• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

What happens if I've won the DS lottery but don't feel I'll be ready to move to the US next year?

hgavin

So I won the green card lottery, I'm Oceania with a number of 18XX so I'll likely be called up late next year, what happens If I feel I won't be ready for a Green Card end of next year/start of 2015 and feel that I'd be better to try again in the lottery in the following years?

Is this possible, or will it be rejected as I've already sent documents off to KCC for this year. I actually signed up with USAFIS so they're automatically putting my application into the DS lottery the next four years. Will I be entered into the lottery next year even with this application in process?

Thanks all!

So I won the green card lottery, I'm Oceania with a number of 18XX so I'll likely be called up late next year, what happens If I feel I won't be ready for a Green Card end of next year/start of 2015 and feel that I'd be better to try again in the lottery in the following years?

Is this possible, or will it be rejected as I've already sent documents off to KCC for this year. I actually signed up with USAFIS so they're automatically putting my application into the DS lottery the next four years. Will I be entered into the lottery next year even with this application in process?

Thanks all!

You are not prohibited from trying again. If you've already sent your documents to the KCC, you probably know this means you will be called up for an interview, but it's not an obligation to go. You could always go to the United States (assuming you are successful and fulfill the criteria etc), and acquire a re-entry permit once you arrive, which will allow you stay outside the U.S. for (normally speaking) up to a maximum of 2 years from the date of issuance without losing your permanent residency visa.

Congratulations.

Wow, what a gamble! Some people have entered the DV for a dozen or more years and never won. For me, it took 9 tries! Yeah, sure, you can try again but I'd put my money on you not getting selected again, if they even have another DV. Not being mean or anything, just realistic. Like slash_dot says, you can get a re-entry permit to give yourself a bit of time. All the best!

True thanks for the help. The indecision stems from the fact that I had made up my mind to get the 2 year working holiday visa I can get to the UK (I'm from New Zealand), yet previous to this it was my dream to work in New York. So now I'm at a cross roads where I don't know whether to abandon the US visa and just go to the UK now, or sooner at least, or wait it out and possibly not work in the UK.

I've never been to either New York or London, which are both the dream cities, so perhaps I should visit both before making my mind up. And then there's the money factor... sigh.. #firstworldproblems

After the green card

Thanks all!

Hi Gavin,
I am in almost the same case ( also OC ) You know you can wait 6 months after having your visa in the passport ( but you have to validate it in an US port of entry ( Hawaii e.g. ) and after you've the choice of coming in the US before 1 y or asking for a reentry permit while you are un the US, then you can stay legally two more years outside the US without the risk of having your resident status lost.
Just one personal question : where are you from in NZ ?

Hi Gavin,
I am in almost the same case ( also OC ) You know you can wait 6 months after having your visa in the passport ( but you have to validate it in an US port of entry ( Hawaii e.g. ) and after you've the choice of coming in the US before 1 y or asking for a reentry permit while you are un the US, then you can stay legally two more years outside the US without the risk of having your resident status lost.
Just one personal question : where are you from in NZ ?

Sorry, belated response, I'm from Dunedin, NZ originally, now living in Auckland. Are you from NZ?

You'd be a one in a billion if you win the lottery twice. I bet my money on this not going to happen for you.
NZ is a well-developed country from what I know. UK as well. Most people on this forum dream of living in the US, no doubt about it.

You'd be a one in a billion if you win the lottery twice. I bet my money on this not going to happen for you.
NZ is a well-developed country from what I know. UK as well. Most people on this forum dream of living in the US, no doubt about it.

Actually OC region entrants have a relatively high chance of being selected twice. There Are Several Forum Members who won in 2015 and 2014.

Having said that the post is a year old, so I'm not sure he is still thinking heither has a decision to make...