What visa to use while searching for work in the US?

Leslie Falvey

I am an Australian citizen contemplating going over to the US to look for work. I will meet all the requirements of the H1B visa if I can find a sponsor.

I believe that as an Australian I can use the Visa Waiver Program and have 90 days in the country to look for an employer that will sponsor me but that to file the application for an H1B that I would have to leave the country. Is this true?

If I use a B2 visa (and again assuming that I find a sponsor) can I stay in the country while I put in an application for the H1B? How long can a B2 be used for, and are extensions possible? This would certainly be more convenient is I do not have to leave the country.

Are there any other suggestions that people might have from their knowledge or experience. I am also particularly interested in what people think is the best way about approaching companies to act as a sponsor and how companies are approaching sponsorship at the present time (reluctant or not concerned). I would be aiming in New York at the investment banks and e-commerce firms.

Help and advice much appreciated.

it is tough out here

In the current market, it will be difficult for you to get sponsership. Here people sitting with green card, and citizenship looking for job. Also changing from B1/B2 to H1B would be difficult after Sept 11. Earlier people would goto Mexico /Canada and get visa. Now if you get sponsership you would be better off going back to Australia and getting visa.

If I were you, i would wait for good times to return!!! and then come here. But that\'s my opinion.

Progress

I am interested to hear if you have made any progress and found any answers to your questions, as I have been looking into a similar thing. Do you know if you can go over on the visa waver program and then change to a B1 visa etc. How have you gone with finding a sponsor, have US company\'s been interested?

I don\'t think this is a good idea

as far as I understand, you are not allowed to travel over here and look for a job in the US. (no matter how many people have done it before, I think that today you can really get in trouble if you do that)

I think you are better off using the Internet from home to look for a sponsor, then get them to send you a plane ticket (don\'t pay the ticket yourself!) and pay for a job interview trip expenses.

Another way is to use a recruiter in the US, send the recruiter your resume, and have the recruiter try to place you. Use the Internet to find recruiters here.

Travelling over here and starting to knock on doors....naaah, that will get you in trouble. You don\'t know the INS before you have had some experience of them..

Tell us if you found any legal way of getting away with a job hunting trip..!