What is more important?

Mr. Green

Registered Users (C)
On an I-485 application, what is more important, the Priority Date or Filing date?

For example, someone like me who was stuck in LC since July 2002 applied for I-485 in August 2005, should I expect to have my approval before someone whose Priority Date is August 2003 and applied for I-485 in December 2004?

I know that it is hard to tell, but what should be the expectation? By the way I do realize that the expectation and reality might be completely different in this case :D

Mr. Green said:
On an I-485 application, what is more important, the Priority Date or Filing date?

For example, someone like me who was stuck in LC since July 2002 applied for I-485 in August 2005, should I expect to have my approval before someone whose Priority Date is August 2003 and applied for I-485 in December 2004?

I know that it is hard to tell, but what should be the expectation? By the way I do realize that the expectation and reality might be completely different in this case :D

Here is my guess..

The RD is important if your PD is current (or when it becomes current).
So I guess if your PD becomes current then all cases with a current PD and an RD earlier than yours will get processed/touched assuming all security checks are done.

just my 2 cents

veryblue said:
Here is my guess..

The RD is important if your PD is current (or when it becomes current).
So I guess if your PD becomes current then all cases with a current PD and an RD earlier than yours will get processed/touched assuming all security checks are done.

just my 2 cents

What you said makes a lot of sense, eventhough it means that I will have atleast 2 more years of waiting until USCIS reaches my RD!

What gives me hope is that my I-140 was approved in about two weeks. I applied in Mid August 2005, while the official USCIS website shows that they are processing I-140 cases for applicants with an RD of October 2004! This gives me some hope :eek:

Mr. Green said:

Mr Green,

Priority Date is meaningless in Ur case -- as U are EB2...
As long as EB2 is current world wide -- U are cruising much without any hurdles..

Good luck

Nadi said:
Mr Green,

Priority Date is meaningless in Ur case -- as U are EB2...
As long as EB2 is current world wide -- U are cruising much without any hurdles..

Good luck

How about the hurdle of Receipt Date? I'm assuming they won't get to my application until the web site shows that they are processing Applications received in August 2005, which could be a year and a half from now (Do you call this cruising? :D ). Am I being pessimistic?

Mr. Green said:

Both PD and 485 RD are relevant.

Think of it as 2 separate queues ..... you move up the first Q based on PD and get "re-queued" based on 485 RD.

If your category is current, the only Q is based on RD.

In the end, you need your PD --AND-- RD to be current to be adjudicated.

Of course, this is the way its supposed to happen -- there will obviously be cases that didn't follow this path ... but its more like the exception.

max2k1 said:
Both PD and 485 RD are relevant.

Think of it as 2 separate queues ..... you move up the first Q based on PD and get "re-queued" based on 485 RD.

If your category is current, the only Q is based on RD.

In the end, you need your PD --AND-- RD to be current to be adjudicated.

Of course, this is the way its supposed to happen -- there will obviously be cases that didn't follow this path ... but its more like the exception.

Does what you just said apply more for EB3 cases? If what Nadi said is correct, I would never be considered ahead of another EB2 applicant who was more lucky in getting his LC faster because all what counts is RD?

Mr. Green said:
Does what you just said apply more for EB3 cases? If what Nadi said is correct, I would never be considered ahead of another EB2 applicant who was more lucky in getting his LC faster because all what counts is RD?
Am pretty sure that for EB2 cases (or those that are not retrogressed) 485 RD is the most important date.

For retro affected cases, I've seen adjudications happen solely based on PD only !!!

I've not heard of cases being processed by PD when it is not retrogressed -- "PD current" almost always means 485 will be processed based on RD/ND

Eb1-rd

hi All...........If June 2004 RD for I-485 is current then Will it be wrong if I expect some news in next couple of months for my case with RD of OCT 2004 in EB1-OR case as I don't have to worry about PD........

kiran_or said:
hi All...........If June 2004 RD for I-485 is current then Will it be wrong if I expect some news in next couple of months for my case with RD of OCT 2004 in EB1-OR case as I don't have to worry about PD........
You can expect to see something IF ALL of the following holds true

(1) Assumption that the RD moves ahead at the same rate
(2) Your namecheck is cleared !!

Thanks!
I hope NSC moves ahead with same pace!
on the other hand it was difficult to beleive that in last 15 days they moved from feb to june 2004 as we didn't see many happy faces on this forum too.
I must say NSC workd hard on NIW and EB1 cases in near past as they went from JUNE 2003 to March 2005 in thespan to 5-6 months and it was clearly seen in the forum too.!

ALL TEH BEST NSC waiters!!!

Cross your fingers, sometimes NSC processes applications beyond what they show on their web site. Look at my I-140! Keep the faith :D

EB3 April 2004

Hi All,

Iam from EB3 category from India and my 140 got cleared in March 2005. My RD for 485 is March 2004. Would my application be cleared as the dates have moved to June 2004 on the current processing.

What happens when the processing dates moves past your RD.

Thanks

Selva