What to Wear on Asylum Interview?

adenleeway

Registered Users (C)
I'm going to have my asylum interview next week, but I'm a little unsure about what to wear for that important occasion. Can I wear a pair of blue jeans, and a brown jacket? Would that be considered inappropriate? I would appreciate your thoughts! Many thanks!

Will you wear this outfit to a job interview for a manager level job? The recommendation for all immigration related interactions is formal. You cannot go wrong being overdressed. In general, if I am an officer interviewing you, and someone shows up in a business suit (even if he is a janitor) I immediately say, "this is a respectable man, he takes good care of himself, he treated me with respect by dressing up formally because this is a formal situation, and he deserves to be in America." For all my interviews, I always dressed more formal than to go to work (it was business casual company). I don't think legally they can hurt you if you go dressed like you don't care, but if there is even 1% chance of being denied, a good outfit, nice demeanor, showing respect to the officer, etc. can help a lot.

I'm going to have my asylum interview next week, but I'm a little unsure about what to wear for that important occasion. Can I wear a pair of blue jeans, and a brown jacket? Would that be considered inappropriate? I would appreciate your thoughts! Many thanks!

Hi Adenleeway

I agree with del0175. Try to dress as formal ad possible. It will be better. And could you please let us know which asylum office did you apply and when did you get your asylum interview notice after applying. We are waiting for a long time for an interview, and your experience will help us to try to estimate how long shall we wait more. I applied to Anaheim asylum office last yer in July and still have't been scheduled for interview yet.

Thank you for all your replies! The truth is that I'm not economically well-off, and I cannot afford a suit... I do have a pair of nice black pants though, but the brown jacket is my best outfit now...

And I applied in May 2013, and have been waiting for 8 months before receiving the interview notice. And my office is Newark.

Thank you for all your replies! The truth is that I'm not economically well-off, and I cannot afford a suit... I do have a pair of nice black pants though, but the brown jacket is my best outfit now...

And I applied in May 2013, and have been waiting for 8 months before receiving the interview notice. And my office is Newark.

Thank you for your reply as well. Wish you best of luck in your interview. Hope that you will share your interview experience with us as well. Be approved soon:)