what to tell to immigration officer?

viral_doshi24

i am a medical graduate from india.i have B1/B2 vis of 10 yrs[muliple entry]
i want to go to u s a to give usmle step2 cs exam which is held only in u s a and also want to do observership for 2 months.one the question in my mind is what to tell immigration officer if they ask purpose of my visit? should i disclose real intentions or ishould i tell that i am coming here for visiting different places? is it legal to give exam on this visa? many of my friends have given exams and they have told immigration officer that they are going for giving exams and they are allowed to enter USA to give exam but there have been cases in which people have been deported back to home country on telling that they are going to give exam.i am very confused regarding this matter.please help.

The answer is very simple. You need to say the truth. What was the reason you gave on the Visa application form?

Viral,
Two rules to abide by when communicating with an USCIS/ICE/CBP officer:-
(1) Never lie
(2) Never volunteer

Just yesterday I returned to Chicago from a business trip from London (UK). As soon as I got to the booth at O'Hare, I handed my passport to the officer. He took it, scanned it, stamped it and returned it to me within 15 seconds without saying a word. So I also kept totally silent.

B-1 visa holders are eligible
to study in the U.S. IF THE STUDY IS INCIDENTAL TO
THE PURPOSE OF TRIP. Moreover, there are limitations
to such studies in that the studies must be of short
duration (under 18 hours a week). If the primary reason
for visiting the U.S. is to engage in studies, such persons
might consider applying for an F-1 or B-2 visa

port of entry

Hi,

Iam also going to the US to take an exam. My visa validity is only good for 3 mo s and its only a single entry visa.but i need to stay for at least four months to get my results and certificate. What do you think are the chances that the immigration officer will allow me to stay beyond my visa validity? what should i say that would allow me to do that? I already have a return ticket dated 4 mos from my arrival date, do you think it will hurt my chances?

Why can't the certificate be mailed to you? Why do you need to be in the US to collect it?

Iam also going to the US to take an exam. My visa validity is only good for 3 mo s and its only a single entry visa.but i need to stay for at least four months to get my results and certificate.

OP,

There is something wrong with this picture.

You intend to enter the US to take an exam which would allow you to practice medicine in the US. You discuss the accepability of LYING to an immigration official.

Who in their right mind would knowing see a physician who is so unethical that they would do such a thing.

The exam should add a section on ethics - not just in medicine but in life.

well its a catch 22 here.. they have F1 visas sponsored by kaplan medical for doctors who want to come here and pass their medical licensing exams, this exam is only for students who wish to work in the US and is no good anywhere else.. so a person entering for this purpose would definately enter with an IMMIGRATION intent.. the IO knows that ..what other reason does the doc have to come all the way here and give this exam which is valid in the us.. other than working here . now where is the law here.. you have a doctor entering on a f1 visa ,,with a supposively non immigrant intent to work in the USA right after he passes the Medical license exam and become an IMMIGRANT ..

port of entry

well the us embassy gave me a visa for usmle. im taking my step 2 of usmle late oct. if i pass my step 2, i will be eligible to take step 3 which i could take early jan or feb. Is it better to just go home and reaapply for another visa? its too expensive too travel back and forth just to take 2 exams.

port of entry

I wouldnt be lying to the immigration officer. I clearly declared during my visa interview that I will go to the US to take the USMLE exams. They even annotated it on my visa stamp. Which means that the US embassy gave me permission to take the exam in the US. I just want to finish all my exams before i go home and save money on travel expenses.

if you pass step 2 ..i dont advice you to leave the US, ..provided you have a valid visa ..stay here do observerships and wait to apply for the match this summer.. at the same time like you said you can prepare for usmle..who is sponsering you? kaplan? you can probably get a work permit and start working to have your expenses covered, btw.. i just gave step 1, preparing for the second step.. good luck!

port of entry

yes, i have a valid visa. and it indicates that visiting for the exam.but like ive said its only a single entry visa and it expires this dec, the same time that my cs exam result will come out. My purpose of visit was to take the exams and i intend to do that. but i need to stay until feb to complete everything. do you think the immigration officer will allow me to stay beyond my visa validity?

thanks.. actually no observerships will sponsor you.. oh so your visa expires in dec. i dont advice you to over stay, you can probably get registered and prepare for step 3 with kaplan and apply for change of status..this can get you a visa extension for a year or so.. for residency and match observerships really matter.. and its always better to be in the US when you apply for a residency. it makes your changes stronger..

Actually, you could be taking a residency so that you would have the knowledge from the US when you return home to practice medicine. That is the intent of TRAINING visas.

It is ironic that US citizen doctors find it necessary to go on missionary trips to countries who send large numbers of doctors to the US to train yet never return to serve their countrymen.

why would any doc after going through the hassel of these usmle exams and tough residency go back to make peanuts at home ...there isnt any thing as training in america and going back.. people who believe in this are fooling themselves.. the reason to come here and pass these exams is to stay and never go back!

Some doctors care more about people than money. To them it is a calling, not just a job. It is about caring more about others than you do about yourself. It is about giving rather than taking. It is the difference between my late father and you. It is about the letters received after his death about good deeds that he had done that he had never told any one about but were shared by his patients after his death.

How a country with a shortage of doctors can give out no objections is beyond me.

The US AMA created an artificial shortage of US trained doctors a number of years ago; there are more than enough US citizens and LPRs qualified and desiring to be educated as doctors and other medical professionals; the problem is not enough slots in medical and allied health professions schools. Increase the slots in schools and the problem is solved; there will be no more preferences for foreign trained docs.

if one loves his country and people so much then why come out here and increase the competition for people who actually want to stay here and achieve the american dream , and want to be a part of this country..and eventually call themselves proud americans and serve the american community.. there are needy people even here in america who dont have med insurance ..help can be given here as well

If our countries had given us all that we wouldnt be ready to do anything to stay here..I have seen this trait esp in south east asians they live and work here some live on tax payers money and say sh*t about this country and always praise their home country, if it wasnt for america many docs who live in mansions here would be riding scooters back home..