what happens if I send only 1 pay stub ...

mango_pickle

Registered Users (C)
what happens if I send only 1 pay stub instead of 3, incase I get an RFE.

I may lose my job anytime now. Incase of an RFE, since I have about 90 days to respond to it. Say if I get a new job on the 60th day of the RFE, can I just give 1 pay stub instead of 3.
Did anyone had such an experience ?

I just want to calculate the time I have to look for a job. Thanks.

extension

Sorry that you may loose ur job, but in case if you get an RFE, you can file for extension. Dont know how many days you can get extension though.

good luck

tk
wac-02-133-$$$$$

I think you need send three pay stubs. If you send one,
INS may ask you send two more if you are lucky but
worse result may come. Anyway, If you don't send
"enough money" , how can you expect the expected ?

If you can send one , why not send two more even if
they are kind of "old", so INS may ask send three
latest stubs again. You got another a couple of months
to respond.

best wishes.

Im sorry randydu, didn't quite understand what you meant

Are you telling me, I can check send 2 older paystubs of my previous company and 1 from the new ones ?

Originally posted by mango_pickle
I can check send 2 older paystubs of my previous company and 1 from the new ones ?

Sorry to hear about the job uncertainty, I know it bites. But in case the worst happens, you are okay sending 2 pay stubs from the older company and one from the new one, with AC21 and an EVL from your newest employer, which clearly states that they are capable of paying your salary.

The problem is the gap between the old and new company paystubs.Is that ok too ?

If I were to get a job immly after layoff, I have no concern.
My concern is if I have about 2 months of gap between my first job & second, can I still send 1 paystub from the second one and the remaining 2 from my first job ?

mango,
this is ok. Most important rules are (1) do not volunteer any info to INS, and (2) send in response exactly what they ask for, even if it is against the common sense, or otherwise you (your lawyer) have to explain, why you are sending smth different and this is not good.

Originally posted by ND022202
mango, this is ok. Most important rules are (1) do not volunteer any info to INS

Perfect! Exactly what I would advice you to do!

Don't worry about gap in pay stubs. You have been waiting over 180 days, and as an adjustee are not required to maintain a job for status. Your green card is for future employment, as long as you have pay stubs in hand and an EVL there is nothing to worry. Don't forget to send in AC21 along with RFE if any.

Here is the text:

October 7, 2003
'Zero Tolerance' Policy Withdrawn

In a piece of good news that we hope will benefit many, we have learned that a policy, referred to as "zero tolerance" by the Immigration Service, apparently has been withdrawn. The change was reportedly made via an eMail directive to appropriate employees of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (CIS). This should make life a bit easier for many individuals seeking to change or extend their nonimmigrant statuses.

Many of our MurthyBulletin and MurthyDotCom readers know, through personal experience, that, in order to extend or change nonimmigrant status in the U.S., it is necessary to be in status when the request to extend or change status is filed. What this means for employment-based immigration statuses, such as the H1B or L-1, is that it is necessary to have pay stubs from the current employer covering the time immediately preceding the new case filing. For many years there had been a bit of flexibility in this matter, so that brief gaps between the last pay stub and the filing would not automatically result in the denial of the change or extension of status request. However, that all changed in 2002, when a "zero tolerance" policy Memo was issued, essentially eliminating the examiners' discretion in this area. See, our May 10, 2002 MurthyBulletin article, 'Zero Tolerance' Policy for Those out of Status, available on MurthyDotCom. This "zero tolerance" was quite harsh for many nonimmigrants, and apparently did not work well for the government, either.

The eMail withdrawing the policy has not been made public as of this writing. In a September 24, 2003, AILA meeting attended by all of the attorneys from The Law Office of Sheela Murthy, P.C., we learned that the eMail was intended to demonstrate to the examiners that they have discretion. One of the reasons for the withdrawal of the policy is that, in the past few months, the rate of Requests for Evidence (RFEs) has skyrocketed with no apparent explanation. The belief is that the examiners have not felt they could overlook even the most minor technical violation. The result is that they are frequently asking for additional evidence, such as pay stubs through the time of the case filing, as well as other proof of employment.

The results of this change in policy are yet to be seen. For our readers, we would continue to emphasize the importance of maintaining status and filing for changes or extensions of status in a timely fashion. The regulation on this issue is actually quite restrictive, allowing violation to be overlooked only when there are "extraordinary circumstances beyond the control of the applicant or petitioner" and the delay is commensurate with the circumstances. However, even without circumstances that would meet the "extraordinary" standard, we believe there is a legally permissible basis for taking a more practical approach to the matter. There is a long-standing concept in the law of the de minimis exception. This comes from the Latin phrase De minimis non curat lex, meaning "the law does not care for, or take notice of, very small or trifling matters." This concept permits some inherent level of discretion, even if it is not explicitly provided within the wording of the law.

We are pleased that there is a movement in the positive direction with the purported withdrawal of the zero tolerance Memo. In the real world, paperwork takes time, employers have to follow established office procedures before signing documents or releasing information, and nonimmigrants trying to understand a complex system of laws do not always know that the derivative spouses and children must have their statuses extended separately. We hope that this is the beginning of a more humane policy and that there is less disruption to the lives of foreign nationals and the ability of the foreign national workforce to provide needed services to U.S. employers, helping the economy.

question

In my case, my employing co. has been delaying payments(salaries etc) by about 5 months. (I last got paid for April ;-( )

What happens if I get an RFE (which seems to be the norm) and I've to show the last 2/3 paystubs? Will not having paystubs from july-aug-sept cause any hiccups? Or worse?

I can definitely get a letter (EVL I guess) to prove that the current job (& the future offer) is still valid.

Also, while adjudicating the 485 case, does INS require a "proof" of financial stability of the company?

TIA.

- nik.

Originally posted by mango_pickle
Can you please tell me which part of the text, you want me to make note of?

Well, the posting suggests that in recent days USCIS has been very strict about everything including regualrity of paystubs due to this "Zero tolerance" policy. But, since the policy has been withdrawn (although not made public), it seems that the officers can be little bit flexible while making their decisions. So, there is a fair chance that you might get away with the discontinuation of paystubs. I guess, I like to be optimistic. ;)

Re: question

Originally posted by nikbert
In my case, my employing co. has been delaying payments(salaries etc) by about 5 months. (I last got paid for April ;-( )

What happens if I get an RFE (which seems to be the norm) and I've to show the last 2/3 paystubs? Will not having paystubs from july-aug-sept cause any hiccups? Or worse?

I can definitely get a letter (EVL I guess) to prove that the current job (& the future offer) is still valid.

Also, while adjudicating the 485 case, does INS require a "proof" of financial stability of the company?

TIA.

- nik.

Garun, Thanks for your reply.
Nik , I think you should post your question as another thread in the forum.