What is the advantage of having EAD?

BlueSapphire

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

Can anyone please tell me if there is any advantage of having EAD when my visa is still valid for 8 more months.

I've applied for I-140 and 485.
140: ND: 6/19/03.
485: ND: 8/30/03.

Thanks in advance!!!

Guess you need it to change jobs after 6 months.

Related question -- Do you need advance parole if you have a valid H1.

Thanks Rasmeek!

What is advance parole? Is it something you need to go out of this country and enter back in?

I am not sure about your question; I will ask my company and see what they have to say.

Does it mean that I will not be able to change jobs after my 140 approval if I don't have EAD? In other words, is it necessary to have EAD in order to change jobs after 140 is approved?

As I knew, 2 conditions should be met in order to be able to change job:
1. 140 should be approved.
2. 6 months should elapse from the date of 485 ND.

Would you please let me know if one must have EAD also along with the above 2 conditions.

EAD is the Employment Authorization.
You need it!!!

You can work in the country on H1 / EAD/ GC / Citizenship.

If you dont have EAD the new company will have to do an H1 and you sure dont want that.

Would appreciate info on Advance Parole.

Rasmeek

Advance parole:

Document issued by BCIS for people who have AOS pending. It allows them to travel abroad and return to the U.S. without a visa.

It can be applied by submitting I-131 with related fees/docs to BCIS after/at time of submitting I-485.

If the applicant didn't apply for Advanced Parole at the time filing AOS application, and he/she genuine emergency need to go temporarily out of US, and he/she can prove that, then he/she can go to nearest BCIS office and get it immediately(may be on the spot or within 2-3 days.)

Last edited by a moderator:
LiveAndLetLive and BlueSapphire

Advantage of EAD:

One can use EAD for partime work along with fulltime and that is not possible with H1-B without getting second one.

Thanks everyone.

Thanks everyone!!! I appreciate all the info. It has been very helpful to be a member of this forum.

Now, since my visa is still valid, I don't need EAD to travel abroad and return. Is that right?

usnycus, now I understand why my company is hesitating to apply for my EAD also.

BlueSapphire

EAD is not a traveling document by itself. You need either VISA or Advance Parole to enter US.

You also need EAD to work in case you have problem getting into US using H-1B and opted to use Advance parole at Port of Entry.

Last edited by a moderator: