• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

What is good about having a US Green Card?

high earner ??in what field ?? dollar is so weak and will be evn weaker so any salary you have in the US can not match salaries in EU -even compared with Eastern Europe salaries in the USA are taking plunge last 2 decades AND SPEED THEY ARE GOING DOWN IS GETTING FASTER - say you are IT nad you make 40 000 dollars per year AFTER THE TAXES -that is ONLY ABOUT 27-28 000 EUROS which you can GET IN EVERY EU COUNTRY EVEN EE ( east Europe )-I know more then few people who make that kind of money in Poland and Slovakia -
SAME THINGS GOES FOR ALMOST EVERY HIGH TECH JOBS -ONLY FOR SOMEONE FOR ASIA OR SOUTH AMRICA COULD BE PROBLEM TO GET INTO EU SO USA IS THE ONLY CHOICE

high earner ??in what field ?? dollar is so weak and will be evn weaker so any salary you have in the US can not match salaries in EU -even compared with Eastern Europe salaries in the USA are taking plunge last 2 decades AND SPEED THEY ARE GOING DOWN IS GETTING FASTER - say you are IT nad you make 40 000 dollars per year AFTER THE TAXES -that is ONLY ABOUT 27-28 000 EUROS which you can GET IN EVERY EU COUNTRY EVEN EE ( east Europe )-I know more then few people who make that kind of money in Poland and Slovakia -
SAME THINGS GOES FOR ALMOST EVERY HIGH TECH JOBS -ONLY FOR SOMEONE FOR ASIA OR SOUTH AMRICA COULD BE PROBLEM TO GET INTO EU SO USA IS THE ONLY CHOICE

High earner is $US100k plus to me. For some it's higher. I don't know about IT, but in the medical field it's hard for Europe to match the US because of the way their Health Systems are set up.

$$$$

I know some friends who work in Saudi Arabia and United arab emirates who earn more than TAX FREE 150 K /year plus accomodation, and free air tickets, free furniture, transportation...etc.... i mean it is not only beacause of money you go to US, there are much more considerations....

Bentlebee,

I am counting the minutes to move to U.S. even if all people in the world say UK is better than U.S.

What about income taxes in U.S.?
(in UK we pay no tax for the first £6000. 20% on the first £34800. 40% on anything over £34800)

There are 3 different types of taxes that each state uses in different combination.

Income tax
Sales tax
Property tax

There are about 5 or 5 states that have no income tax. But they might have higher Property and Sales tax to cover it. There are other states that have no Sales tax.
But other than State tax, everyone has to pay fedral income tax. There is a minimum wage below which there is no income tax. But over that limit, everyone pays tax. A good source of information would be IRS site (Internal Revenue Service)

thanks for your info. I am planning to move to CA which is one of the most expensive places in the U.S. I know WA is cheaper but As my friend told me there are less jobs in WA and for many jobs you need to be citizen. Also the weather is better in CA, I am sick and tired of UK weather. All the way, does anybody have an idea how much a typical life for a couple and a 2-year baby in CA cost per month?

Hi USAHolic,

I have been in WA for over a decade.
CA being a bigger state would offer more jobs, but Seattle/Redmond area of WA is rich in high tech job, it'll be rare to find a similiar place in CA's Silicon Valley.

In terms of aero space, Everett, Renton are better than any place in US. For that matter, better than any Airbus opertaion at Europe too.

My neighbors are from UK and we are all very happy to be here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys,

Would like to ask some questions. Please bear in mind I'm not very good with the tax system in the United States and therefore I would like to know:

1). I'm currently a currency trader, and I have a full time job, but by the time I have enough fund, I'll be a full time trader. I'll be traveling to the states to activate my green card in 2010 March, and probably will received my green card in two weeks but I'll only go activate the SSN in a year later because I need to stay with my current employer for one year due to the contract condition.

Do I have to pay the tax in 2010 before I activate my SSN (Social Security Number) in 2011?

2). I notice some states' resident doesn't have to pay for the state tax, I'm wondering, If I wish to stay in the Chicago, but what If my Identity Card stated WA, North Dakota etc (Non taxable states for state tax), do I still have to pay the state tax? I enjoy travel and I wish to travel to lot of places, and I was wondering If my Identity card stated for (non state tax's state like WA, or North Dakota etc) then I don't need to pay for the state tax for the state that I haven't travel to like Chicago. Is this correct? Because I might changed my mind someday and want to travel to other places.

3). I'm not trying to not pay tax, I know tax is essential, my parents will stay in my current country but they will be depend on me, I know I require to pay 30% tax from the profit I made, or 50% tax from the job. What I'm interested to know is, what to do to pay lesser tax? Like If I tell the tax officer that my parents currently depends on me, how much tax do I have to pay in that situation? I mean the % (estimated)

4). Before I activate my green card and SSN, what can I do to pay less tax? Such as tell them would like my Identity card stated WA, or North Dakota, and anything else I can do to avoid other unnecessary tax?

Please help and I'd really appreciated. Again, my main question is how to pay less tax but reasonable tax, I'd never try to avoid to pay the tax.

Thanks for your time guys.

