Thank you.

current

My PD is current. I don't want to waste time to deal with all these errors. Did you send your request by mail? or over the phone? The service agent today told me that he could NOT change anything on the phone. You probably need to check on that.
I wanted to do CP, but I think this INS error is showing me a way to go. I will try my luck with 485.