What is my permanent resident date ?

JohnnyCash said:

Please listen, I’ve recollected my knowledge on ALL the immigration laws available in the book on your specific situation, including contacting many prominent immigration attorneys (at least 13 of them), but still we all could not be able to find a law under which you could have been admitted in the US except a refugee status. And since I also like to be challenged then believe me- I’ve done very extensive research on this matter, and I even went beyond my ways to figure it out the legal basis for allowing you to migrate to US, and all I came up-refugee status. Besides, whatever special decree might have been ordered by President under INA 207 as JoeF mentioned, yet still they all are for a ‘refugee status’ anyway.

Instead I said that the white card which was issued to you at your arrival over here is ONLY issued to a refugee/asylee once his/her claim is granted. Refugee and asylee is a temporary status granted to a person based upon the merit of his/her case.
Again, I’m not talking here about Advance Parole based upon pending I-485.

If you still believe that you did not obtain refugee status then can you have any hunt of yours on this matter?

I think you should try hard to find the copy of that form.
/

Johnny,

Looking at your postings and deep-down analysis of immigration laws of admissibility (Even being a software engineer, I can not over analyze this sotware program like you did :confused: )

I'm overwhelmed how you are reverse-engineering(by tracking down 10 years back) the resuling status of Anahit. Appreciated your knowledge with patience to share with others. :)

Anahit said:
Again, parolee is not a refugee or asylee.
I mean I know a lot of people with the same status, but they filed for refugee status. None of them filed the application that I did, which was named "Immigrant Form".

The problem is you could not confirm what you are believing even with the series of facts you had been thru. It's very difficult to make you believe unless you can find paper work OR you can call USCIS or discuss with local CIS officer about the original/initial Nature of your immigration status.

Again, Parole is just a 'permission to enter US' and nothing says about your status in US. POE, does not let you in the USA without assiging you a status. That's why POE granted you refugee/asylee status (whitecard stuff) and paroled into US.

It's difficult to convince some one with pre-occupied mind set.

Johnny,
I really appreciate your efforts trying to figure this out. If you want to look at the response letter I got for our interview in Moscow, I can scan it tonight. That's the only paper I have in both languages - Russian and English.
One more thing: I never said no one sponsored me. If we were granted refugee status, we wouldn't need a sponsor, but because we were allowed to come with parole status we were required to find a sponsor who would fill out I-134 for us. At that time I knew some refugees here in LA, who I contacted for that. They helped me to find a sponsor who filled out the Affidavit of Support for us.
As for finding that form, I don't think it's possible. First, I don't know if those forms are still around. Second, I am not sure I would recognize it. But, I would give anything to get the copy of the original one I sent to them in 1990. Maybe there is a way to make a request for that.
And, maybe we just got lucky to get a permission to come to US somehow, but our overall experience with the immigration services is far from being a “VIP” treatment.

Anahit

I don’t think that it is a good idea to contact USCIS in person in order to find out the basis of your LPR as someone earlier said to you. Because it may raise a red flag in their eyes/minds if they ever find out that you don’t even know why you were here at first hand. And then, they might suspect that your LPR was based upon fraudulent claim if you would repeatedly keep saying to them too that you did not ask for a refugee but infact if it will turn out that you really got a refugee status in the US. Then, you will be placed on a deportation proceeding after revocation of all the immigration benefits that might have granted to you so far.

I think it is better for you to locate your record in your possession than contacting USCIS in person. I don’t know where do you stand now. I mean-if you are already a US citizen or if you already had a successful citizenship interview then just forget all this. If US govt. would ever open your case again in the future in order to deport you then you can ask them to provide you the copies of each document of your entire immigration file. Once a person becomes a US citizen, his/her each and every single immigration file is consolidated in one folder. If you still insist to know why you were here at first hand then you can request the copies of your files under FOIPA thru USCIS, if you want.

Earlier when I said that you were not sponsored by anyone then I was referring to the ‘immigration sponsorship’ for a petition for an immigrant visa like I-140, I-130, I-360 which must need to be approved before a person can even move for I-485 or CP.I was not talking about ‘financial sponsorship’ like I-134, I-864 which comes in play only when immigrant visa is filed thru either I-485 or CP at abroad. Laws have been changed in this regard 3-4 yrs ago. Now, refugee applicants are exempt for the requirement of submitting financial sponsorship.

Even though you feel that you perhaps just got lucky to get a permission to come to US somehow, but still there must be a legal ground for you to be that lucky to get a permission to come to US. I can also understand that your overall experience with the immigration services might not have been as “VIP” treatment. But I was talking your initial experience with US govt. when they treated you as a VIP when they permitted you to move to US for a LPR even though you did not ask for a refugee status AND you only expressed your wish to migrate to US. I’ve a friend in another country who were denied a US visa at least 37 times even though she has everything to qualify for. She used to go to US Embassy everyday to make a request to visit here, but US Embassy kept denied her request each time. And finally, they stamped her passport with a red stamp, which means-she is not allowed to come to US Embassy until 2 yrs. So far she has lost almost $25,000 on entry fee to get into the US Embassy because US Embassy has a entry fee in her country each time you go inside for a nonimmigrant visa, which is non-refundable regardless a visa is granted or not. So in that sense, you really had a “VIP” treatment.

