What\'s 245(i)?

jimmyk8888

Registered Users (C)
INS RD for my I485 is 02/06/02. Did my FP on 03/30/02.
Got layoff about 2 weeks ago
Am I still in status?

u r in status

but what will happen is that

a) CSC may approve

b) csc may send rfe

c) csc may call u for interview

be prepared for b and c

even if INS approves

isn\'t the job change within 180 days ? doesn\'t it make the I485 approval illegal ? just asking since i read it somewhere.

You are in Status.. AOS should be fine too

Hi,
The rule (at least from what I got out of Murthy\'s chats) is that as long as your case is not adjudicated within 180 days you are allright.
Since your receipt date is in Feb just hope that your case is not approved by August. If thats the case you are covered by AC-21 guidelines. There could be a problem if your case is approved before that.
Therefore the delay in I-485 processing could be a blessing in disguise for you.

245(i)

It grants u some relief if u have been out of status for some time. There is a penalty of USD 1000 and there are some conditions.

Not much info about this matter is known by me -

for n2201

245i is LIFE ACT which says that if a person has been out of status in the US,he can still get back in status without going out of the country by Paying $1000 fine .But this LIFE ACT was valid only till April of 2001..SO now if you are out of status you cannot get the benefit of 245i.
And it been more than 180days for you since you have filed for your 485...Find another job..u should be ok...

as u have rd

feb 6 2002 it is not past 180 days for ur receipt date.

You should read the ac21 law implications

AOSWaiter_485 "****AC21 law discussion" 2/24/02 2:12pm