what happens with the Finger Prints after FBI sends them to INS?

Ravi2000

Registered Users (C)
ciba,

As promised, here is the message.

Once you receive your FP notice and you submit them to FBI thru your local INS office, FBI verifies them and sends them over to INS within 2-4 days at the most. You call up FBI and they tell you that your FPs have been sent to INS. Call up INS and they ask you for your A# or Last name and they tell you that they have your Finger Prints in their system. Now you just wait hoping that you\'ll receive your approval soon since INS has your finger prints in their system.

Now here is the tricky part.

INS maintains two different computer systems, letz call them computer #1 and #2. INS stores your 485 information in system #1. Now when FBI verifies your finger prints and sends them to INS they go into system #2. Yes, thats right, not into system #1. INS can retrieve the information about your 485 given your last name or WAC#. But to retrive the information about your finger prints from system #2 INS needs your A# (Not, WAC#) or your last name.

So when you call up INS to check the status of your Finger Prints if INS asks you for A# it means your FPs are still in system #2. Here are the general responses from IIOs when you ask for your FP status "Can I have your A#?" or "Let me look into the other system".

After a while your finger prints somehow magically move into system #1. Dont\' ask me how. But when this happens your case will be ready to be adjurned. Meaning, your case will be ready to be assigned to an IIO. Usually, it may take anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months (But, no guarantee). Of course, there are always exceptions.

Now, if your FPs are moved into system #1 and you call up for the FP status the response from IIOs changes to "we have just received your FPs on so and so date" although they had you FPs for quite some time or "we have received your FPs and your case is ready to be adjurned" without looking into the other system (system #2) then you can be sure that your FPs are moved into system #1 and you can expect your approval soon.

Remember, the key is that the IIO shouldn\'t ask for your A# or shouldn\'t say "lemme look into the other system". If he/she says that then you will have to wait for FPs to move into system #1.

In my case, I waited for 3 months before my FPs moved into system #1. Until this time every time I called up I had to provide my A#. Three weeks ago (01/10/2001) when I called IIO said "We received your FPs yesterday" although INS had received them from FBI on 10/21/2000.

I got my 485 approval within 2 weeks of my FPs moving from system #2 to system #1 where my 485 application is.

Now, i have to warn you, In case you call up INS and give your WAC# for 485 status verification first and then ask for FP status they may not ask you for your A# always, but, instead they can pull up your A# based your WAC# or Last Name. So, please don\'t think that if the IIO didn\'t ask for your A#, your FPs are in system #1.

So if you want to eliminate this chance to some extent ask them first for your FP status.

After all this, I have to add a disclaimer.

Please don\'t hold me responsible if your experience is different as this is all speculation based on my own and others experiences posted on this board. For all you know, this process might be entirely different in INS.

Trying to unveil the mysteries of INS...

-Ravi2000.

No Title

Thanks for rewriting this message, Ravi! I am posting it to the
website right now.

ciba

No Title

Does Automated Voice Message changes once FP is received by INS?? Anyone please??

No Title

I remember someone saying that if you could not give correct or legible finger prints FBI will let you know if you call them within 2 or 3 days. It takes longer if the message has to come through INS from FBI. I mean FBI tells INS that the finger prints are not clear and then INS turns around and tells you that you have to take finger prints again. Well you know how long INS takes to turn around. Please post the procedure and telephone to contact FBS about validation of Finger prints. Socondly I had one fingerprint done before from FBI, will that help in anyway, i guess it would not but if someone of you know it can please share.
Good luck

No Title

Ravi2000, from your observation, is there something that we can do to expedite the transfer from system#2 to system#1. Would calling them up actually helps in any way or not. Any ideas guys?

No Title

Here is my input:
my FP was done on 2/9/01 in San Diego. I was a little worried because of a recent slight burn on one of my index fingers which was clearly visable in the prints.
On 2/14 I called FBI and they told me my FP s were fine. So I started calling CSC and after 2 days I could reach an IIO. He was very helpful, told me that they got my FP s on 2/9 from FBI (same date as they were taken to my surprise!) and my case is assigned to an officer. I also updated my address since they never received (or lost) my change of address form,
Good Luck Everybody