What happens to approved I-130 petition once a spouse gets naturalized

Rajiv S. Khanna

HOST, Immigration.Com
Staff member
Does a PR who has filed and received approval on I-130 for his/her spouse need to file a separate I-130/485 again once he/she gets naturalized, or can the approved I-130 (based on LPR) be used to file the I-485?

Would appreciate any thoughts.

visa petitions may be upgraded when petitioner becomes US citizen

the procedure for upgrading the visa petition is simple.
take a copy the approval notice (or the receipt notice, if not yet approved). include a copy of the petitioner\'s naturalization certificate, send copies with a cover letter to the service center who sent the INS notice.

cover letter should restate the basic information of the visa petition (i.e.: petitioner\'s information, beneficiary\'s information, Receipt number [LINxxx, WACxxx, EACxxx, etc], then state that the petitioner was naturalized in {location} on {date}. Request the visa petition be processed for a visa based upon a family relationship with a United States citizen.

It should take the Service Center a couple of weeks to find the visa petition remove it from the group filed by permanent resident petitioners and place it in the group (by priority date!) filed by US citizens.