What the interview is all about?

ataq

Registered Users (C)
hi all,

My wife is US citizen and i have applied for AOS in May 02 (San Antonio Texas). Two weeks back i was fingerprinted and today i have received EAD.
I understand that at some point they would ask us for interview for my I-485. I'm wondering

1-what do they ask in the interview and what it is all about? :confused:
2-How long it takes?
3-Is that the final step in your AOS?

Thanks ya all

ataq

1st. Interview.
After you file your application you will be notified to appear at an
INS office to answer questions about the application. You will be required to answer these questions under oath or affirmation. You must bring your Arrival-Departure Record (Form I-94) and any passport to the interview (here's where they'll give you the work permit if applied for one).

2nd Interview:
This takes place in approx. 18 or 24 months. In this interview they ask you some questions about the U.S. history or government. The interview itself lasts 15 or 20 minutes (normally they ask 10 questions or less). After this you will be granted resident status, or conditional permanent resident status if you've been married less than two years. If this is the case, both you and your wife are required to file Form I-751, Joint Petition to Remove Conditional Basis of Alien's Permanent Resident Status, during the 90-day period immediately before the second anniversary of the date you were granted conditional permanent resident status. You could say THIS is the final step in your AOS.

Go here http://www.immigration.com/citizenship/questions.html to see some examples of the questions they ask in the second interview.

Good luck!!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your reply. I think the interview you mentioned is for Citizenship. I heard that when you go for family based GC, they ask questions from you and your wife to determine whether your marriage is "bona fide".

ataq:confused:

INTERVIEW

Mostly all they ask is:
1. How did you two meet
2. Date of marriage, and
3. If you have children
But I know people that needed to answer all these questions about their spouse:
1. Birthday
2. Parents' name
3. Typical food of your country and how does he/she cooks that food
4. Maiden name (woman) and middle name (man)
5. Where does he/she work
6. Salary

I hope this helps you
:D