What to do after the PD becomes current?

If you already filed I-140 and 485 there's not much left to do. Expect a fingerprint notice if your last fingerprints are over 15 months old or if you never did fingerprints at all. Also expect a possible interview appointment (but they don't interview all EB candidates). Once you get past those, expect the approval (or denial!) within 1-3 months unless you're stuck in name check.

If you haven't already filed I-485, you have a lot of work to do... medical, EAD, AP, tax returns and pay stubs, etc... talk to your lawyer about the specific details of your situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
After becoming current ..

What to do and what should we expect?
Can anybody share a flow of the process?

belacut,

As Jackolantern has already mentioned, if you have already filed your 485 then its time to call the Service Center and request a status update. It is best to be proactive once the PD does become current. Calling them and asking for an update will get someone to look at your case and send out FP or Bio notices if its been over 15 months. If your namecheck is complete then you should hear some good news within a month or so.

About the interview, do not worry about it. Only a very small percentage of cases get chosen for an interview in the local office. In such a case the file is transfered to the local office and an interview is setup. In all likelihood, you will not be picked for an interview.

If you have not filed your 485 then as Jack said, you need to start the whole process of getting the paperwork together. Your lawyer will let you know what all is needed. There is a lot of legwork involved with the 485 filing.

Either way, congrats on being current and good luck on everything.

saras

belacut,

As Jackolantern has already mentioned, if you have already filed your 485 then its time to call the Service Center and request a status update. It is best to be proactive once the PD does become current. Calling them and asking for an update will get someone to look at your case and send out FP or Bio notices if its been over 15 months. If your namecheck is complete then you should hear some good news within a month or so.

Saras,

Should you call the day you become current? Or should you wait a month? I remember reading somewhere that once you priority date is current and you've waited over 30 days you should call the USCIS.

NN

Not sure ..

Saras,

Should you call the day you become current? Or should you wait a month? I remember reading somewhere that once you priority date is current and you've waited over 30 days you should call the USCIS.

NN

mdh3000,

I am not entirely sure but it will not hurt to call them anyway. At the most they will let you know to call back a month after you PD has been current. My point is that all of us need to be as proactive as possible because things can change anytime. I speak from personal experience because at the time my PD was current I was not as proactive as I should have been. I was naive enough to believe that the USCIS will figure things out. I have learnt that this is not always the case. The onus is on us to push our cases through this crap system.

Being proactive is even more important now because the current bulletin has proved that the DHS is just playing a guessing game with PD's and they are capable of doing anything in the coming months.

cheers,

saras

Congratulations

First of all, congratulations on seeing the dream come true......ie having the retro dates advance for you. I hope it continues to move and help others like me also.

:) :)

mdh3000,

Being proactive is even more important now because the current bulletin has proved that the DHS is just playing a guessing game with PD's and they are capable of doing anything in the coming months.

cheers,

saras

Thanks for the info. I never thought of calling them up. I know that my fingerprints were finally done 1 year after my I-485 was submitted. It sounds like they need a gentle "reminder" from us once and a while.

mdh

Well, you have won Round 1 (PD Battle) ....so, welcome to Round 2 (Namecheck Demon Battle),

Round 2 is lot more tougher! HEE HEE!
One can call USCIS and keep poking them to check if the namecheck cleared or not...If so, the next step usually is that the file would be sent to an Immigration Officer for review....then, come May 1st week, lot of folks should see their approval messages!

Or one can just wait till May 1st week...to see if they are stuck in Round 2! HEE HEE!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone's input. Appreciated it.

Indeed I am happy for my PD finally turns current but I am sure it will have some hicupps down to the road.
I am a Hong Kong Chinese and I hope my name check will be a little bit easier than other people compare with other HOT region country.

mdh3000,

I am not entirely sure but it will not hurt to call them anyway. At the most they will let you know to call back a month after you PD has been current. My point is that all of us need to be as proactive as possible because things can change anytime. I speak from personal experience because at the time my PD was current I was not as proactive as I should have been. I was naive enough to believe that the USCIS will figure things out. I have learnt that this is not always the case. The onus is on us to push our cases through this crap system.

Its true. When my Name Check was complete, they were just sitting on my app until I called, which was some 3 months late. After I called, they pulled up my file and sent me 2nd FP notice in a week. I immediately took the finger prints, when my case was "approvable" still for next 5 days. But they touched my case in 8 days and the Visa numbers were not available then.

Luckily, then dates were back current the next month, so I was ok.