What is the status of child born abroad after naturalization of one of the parents?

hamelionche

Registered Users (C)
I have one different question and will appreciate your advice.
What is the status of a child born abroad to one american citizen parent, after the naturalization of the parent? I`am naturalized US citizen and I will have my baby born in another country. Can I come back in USA with the baby, and what is the status of the baby - is the baby US citizen born abroad or - will receive permanent resident card (green card) when enter USA? Thanks.

I have one different question and will appreciate your advice.
What is the status of a child born abroad to one american citizen parent, after the naturalization of the parent? I`am naturalized US citizen and I will have my baby born in another country. Can I come back in USA with the baby, and what is the status of the baby - is the baby US citizen born abroad or - will receive permanent resident card (green card) when enter USA? Thanks.
The baby will consider US citizen but you should contact embassy or consulate over there and do the paperwork for ciizenship document and apply for his/her US passport to order to bring him to US.
Good luck

Yes, I would do a careful read. I have never been sure if those 5 years of physical presence had to be as a US citizen, or whether being here as an immigrant also counts toward that goal. Anyway, if you have a chance for the baby to be born in US soil that is your best bet, otherwise you will have to deal with some bureaucracy. Worse comes to worse you can apply for a Green Card for the child and as soon as the child comes to the US with the Green Card that child will become an automatic citizen. That is in case the child doesn't derive citizenship at birth through you as explained in the link that Jackolantern provided.

Those 5 years do not have to be spent as a US citizen.

Yes, I would do a careful read. I have never been sure if those 5 years of physical presence had to be as a US citizen, or whether being here as an immigrant also counts toward that goal.