If you want me to take a look at the letter that you got after your interview in Moscow as to their response then you can scan it but hide all the personal information on it. Nevertheless, believe me, you were granted the refugee status, particularly when you already said earlier that US Embassy in Moscow apologized to you for not granting a refugee status.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the post Johnny.
Just tell me one thing: How was I granted the refugee status, if they apologized for not granting that status to me.

Anahit

"How was I granted the refugee status, if they apologized for not granting that status to me"

I believe I’ve already answered to you earlier on this when I said that the US Embassy in Moscow could not be able to make a decision in your case because you told them so many goody things such as- that you had no complaints whatsoever against your country, and that you had job there, and that you had your education there, and that you just wanted your children to have a education in the US, which might have really puzzled them. Because, at one hand-you were telling them all these goody stuffs without showing any problem in your country, but then on the other hand-you had filed a refugee application AND you were indeed being interviewed on a refugee application-even though it’s seemed obvious that you did not pay attention to that application when you filled and filed it.

Thereafter, the US Embassy in Moscow was under the impression (obviously mistakenly) that you were scared of yours and your family life if you had told them something bad about your country, which had been the case with thousands of refugee/asylum seekers. Most of times they are pretty much scare of their life (or their loved ones’ lives who might have left in back home). It has been widely reported and US officials are also aware of this. Matter of fact, it is still happening in Somalia, Sudan and Cuba. That’s why US Embassy also thought the same in your case even though you and I both know that this was not the case with you. But that’s what it’s seemed. Otherwise, anyone in his right mind would wonder that why would someone file a refugee application at first place if s/he is so happy in his/her country? So the US Embassy also thought the same. They did not know what to do with you at that time. Whether to grant you a refugee status right there and then, or just let you go to US on parole to have your claim be decided by officials here. So they decided to permit you to let you go US on parole. And when you arrived here at the airport, they let you entered as a parolee and then granted you a refugee status. That’s why you were given a white card. And that’s why you were required to file for LPR after living here for a year.

However, there is a difference between a refugee claim and an asylum claim. For an asylum claim, applicants need to prove their claim with ‘clear and convincing evidence’ that they will be prosecuted or will be inhumanely tortured if they would return back to their homeland. The people from China, Russia, Northern part of India-Punjab, Cambodia, and some countries in Africa usually claim for an asylum. But on the other hand, a refugee doesn’t need to prove anything. A refugee status is automatically granted (obviously under numerical limitation of accepting country) to those who are the national of those countries, which have been declared as ‘unstable countries as political wise’. Refugee people are given the shelter in many countries in the world. As well, refugee people also get money from the United Nation. Thousands of refugees from Afghanistan have been living in India for more than 20 yrs when Soviet Union occupied their country in 80s. They don’t work, but they still live in a bungalow and maintain a very lavish lifestyle based on the money they receive from United Nation each month. Because, the money is in US dollars. I’ve personally noticed this.

And I also told you that during that time, America had opened its doors for refugees from Albania, Armenia and Afghanistan. It is same when America opened its doors for refugees from former states of Czechoslovakia and Somalia in Clinton’s time. The reason why some people’s application did not get any response who had filed the same application like you did, because each country has a cap on the number of refugees to allow to live in their country. You were just lucky that you were chosen to be in US in response to your application that you filed in Washington; otherwise you could have been ended up with any other western countries, including Canada and Australia if you would have chosen to file a refugee claim with them.

By the way, have you given a thought of what I've said earlier? Let me repeat-how can you be so sure that you did not get a refugee status particularly when you don't even know why you were allowed to be here at first place? At least, I have facts and a law to support my position on your case. Do you have any hunt of yours on this? But that hunt must have to be based upon laws and facts like I have on your case when I earlier proved you why you were indeed granted a refugee status. So obviously, your hunt should not be based upon empty personal beliefs. I know that you don't want to hear/admit/believe that you were indeed granted a refugee status, but the facts and evidences are saying differently than your personal beliefs. I'm sorry if this is not what you expected to hear about the basis of your LPR, but I had no other choice except to make a fair and honest analysis of your case based upon the evidences and facts are provided here by you. I'm sorry.

Anahit said:
"How was I granted the refugee status, if they apologized for not granting that status to me"
You can able to believe only if you free-up pre-conceived notions and can provide us 'actual continuos facts' NOT conflicting/confusing information.

We are all do understand that 'you dont wanna admit/agree/realize that you got immigration benefits thru REFUGEE Status, which is quite common/popular with east europian(former USSR) nations.

JohnnyCash said:
By the way, have you given a thought of what I've said earlier? Let me repeat-how can you be so sure that you did not get a refugee status particularly when you don't even know why you were allowed to be here at first place? At least, I have facts and a law to support my position on your case. Do you have any hunts of yours on this? But that hunt must have to be based upon laws and facts like I have on your case when I say that you were indeed granted a refugee status. That hunt should not be based upon empty beliefs. I know that you don't want to hear/admit/believe that you were indeed granted a refugee status, but the facts and evidences are saying differently than your beliefs. I'm sorry if this is not what you expected to hear about the basis of your LPR, but I had no other choice except to make a fair and honest analysis of your case based upon the evidences and facts are provided here. I'm sorry.

