what medical exam usually take?

wanzi

Registered Users (C)
what will the doctor usually do?
how many shots I need? so far I know immunization, blood test for HIV,
what esle?

I am trying to ask see if any costs can be covered by my insurance company.
Thanks

by the way, I read some others post stated they all received RFE for medical exam, and sent I-693 by mail. In my case, I was received interview letter and tell me bring my I-693 with me, just wonder what difference.
Thanks for all reviewers.

read this

wanzi said:
what will the doctor usually do?
how many shots I need? so far I know immunization, blood test for HIV,
what esle?

I am trying to ask see if any costs can be covered by my insurance company.
Thanks

What does the medical examination involve?
When the entire medical exam is required, the designated civil surgeon is responsible for ensuring that all of the required components have been completed. The civil surgeon will record the results on Form I-693. For applicants required to have the entire medical exam, all of the following are required. All adjustment of status applicants are required to comply with the vaccination requirements.
• Physical Examination: A physical examination (to include complete disrobing) and a mental status evaluation are required, regardless of age.
• Tuberculin (TB) Skin Test: Applicants age 2 and older are required to have a tuberculin skin test (TST). After the skin test, you will need to return to the civil surgeon in 48 to 72 hours to have the results read. If you have a reaction of 4 millimeters or less, you will not need any further tests for TB. A chest X-ray is required when the reaction to the TST is 5 millimeters or more. The civil surgeon will explain these medical requirements to you in more detail.
• Serologic (Blood) Test: Applicants 15 years of age and older are required to have serologic (blood) tests for HIV and for syphilis.
• Vaccinations: The required vaccination are: mumps, measles, rubella, polio, tetanus, diphtheria toxoids, pertussis, influenza type B, hepatitis B, and any other vaccinations recommended by the Advisory Committee for Immunization Practices (ACIP). Current ACIP recommendations also include the varicella, haemophilius inlfuenzae type B, and pneumococcal vaccines. The civil surgeon will review your vaccination history with you to determine whether you have all the required vaccinations. Make sure you take your vaccination records with you to your appointment with the civil surgeon. Do not try to comply with these requirements before you meet with the civil surgeon, in case it is not medically appropriate for you to have one or more of the required vaccines.

wanzi said:
by the way, I read some others post stated they all received RFE for medical exam, and sent I-693 by mail. In my case, I was received interview letter and tell me bring my I-693 with me, just wonder what difference.

I didn’t submit my medicals with I-485. Never got RFE asking for iteither, just an interview notice (with was canceled later) to bring it with me if I haven’t send it yet.
Unless you one of those lucky people from some states, who gets interview appointment really fast, it makes no difference whoever you sent your medical with I-485, or brought it with you to the interview one (or two) years later, the outcome of your interview will be the same.

Unfortunately immigration medical exam isn’t covered by the insurance. You’ll be very lucky if your does.
Also, it might get costly, so call around to see what they charge. In my area, the first doctor I called asked for $350 + shots, and then I found another for a $250.
They want it in cash only.

wanzi said:
Check with your local county health center. They give some immunization shots at very minimum amount. My husband got everything done in $165.

As far as what I have heard, learned, and researched, you can ONLY get your exam though an approved Doctor. (there is a number that you can call to get that information.. it should be on your forms)
There are only 2 in my area (meaning within 2 hours of me) and it cost me $600 bucks. (the other doc was almost $1200)
There was a huge list of things to be done to me, all I really had done was a TB test, bloodwork, urine sample, and a tetnus shot. I think that some of the immunizations are optional, depending on your religious convictions, and where you are from. I was not required to have any boosters. (But I paid for them. Always nice)
I don't belive that they are covered by insurance, or if it is, you are VERY lucky. Everyone I have talked to (clinics and people) have said that they will not accept insurance coverage for the exam.
You used to have to mail in your I-693, but they recently changed that (at least in the state of FLA) and you now bring it to your AOS interview.

You can get most of tests done at county office. Then county office will send the results to the approved doctor who will put them in the report. The approved doctor only do the physical. I know most of people son't know about this. My county health center was aware of this procedure and did it nicely.

I got my shots done in a county health department as well. Have a vaccination record and the supplemental form all completed for the doctor.

Sooooooo.... basically, I got ripped off.
Nice.
I personally loved that they charged me for an X-ray that they never did.

Civil Surgeon Locator
http://uscis.gov/graphics/exec/cs/index.asp

To sum up...
1. Insurance companies dont cover the cost and its always paid in cash. Fees range from a minumum $140.00 to max $1500.00 for the test.
2. you have to make a lot of calls to get a doctor with a cheaper price
3. Looking for doctors outside your zip code helps in having more options pricewise
4. X-Rays in case of TB tests are covered by insurance
5. Required shots could be taken prior to the medical exam from your PCP and that is covered by insurance. Dont forget to update your vaccination record.
6. All applications that are sent to the lockbox must be accompanied by the I-693 or it would result in RFE. If you sent your app to a DO directly, then the rules of the DO apply. Some ask I-693 to be submitted with the app, and some ask to get it to the interview. Inteview notices have a general format asking you to bring I-693 envelope if not already submitted.

HTH :)

CanadianGrl said:
Sooooooo.... basically, I got ripped off.
Nice.
I personally loved that they charged me for an X-ray that they never did.

Yes, they overcharged you as many-many other people. They know you must take this exam and there is not too many INS certified doctors around so they don’t care if their price is higher then it should be. It’s a shame. :(

Thanks for all of yours respond.
I just searched my area, within 3hours driving distance, there only have ONE doctor, and when I called him, the secartry said he is no longer geting new patients, he is leaviiiiiiiiiing! D...!
Anyway, thanks again.
I think I will check with local hospital first, I just did annual phisical exam in April, see can they sending reports to the doctor, save a dime is a dime.

Remember that the designated civil surgeon is the one that will be doing the physical and filling and sealing the form. The other components of the medical report, shots and tests can potentially be done by any referred (by them or by you and agreed upon by them) facility that can perform the procedures. This means that in some counties and cities, local health department facilities, as long as they send the results back to the referring physician (in your case the civil surgeon). The only variability you will have between the different facilities is how fast they can turn around your test results. If you are in a time crunch, it will matter since certain local health department facilities can take upto two weeks to get your results back.
Also regarding coverage by insurance, most prescribed tests are coded to be an "immigration test" in the prescription which precludes insurance coverage in all but the rare case. So be prepared to foot the bills yourself, even though some testing facilities will insist on running it by your insurance first.
HTH

thanks for all the reply.
just went there. took 4 shots and blood test at outside, need wait one week for results. doctor charge $250 for fill in the forms. still rip me off. He better don't giving wrong forms waste my time