TK

i know some friends who work in saudi arabia and united arab emirates who earn more than tax free 150 k /year plus accomodation, and free air tickets, free furniture, transportation...etc.... I mean it is not only beacause of money you go to us, there are much more considerations....

lol:d what kind of other consideration you talking about - this country works only for one thing - money - your are worth as much as you can earn-there is absolutely no other thing to consider here apart from money -thats the whole idea about this country - now there is no jobs so there is no money .....and system is going downhill falling apart -how long it could go like this - who knows ?? -maybe 5 maybe 10 years before breaks for good -jobs which are gone in the last year or two are not comming back any time soon no matter what politicians in this country are saying - only thing keeping this country afloat at the moment is massive debt -i.e. They print the money here like crazy ...trillions of dollars ...its just so massive nobody has any idea how it will end up .....its not gonna be good for shure but how bad it will be is educated guess- so anybody saying there is other things to consider before comming to the usa is an idiot-its only money and right now here there is no money so be serious

There are 3 different types of taxes that each state uses in different combination.

Income tax
Sales tax
Property tax

There are about 5 or 5 states that have no income tax. But they might have higher Property and Sales tax to cover it. There are other states that have no Sales tax.
But other than State tax, everyone has to pay fedral income tax. There is a minimum wage below which there is no income tax. But over that limit, everyone pays tax. A good source of information would be IRS site (Internal Revenue Service)

TAX IN THE US are much higher then everybody thinks -all in all I calculated that average UK tax payer pays actully about 5-7% LESS TAX THEN US RESIDENT WHO MAKES ABOUT THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY -SO THIS UK TAXES YOU ARE QUOTING WOULD BE JUST A DREAM IN THE USA-YOU WILL PAY MORE SINCE A LOT OF THINGS YOU ''FINANCE'' INDIRECTLY THROUGH YOUR UK TAXES -MEDICAL ,UNEMPLOYMENT ,EDUCATION ,PROPERTY TAX ETC. WILL COST YOU HUGE IN THE USA -ITS LIKE IF YOU PAY 80% IN TAXES ON 35 000 POUNDS -THAT IS THE DIFFERENCE -THIS COUNTRY AFTER ALL NEED A LOT OF MONEY FOR THE MILITARY -THAT ALONE COST THIS COUNTRY ABOUT 2 TRILLION DOLLARS SO TAXES ARE EVERYWHERE- USUALY SOME PEOPLE WITHOUT BRAIN ARE SAYING THAT THE ADVANTAGE OF THE LIFE IN THE USA IS THAT YOU PAY GALLON OF GAS 3 DOLLARS-NOW TRY TO FEED YOUR FAMILY ON GAS .

I don't know about tax laws that much and each state will be different. Federal tax might be mandatory in your case though. You pay taxes for the state you live in or work in. It doesn't matter if you have an ID that says whatever other state. You also don't get credit for taking care of your parents who are out of the country as far as I know. Your questions might be better answered by either a tax attorney or accountant. As far as activating your social security card, in order to earn any income you need to have it and as long as you get an income you pay taxes.
Hi guys,

Would like to ask some questions. Please bear in mind I'm not very good with the tax system in the United States and therefore I would like to know:

1). I'm currently a currency trader, and I have a full time job, but by the time I have enough fund, I'll be a full time trader. I'll be traveling to the states to activate my green card in 2010 March, and probably will received my green card in two weeks but I'll only go activate the SSN in a year later because I need to stay with my current employer for one year due to the contract condition.

Do I have to pay the tax in 2010 before I activate my SSN (Social Security Number) in 2011?

2). I notice some states' resident doesn't have to pay for the state tax, I'm wondering, If I wish to stay in the Chicago, but what If my Identity Card stated WA, North Dakota etc (Non taxable states for state tax), do I still have to pay the state tax? I enjoy travel and I wish to travel to lot of places, and I was wondering If my Identity card stated for (non state tax's state like WA, or North Dakota etc) then I don't need to pay for the state tax for the state that I haven't travel to like Chicago. Is this correct? Because I might changed my mind someday and want to travel to other places.

3). I'm not trying to not pay tax, I know tax is essential, my parents will stay in my current country but they will be depend on me, I know I require to pay 30% tax from the profit I made, or 50% tax from the job. What I'm interested to know is, what to do to pay lesser tax? Like If I tell the tax officer that my parents currently depends on me, how much tax do I have to pay in that situation? I mean the % (estimated)

4). Before I activate my green card and SSN, what can I do to pay less tax? Such as tell them would like my Identity card stated WA, or North Dakota, and anything else I can do to avoid other unnecessary tax?

Please help and I'd really appreciated. Again, my main question is how to pay less tax but reasonable tax, I'd never try to avoid to pay the tax.

Thanks for your time guys.

TK

In the US you have opportunity to become whoever you want! However, if you stay in European Union, I would not go to the U.S. Falling dollar here, high unemployment, no loans, big banks are no longer financing good schools for students.
But if you are from different part of world, it's still worth a try!Green card/Citizenship would give you ability to travel and work in the U.S.

I am a Nigerian, but i need to move to my cannanland.you know US is a cannanland to some of us. It a dream land. Even if I am a milloinaire in Nigeria, i will still go to my cannanland