what is the difference between B1 and B2 visas?

B1 is used for business entry with 3 months max allowed and B2 is a Visitor/Tourist class with a 6 months max allowed at the POE.

I thought people entering on a B1 were also able to stay a maximum of 6 months (depending on the discretion of the POE officer)?

No one is guaranteed a particular length of authorized stay. It is likely that a B1 holder with a need to be in the US a short time would be issued a more limited authorized stay than one with a legitimate need to stay longer. B1 is more typically 3 months.

B2 visa holders who have a pattern of frequent, long visits and EOS, are often issued short stays as well.

The length of authorized stay is determined by the IO at the border based on his evaluation of the circumstances of the visitor.

I did not know that- I thought both B1 and B2 had the potential for a 6 month entry- I did not know B1 was restricted to 3 months only.
Good to know for future reference.

Cheers :D

thansk guys

so the diffeence is in the duration of stay? Those are so called qnantitative differences what about qualitative ones? i mean may be B1 visa for one purpose and B2 for another?