What is the use of Online status check?

Gebre

Registered Users (C)
I was reading the discussion on "ehuang" s question about
the recipt number and checking status on line.
I don't think the on line system tells the right processing time.
If any body has any postive expierience with it ,please tell us your expierence But according to me this system doesn't work
and it is just for fooling us around.
Please your comments on this.
If any body applied on 1998 and I want to know what time frame the sysstem is giving them and compare it with those applied in 2001.

Thanks

Originally posted by Gebre
If any body has any postive expierience with it ,please tell us your expierence But according to me this system doesn't work
If any body applied on 1998 and I want to know what time frame the sysstem is giving them and compare it with those applied in 2001.

Thanks

on dealing I-485files, online checker always tell lie

Thanks

The system gives accurate info on cases other than asyum-based I-485s.

Thanks

This site provides the same information you get from the AVM, and for an asylee is not accurate because information for "I-485 asylees" is in the same group of information for other type of I-485 applications and because other type are the majority, it is not updated for us. So, from the timeframe point of view the information in this site is useless for us. the best source of information is what INS has posted in their page.
However; the site and AVM also allow you to check on I-485 asylee cases that were filed before yours, and consequently track the progress of cases that are ahead of yours.
Once those cases are approved, the message will change to "this case has been approved". When that happens you know that a case that was filed before yours was actually approved; in other words INS is moving forward.
So, you can use the site to check the status of LIN number, different from yours (randomly selected but making sure it corresponds to a receiving date before yours) until you find an I-485 application. Once you get the LIN number, you can track its status periodically until someday you will find that the message has change to "this case has been approved".
I used to check status of cases filed before mine, but using the AVM. Now that this site is available the work is tremendously easier and cheaper also.
In summary, I found this site very useful for that purpose.

Originally posted by canterbury
Alan,

How can you be sure that the cases you randomly checked were asylee adjustment files?

You are not absolutely sure of that; however, because of the year they were filed (1998) most likely those EB cases in that year have already been processed and there is a pretty good chance that any I-485 filed in Nebraska (starting with LIN) in 1998 are I-485 asylee cases.
I have been tracking I-485 cases during the last three years and have found cases filed in 1998 whose message has changed over the time from "it is being processed..." to "this case has been approved".
I know for sure that those I-485 were not I-485 asylees. But, I have also found others cases whose message have not changed. Most likely the latter ones are I-485 asylees.
That is the good thing of the check status online option. It makes everything simpler an obviously cheaper because you don't have to spend money in long distance calls when you use the AVM

Originally posted by canterbury
Which mean that you can at least tell they are I-485s. Can you explain how?

I don't understand your question.

If after you key the receipt LIN number, you get a response like the one below, you know the application filed is an I-485:

Application Type: I485, APPLICATION TO ADJUST TO PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS

Current Status:

Your I485 APPLICATION TO ADJUST TO PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS was received on XXXXXX. We mailed you a receipt with information about processing. It is taking between 420 and 450 days for us to process this kind of case. We will mail you a decision as soon as processing is complete.

And, as I explained before, if the application was filed in 1998 (more precisely after July 1998) most likely it is an I-485 asylee. As simple as that.

Last edited by a moderator:
On line checking

I applied in 2001 and the on line system is telling me ,my case is taking between 420-450 days. This was updated 2 months ago .
before it was saying between 360-390 days.
I don't think any thing you said has nothing to do with the real processing time.

regards

Re: On line checking

I applied in 2001 and the on line system is telling me ,my case is taking between 420-450 days. This was updated 2 months ago .
before it was saying between 360-390 days.
I don't think any thing you said has nothing to do with the real processing time.

regards

I am not quite sure your message was related to one of my posts.
Anyways, I said that the system is usless for us from the timeframe point of view (or real processing time as you call). However, is useful to track when cases that were filed before yours, are being finally approved. Only thing you have to do is find them and check them periodically until they get approved. It takes time, but eventually you will get them. And the online system is great for this purpose.
Hope I made it clear now.

Thanks alanpero1,
I checked my case and here what it says
"Your I485 APPLICATION TO ADJUST TO PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS was received on December 06, 1999".

I tried to change last 2 to 3 last digit just to see if previous case were approved like you suggested but i was getting diffrent category not asylum ,like Orphan , one case was about agriculture. so how do I guess numbers that are asylum based?

Thanks again

Originally posted by cider_or
Thanks alanpero1,
I checked my case and here what it says
"Your I485 APPLICATION TO ADJUST TO PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS was received on December 06, 1999".

I tried to change last 2 to 3 last digit just to see if previous case were approved like you suggested but i was getting diffrent category not asylum ,like Orphan , one case was about agriculture. so how do I guess numbers that are asylum based?

Thanks again

LIN receipt numbers have the following structure: LIN-xx-yyy-5zzzz, where xx denotes the Fiscal year, in your case is FY 2000 so your receipt number must be LIN-00-yyy-5zzzz.
yyy denotes the number of working days (calendar days minus weekends and holidays).
After accounting for two weekend days per week and 52 weeks per year, and 8 holidays per year, the maximum yyy is 365 - 2*52 - 8; thus, 253. In other words, if the receipt is dated October 1st (first day of FY)the yyy number is 001 (if October the 1st is not Saturday or Sunday). If the receipt is dated September 30 (last day of the FY) the yyy number is 253 or some number around.
In your case my guess is thatyour yyy number must be in between 045 and 055 maybe?
The last part of the receipt number 5zzzz always start with 5 and is a kind of correlative number of applications received on that particular date.
So, to find an I-485 asylee case you could start with FY 98 for instance, so the xx number is 98. And, because it has to be after July 98 the yyy number should be greater than 210, I would say. So, a good starting point could be LIN-98-210-50000.
From there play changing the last four digits, until you eventually find an I-485 application. Most likely that application will be an I-485 asylee. You will not find an specific message saying that is an asylee case, but because it was filed so many years ago (four years since 1998) most likely any I-485 you find in 98 will correspond to an asylee case.
It is a time consuming process, but eventually you will find several I-485 applications, and then just check them periodically until some day the message change to "this case has been approved". I found applications by calling and checking messages in the AVM; but now that the online system is in service, everything is easier and cheaper, though it is still a tough process.

Alanpero1, thanks
that was a real good explanation (Teaher kind of like). I could never figure out this by myself.
you right my case is 00-046-5zzzz
thanks again

Originally posted by cider_or
Alanpero1, thanks
that was a real good explanation (Teaher kind of like). I could never figure out this by myself.
you right my case is 00-046-5zzzz
thanks again
You bet.

We do not think we should be doing that, guys.

It is unethical to invade other people's privacy and perhaps illegal too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by usa2002
We do not think we should be doing that, guys.

It is unethical to invade other people's privacy and perhaps illegal too.

I agree it is unethical to invade other people privacy; however, in this case you never get any personal information on anybody. So, you are not invading any privacy, just checking how fast the INS is processing an application filed before yours, which is important for you to know, because our applications are processed on a "first come, first serve" basis.

I wonder if people break any law by doing this? Would it be considered accessing information to which we have no right. I have heard that people are deported for relatively minor crimes. I will ask my lawyer for her opinion.