• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

What is Petitioner?

Commy

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

Please I have a question under Form D-230 Part II, No. 29 where the Name & Address of Petitioner is asked to be given. What do they mean by that.
Thanks.

Petitioner is the person who won the lottery. So, if you have family members you will put your name in the D-230 Part II Q 29.

Hi all,

Please I have a question under Form D-230 Part II, No. 29 where the Name & Address of Petitioner is asked to be given. What do they mean by that.
Thanks.

thanx for dragoman on illuminating me too. I had the same question in my mind. and now I got my answer. thanx a lot.

Dragonman

Thanks for your contribution. Now u mentioned the winner and then family. I have a spouse, am I fillinf both our names on the "Petitioner"?

Petitioner is the person who won the lottery. So, if you have family members you will put your name in the D-230 Part II Q 29.

I have filled the forms with my wife who won DV2008 but in the forms for petitioner ( we assumed that is the person who is fileing for visa ) in each form we put our names .
Would this be a big mistake or it can be corrected on the interview?

Thanks for your contribution. Now u mentioned the winner and then family. I have a spouse, am I fillinf both our names on the "Petitioner"?
If you are the DV winner, you are the petitioner. Since your wife is beneficiary of your winning, you have to write your name and address for Q29 in your wife's DS-230 Part ii.

hi i'm a DV winner and i'm married but we write in this question of petitionner N/A both of us
should we send email to KCC to correct it or we can correct it when we will have an interview

I think it is not a big mistake, but it is better to ask KCC..

I have filled the forms with my wife who won DV2008 but in the forms for petitioner ( we assumed that is the person who is fileing for visa ) in each form we put our names .
Would this be a big mistake or it can be corrected on the interview?

Yes ! send email and keep all correspondence..Ask them if you have to fill new forms..

hi i'm a DV winner and i'm married but we write in this question of petitionner N/A both of us
should we send email to KCC to correct it or we can correct it when we will have an interview

so i have send an email today to kcc
and when they will answer me i will be told you what to they ask me to do

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

Thanks.
Hi Commy
I think petitioner maend sponsor as in this link is written in part:Affidavit of Support Forms - National Visa Center (NVC) Role
http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3183.html
So I think petitioner is the person who sends u I134 and supports u.
in form DS-230 u have wrote your address in No.13
Good luck

Hi Commy
I think petitioner maend sponsor as in this link is written in part:Affidavit of Support Forms - National Visa Center (NVC) Role
http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3183.html
So I think petitioner is the person who sends u I134 and supports u.
in form DS-230 u have wrote your address in No.13
Good luck
No, it is not. "Petitioner" is a person who files a petition for green card. In case of family-based immigrant visas, petitioners are USC or LPR. In case of employment-based immigrant visas, petitioners are usually employers. In case of DV, petitioner is the person who won DV, and the person petitions the goverment to issue GC for him/herself and family members, such as spouse and unmarried children under 21 so that they receive GC as well as the winner. What you are talking about is sponser. In cases like family-based immigrant visas, petitioner and sponser is often same person.

Last edited by a moderator:
Petitioner

Hi

I made the same mistake and i wrote the name of our sponsor for petitioner part...i dont know if its a big mistake or not...i sent an email to kcc.please let me know if u have made the same mistake and u have kcc reply over this issue.

Dear Friends

I wanna solve this problem ONCE 4 EVER!
this is the KCC's reply about the meaning of "PETITIONER":D

"The petitioner refers to the principal applicant in the Diversity Visa Program.The DV Lottery Program is a self petitioned program."

Good Luck All

i have just receive an answer email from KCC they told me :

Thank you for your inquiry.

This does not affect the processing of your case.

Petitioner

"I have just receive an answer email from KCC they told me :

This does not affect the processing of your case."

I called KCC too and was given the same answer. IT IS NOT APPLICABLE TO DV LOTTERY.

"I have just receive an answer email from KCC they told me :

This does not affect the processing of your case."

I called KCC too and was given the same answer. IT IS NOT APPLICABLE TO DV LOTTERY.
It was already said in this thread that it is not a huge mistake to answer wrong to that question, meaning it won't affect your case. However, IT iS APPLICABLE TO DV LOTTERY, so whoever gave you that answer, was wrong!

I know this is little bit an old thread, i have done the same mistake and i wanted to know from @Commy if that mistake of puting the sponsor instead of the winner in the Name & Address of the Petitioner did affect his application and how he's doing now, are you in the US?

To @Anahit: what do you mean with " IT iS APPLICABLE TO DV LOTTERY, so whoever gave you that answer, was wrong!" ????? The KCC guys answered him so why you say "so whoever gave you that answer, was wrong!"?

Thank you all