what is rfe?

noo

Registered Users (C)
can anyone tell me what rfe means?
does everybody receives rfe after the filing of I-485 application

RFE = Request for Evidence

First thing to realize if you get an RFE it means that someone is looking at your case and its not sitting on some shelf.

RFE is sent out when INS needs more information about your case or basically information re-verify what you have sent them previously. Some forms of RFE are

1) Evidence proving your employment which requires an employment letter and sometimes paystubs too.
2) Redoing your Medicals because either they are expired or because you missed some shots when you first did the medical part
3) Evidence to back up you birth claim. That is if you provided affidavits or an illegible birth certificate they may require to send other forms of proof
4) Evidence of a marriage. Certificate or affidavit from your consulate.

These are probably not all of them. Bascially it comes down to a doubt in the officers mind who is looking at your case and what he/she may think you have to provide to further substantiate your case. Not every I-485 application gets an RFE sometimes its just luck of the draw. I was lucky enough not to get any forms of RFE for my case (approved 4/22/2002)

It\'s not by the luck of draw

Whether you get an RFE or not someone has to look into your case before deciding on the case.

When they look into your case and see any discrepancy they want to clarify it by sending "REQUEST FOR EVIDENCE". As you said in case of employment letter may be for "Re-Verify"(If the case is too old, they might want to see if the person is dead or alive).

In any case if you do not get an RFE it means, the examiner is satisfied with the evidence you have supported for the case and good to be adjudicated. Else RFE.