Anahit,
If you dont know what application you filed and what for in Moscow and what you got at POE, how come you are so sure of denying the REFUGEE status. It's just a matter of believing your self.

Anahit

How is it if I ask you in return-why are you so sure that you were not granted a refugee status if you did not file any other application except the one you filed in 1990? Otherwise, it has already been proven that the application which you filed in 1990 was indeed an application for a refugee status particularly when you have admitted by your own admission that US Embassy told you after your interview that they could not grant a refugee status to you. Point to be remember: Refugee Status. Do you honestly think US govt. had allowed you to come and live here just because you are highly educated; or just because you might be so lucky; or just because you expressed your wishes of having your children's education in the US alone? Believe me- nothing cut anything off here.

Anahit

The easiest why to figure out for certain how you got your GC (the true basis) is to tell us the code that your Permanent Resident Card has listed under "Category". For instance E2x is employment based second category (EB2), with the "x" indicating the subsection withing EB2.

Anahit, what do you have under Category?

Sand Diego said:
The easiest why to figure out for certain how you got your GC (the true basis) is to tell us the code that your Permanent Resident Card has listed under "Category". For instance E2x is employment based second category (EB2), with the "x" indicating the subsection withing EB2.

Anahit, what do you have under Category?

Right. You can also find on I-485 approval notice too.

Hi everybody. Sorry, I wasn't able to get back to you earlier. I appreciate all your feedbacks.
I, certainly, did not mean to give you any conflicting/confusing information. I try to tell you everything I know to clear this confusion up for myself, in the first place.
The fact that we were told that we couldn't get REFUGEE status DOES tell me that the original application was obviously for refugee benefits, I just didn't pay attention to it. I already agreed to Johnny's assumption that at the interview they probably thought we were scared to say anything, even though it really wasn't hard to see that it wasn't the case. But, that's not important. At this point, that's the only logical explanation I see.
The reason I am sure that we did not get a REFUGEE status is because they said they couldn't grant us a REFUGEE status, instead, they let us come to U.S. as PAROLEE / PUBLIC INTEREST. At the POE we got the white cards with a stamp: Parolee / Public Interest. Also, I knew a lot af people with REFUGEE status, and we never got the benefits they had.
Our category of admission was LA6.

Thanks

JoeF said:
From http://www.refugeesinpa.org/program/RefugeeinPA/refugeedoc.asp
"So-called "Lautenberg" Parolees, issued I-551s with adjustment code LA6, are also ineligible for refugee services"
http://www.visalaw.com/04may3/2may304.html
"Public Law 101-67, also known as the Specter Amendment (formerly the Lautenberg Amendment) allows for the adjustment of status of individuals who are nationals of the former Soviet Union, Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. These parolees may apply for green cards if they were paroled into the US between August 15, 1988 and September 30, 2004."
Thank you, Joe. I was looking for that law, PL 101-67. I saw it on the papers that came with the green card approval letter. I'll read the link you provided.

I, actually, remembered PL 101-167, but when I saw 101-67 in your post yesterday, I thought I was wrong (I did not have the paper with me to check). I'll check it tonight, but I am pretty much sure it was 101-167.

INS Answer

I went to INS office in Boston. I spoke to INS Officer, She said that my permanent resident date is 12/15/XXXX (which is on green card) not 12/18/XXXX (which is on I-485 approval). I also showed her I-551 stamp on which it says "permanent resident since 12/18/XXXX". But still insisted that right date is 12/15/XXXX, becuase she has pulled up two screens and by putting my A number, she is getting 12/15/XXXX as resident date.

I am very confused now. everyone on this board has said that approval date is right, but INS is saying that green card date is right. Who is right ?
Please help.

citizen2006 said:
I went to INS office in Boston. I spoke to INS Officer, She said that my permanent resident date is 12/15/XXXX (which is on green card) not 12/18/XXXX (which is on I-485 approval). I also showed her I-551 stamp on which it says "permanent resident since 12/18/XXXX". But still insisted that right date is 12/15/XXXX, becuase she has pulled up two screens and by putting my A number, she is getting 12/15/XXXX as resident date.

I am very confused now. everyone on this board has said that approval date is right, but INS is saying that green card date is right. Who is right ?
Please help.
What date does your green card show? Is it your date of entry? And, what is the category on your green card?

Anahit

I got green card through employer. My category was EB2. Card shows 12/15/XXXX. I did not do consulate processing.

It is not a question of 3 days difference. I think if date does not match then they might reject my citizenship application.

Ok, your logic is, that if you send a copy of your Permanent Resident card and use that day in your application, and if every USCIS employee sees the same date in their computer system, you are telling me that your citizenship application is going to be denied?

If you feel that you need to get to the bottom of this, or you are having nightmares about it, you are certainly within your right to make more appointments with USCIS...