What happens to OCI Stamp when the US Passport expires?

SFofficer

Registered Users (C)
I just got my OCI booklet and Visa stamp in my US PP. My US PP will expire in 10 years. Then should I get a new Visa stamp in the new US PP? Or just the OCI booklet would be enough?

RTFM!

http://www.cgihouston.org/OverseasCitizenship.html

http://www.cgihouston.org/OCIMisc.html

I. In case of issuance of new passport

OCI registration certificate and visa carries the passport number of the registered OCI. Accordingly, each time a new passport is issued to an OCI holder, it has to be captured on the registration certificate and visa. This would require re-issuance of OCI registration certificate and visa each time a new passport is issued. However, as the major benefit of OCI Scheme is life long visa to visit India, problems arise each time a new passport is issued. In some countries old passports are not returned. Further, in many countries, the validity of passport is for 5 years. To obviate these difficulties, the following scheme has been incorporated:

(i) Up to the completion of 20 years of age, OCI documents have to be re-issued each time a new passport is issued.

(ii) After the completion of 50 years of age, OCI documents have to be re-issued once after issuance of a new passport.

(iii) Between 21-50 years of age, there is no need to seek re-issuance of OCI documents each time a new passport is issued. However, if the applicant desires, he may avail the service for re-issuance of OCI documents.

In some countries old passports are not returned. To obviate these difficulties, the following scheme has been incorporated:

(iii) Between 21-50 years of age, there is no need to seek re-issuance of OCI documents each time a new passport is issued.

How would you reconcile between the item in Red and Green above? If passport with old OCI stamp is not returned, then you would have to get OCI restamped in new passport, right? How will they validate if old passport is not returned?

SF Officer - If you decide to get a new stamp on your new passport, please post your experience - with the timeline etc.

When the old passport is returned.

One more clarification:

When the old passport is returned (As in the case of the U.S. Passport), is a reissuance of a new OCI U-Visa (on the new passport) mandatory?

I read this on the CGI Houston website just today:
25. Will a new OCI visa sticker be issued on the new foreign passport after the expiry of the old passport?
Yes. On payment of requisite fee, a new OCI 'U' visa sticker will be issued. However, the applicant can continue to carry the old passport wherein OCI 'U' visa sticker was pasted along with new passport for visiting India without seeking a new visa, as the visa is for lifelong.

Here is where I read it:
http://www.cgihouston.org/FAQOCI.html
(I have also attached a PDF snapshot showing the same)

This seems to imply that a new visa stamp is not needed if you still posses the old visa stamp (albeit on an expired passport). Is that correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
One more clarification:

When the old passport is returned (As in the case of the U.S. Passport), is a reissuance of a new OCI U-Visa (on the new passport) mandatory?

I read this on the CGI Houston website just today:

Here is where I read it:
http://www.cgihouston.org/FAQOCI.html
(I have also attached a PDF snapshot showing the same)

This seems to imply that a new visa stamp is not needed if you still posses the old visa stamp (albeit on an expired passport). Is that correct?

But if you look at http://www.cgihouston.org/OCIMisc.html, in I. under 'Salient Features', it says that depending on your age when you get a new passport, you may have to get a new visa sticker. Go figure! :-(

Last edited by a moderator:
The consl website is clear -- the oci in the expired passport can be used as long as the expired and a valid passport are together. I fail to see why that part is confusing. People do use valid visas in expired passports all over the world.

As for the salient features, the next paragraph in that link clearly states 21-50 yrs no need for OCI renewal and also states rules about re-issuance for those under 20/over 50 group .

Currently if you have a long term visa to India and a 5 yr validity passport, you have to carry both passports when you visit India if you do not intend to move your old visa to the new passport.

I am sure similar rules apply. One of my friends asked the immigration authorities in Hydbad, India and the guy confirmed it. However each embassy is posting their own rules which is ridiculous.

Currently if you have a long term visa to India and a 5 yr validity passport, you have to carry both passports when you visit India if you do not intend to move your old visa to the new passport.

I am sure similar rules apply. One of my friends asked the immigration authorities in Hydbad, India and the guy confirmed it. However each embassy is posting their own rules which is ridiculous.

Exactly. Why is each embassy posting their own rules, instead of one rule for the country (India)!?