What is name check and

Al_aos

Registered Users (C)
How is it different from Finger printing.
Is it done at the time you your FPs for the first time or done at the time of approval or near to it
.????/

In "Name check" (as the name suggests) they run your name through the database of known/suspected criminals/terrorists. Apparently (from the post here) the name check is valid only for a month or so.

Al_aos said:
How is it different from Finger printing.
Is it done at the time you your FPs for the first time or done at the time of approval or near to it
.????/

So basically once they pick up your case they probably ask for name check
and once they get it everything remaing good you getan approval.
I have LUD of 24th JUNE.
My Fps expire on AUg 23 so maybe they are running a name check.
Anyway I can find out if it has been done.
Thanks

Life of IBIS Clearance: In the immigration adjudication process, one of the most obnoxious culprit that causes backlog is IBIS name check for criminals and security risk aliens. For the three years, the immigration agency worked on a rule that the adjudicators conduct the name check before adjudication and the check remained valid "only for 35 days!" Accordingly, should the adjudication fail to complete within 35 days, the adjudicators had to redo the IBIS check over and over again. Not only the IBIS check takes time but also such work demanded a tremendous man/hour workloads leading to the eventual accumulation of backlogs. Recently, USCIS study revealed that the life of IBIS check can last longer than 35 days for the purpose of its intended detection of criminals and secruity risk aliens and has decided to change it from 35 days to "90 days." This is indeed a welcome move. This move will certainly help processing times of I-485 adjudications.

If you want to read more, see http://www.immigration-law.com/, 07/03/2004: USCIS Actions for Backlog Reduction posting.

Name Check Question

How do we know that a case is pending name check? and whom to contact regarding this .

I had my FP2 on 6/26/04 and my LUD changed to 7/8/04, nothing changed in the message.

Shank37 said:
How do we know that a case is pending name check? and whom to contact regarding this .

I had my FP2 on 6/26/04 and my LUD changed to 7/8/04, nothing changed in the message.

Can you post your case details. Do not worry too much. you may get approved after 2nd FP. I did my 2nd FP on the same days as yours. My case status is not updated yet. Good luck!

trust me you don't want a name check.

thats what i'm going thru...

its been 3 years (almost) since i applied for 485 and 9 months since i replied to rfe.

i know for fact that my case is in name check shit. thats what ins told my lawyers

And there is CIA checks too

See this Google group thread:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g...selm=Es7Lb.85895$I07.420177@attbi_s53&rnum=13

It is correct that there is no CIA check for N-400 applicants. CIA check is
done for I-485
, Amnesty and other applicants; other than N-400 and N-600.
For CIA check the USCIS sends applicant's G-325 (Biographic Information
Form) copy to CIA.

Though this mail is related to citizenship, there are some more about name check:

For unknown reasons, FBI has been holding off name check requests from
USCIS for certain individuals until the applicants contacts FBI.
Applicants
interested in checking the status of this check should fax a status request
to 202-324-3367 David Hardy, Chief RID Section, FBI Headquarters,
Washington, DC 20535 with his/her full name, DOB, country of birth, home
address, home telephone no., A# and USCIS petition number and a return fax
number. They normally respond in 10 days. David Hardy at FBI is the Chief
of RID section that handles Name Check requests. If anyone finds out that
the name check has been pending for a long time write a letter to Mr. Hardy
requesting to "expedite the processing of name check request from USCIS"
bringing to his attention the time period the name check has been pending.
In addition, you can write to Robert J. Garrity Jr. Executive Assistant
Director, Records Management Division at FBI Headquarters; Mr. Garrity is
Mr. Hardy's boss. Also FBI Headquarters main number is: 202-324-3000 (ask
the operator to transfer you to a supervisor in Mr. Hardy's section).

Last edited by a moderator:
sfbay_area_guy said:
trust me you don't want a name check.

thats what i'm going thru...

its been 3 years (almost) since i applied for 485 and 9 months since i replied to rfe.

i know for fact that my case is in name check shit. thats what ins told my lawyers
------------------------------
(1) From this Post I'm gathering that everyone goes through namecheck, correct ?
(2) Only when your file is touched (2nd FP recd), they will do the namecheck and not before that, true ?
Thanks !