What questions are asked at POE for GC holder?

jat,

I guess if you are going in and out on short term visits, I don't thin where U live, how will you eat, etc. should be a issue while entering.

Returning from Hong Kong after a week's business trip:

Officer said "Good evening" (then swiped passport and green card, and stamped passport ARC). Less than a minute later, handed both back to me and said "Thank you". No questions or discussion, not even asked how long I was away.

When I passed the customs desk, the officer just said "Welcome home" in a friendly tone.

It seems to me like the SFO officers have had some kind of training in people skills, but I could be wrong. It might have just been a fluke, or the fact the load was light (ours was the only international flight in the hall at that point in time.)

I've entered the country 4 times on my green card. Each time the trip was less than two weeks long.
The first three times all I heard was "welcome home"
The fourth time he questioned me on my two previous trips...
"where did you go in Nov 2005?"
"where did you go in May 2005?"
"what was the purpose of those trips?"
"what was the purpose of this trip?"
Then he made us take our 4 month old daughter out of the stroller and hold her up..and compared her face to the photo on her passport...
My GC is employment based...he never questioned me about my employer or anything else....

I entered through chicago earlier this year after visiting bangalore, india. The officer at POE asked howz the weather in bangalore and how was your trip. I told him the weather and my trip were great and it sucks to come back here but have to because of my job! He quickly handed my passport after stamping without any questions.
ps -- Would not recommend this answer unless you are confident you can pull it off.

Travel to India

I have my physical green card now. Before that I had stamping in my passport. When I went to enquire one time to local INS office about the physical card status, officer wrongly checked the system and striked my stamping that my case was not approved. Soon she realized that it was an error and stamped it again. Although I have physical card, will I be having any problems at POE?? Mine is going to be Cincinatti.

Thanks
Ceejay

ceejay said:
Soon she realized that it was an error and stamped it again. Although I have physical card, will I be having any problems at POE??

Assuming you have a new 'clean' stamp in your passport, and she updated the record in the system, you should have no problems at the POE. You will probably be referred to secondary inspection (many people with only the stamp are), asked a question or two while they verify your status on the computer, and you will be on your way.

Arc?

Nobody seems to have responded to a query posted earlier about what is an ARC?

I have travelled about 5 times to India (currently in india for my 5th trip) and once to Europe. Mostly entered through JFK/Newark/Philadelphia airports. Each trip was less than a month. Common questions:

1. How long were you away?
2. What was the purpose of your visit?

Then the officer would scan my GC, stamp my passport, scribble some random number on my custom form and send me on my way. Luckily I have never been harrassed by customs officials (inspite of the random number on the form).

I wonder what is the significance of writing "ARC 3 months" or "ARC 6 months" on the passport.

thanks,
-Sidd

JoeF said:
ARC stands for Alien Resident Card. And the timeframe is of course for how long you were abroad.

I do realize that the timeframe corresponds to the time the alien was out of the country. What I'm wondering is why do the officers scribble the duration in some cases while in some others (for instance, me) they don't. In my case, they have always stamped it with the date of arrival.