What happens to SSN after GC approval?

good_desi

I'm sure that you retain the same number. But, do we have to get anything changed at all - like status or anything? In other words, do we have to visit the SSN office after GC approval ?

Thanks!

Yes, advised. SS office will issue a new SS card with same number with a different status. It will come in the mail.

I did that last week when I got my PP stamped. They look at the stamp, shred the old card, issue a receipt and based on that will issue new card.

Desi Babu,

Congragulations !!! Nice to know you got Approved. Can you tell when did you finish your FP. I am also from Columbus and had a late FP - Aug 6. Please let me know.

Question

1. If I need to use my EAD for work, what is the procedure and which things gets changed/affect ?
Do I need to inform SSN office/INS/IRS ?

2. If dependent applicant want to use EAD, he/she need to apply for SSN. What is the status of
dependent SSN ? is it same is H1 people or something different ?

3. After approval of GC, dependent applicant should update his/her SSN to change the status ?

Thanks

Answers...

1. If you want to use your EAD, you should fill out an I-9 form and submit it to your employer, thus making the change take effect.
2. It is not the same as H1, I would say it is the similar to GC ie. the dependant can work for anybody in any capacity.
3.I'm not very sure - but going by the replies I got, I think so...

Yes,

Dependents must update/change/get the SSN.

My wife and child r going to do that once they r back coz they don't even have any SSN yet (only ITIN).

Thanks dma_va,

my question is if dependent have SSN, then what's the status of their SSN before approving and after approving the GC ?

Is there any status difference between SSN after EAD and SSN after GC ?
I personally don't think there shuold be any status change for dependent applicant SSN.

va412,

Unlike before GC, after GC approval, dependent will be a "permanent resident" just like the primary applicant. There will be no difference b/w the two then from a legal status standpoint.

I think, both ought to get their SSN updated to reflect correct status.