What is I 89?

GreedyCard

Registered Users (C)
I received a letter from TSC that they were unable to complete the card with the documents initially submitted. A complete I-89 with photos is required to complete the processing.

What is this I 89. I didnt find much information about this online. I thought this form is only for those whose I-485 is approved. Does it mean mine is already approved?

My Details:
Priority Date: EB2: 05/2002
I-140 Filed 06/05/2006 - Approved 06/2006
I-485 Filed 06/05/2006 -
Finger Printing completed 06/25/2006

I received a letter from TSC that they were unable to complete the card with the documents initially submitted. A complete I-89 with photos is required to complete the processing.

What is this I 89.
Form I-89 Data Collection Form
http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/14mar20010800/edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2003/8cfr264.5.htm

I didnt find much information about this online.
I thought this form is only for those whose I-485 is approved.
---------------------that is correct and that form is also for those who enter US with immigrant visa
Does it mean mine is already approved?

My Details:
I-485 Filed 06/05/2006 -
-------------- I think you need to go to local USCIS office with infopass and officer will take your signature, thumb print on white form with your 2 front face photographs and then mail the form to service center and then service center sends it for Card production unit. those who enter US with Immigrant visa then at POE the officer takes the photo, signature,Fingerprint on white I-89 form and sends it for Card production.

Most probably your I-485 is approved or almost approved. Set up an infopass appointment with your local USCIS Service Center.

Questions regarding I-89 are available in this site's FAQ section. I have copied the answer below:

"At the time when one goes to receive the I-551 (green card) stamping of an I-485 approval, the USCIS Officer will fill out the I-89 Form, which is a request put in for the green card to be made by the Service Center. Please note the USCIS Officials are responsible in filling out this form and submitting it to the Service Center."

What is this I 89. I didnt find much information about this online. I thought this form is only for those whose I-485 is approved. Does it mean mine is already approved?

My Details:
I-485 Filed 06/05/2006 -

This is exactly what happened to me. Sometime in february of this year, I got a mail saying that I need to go there to do I-89. I-89 is the form that you enter your signature (the one that goes on the card itself) and you enter a couple of fingerprints.

I never received an approval note, nor my message online changes, so I really had no idea what was going on. However, I scheduled an ADIT (at infopass) for the earliest time the next day, and was surprised to know that my green card was approved back in january (more than on month earlier), so I ended up giving my photos, signature, fingerprint and in exchange, the officer stamped my passport right away.

Good luck, this might be the case for you, but if not, you are really close.

Thank you all for the information. I took the Infopass appointment and went to the INS Local Office.

It seems The Interviewing Officer doesnt know anything - she didn't answer any of my questions whether my I-485/GC is approved or not. But she simply read the TSC letter and said OK you need to fill the I-89 and took the photos and finger print.

So, now all I have to do is cross my fingers and wait for the mail....
:confused:

Last edited by a moderator: