What exactly is the visa number?

fatpig

Registered Users (C)
I've heard the A# will be printed on the green card and used to track the status of a LPR.
A# is assigned when the I485 is filed, that means that number is available when a I485 is filed but the visa number is assigned when a I485 is approved.
So what exactly is the visa number? How do we know our visa number?
Any thoughts?

Do all of the I485 have to go through National Visa Center?
You could find the information on the following page:
http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1309.html
And check the information related to your case by calling 603 334-0700.
But it says it couldn't find my case number when I called this number though my I485 was approved. Could someone with approved I485 try this system to see what you get?

fatpig said:
I've heard the A# will be printed on the green card and used to track the status of a LPR.
A# is assigned when the I485 is filed, that means that number is available when a I485 is filed but the visa number is assigned when a I485 is approved.
So what exactly is the visa number? How do we know our visa number?
Any thoughts?
Its basically a quota system implemented by the Dept Of state.

Each year only a fixed number of people from any one country can get US LPR status. The visa "number" tracks it against this quota. Per country limit is, I think, 7% of the maximum (it comes to approximately 25000+ per year - for EB. Family based gets another 25K/yr)

Its not a number that you get like your A#. (or even if you get it, it won't have any further meaning).

max2k1 said:
Its basically a quota system implemented by the Dept Of state.

Each year only a fixed number of people from any one country can get US LPR status. The visa "number" tracks it against this quota. Per country limit is, I think, 7% of the maximum (it comes to approximately 25000+ per year - for EB. Family based gets another 25K/yr)

Its not a number that you get like your A#. (or even if you get it, it won't have any further meaning).
That means the A# is tied to a PR permanently, right? Do you know who keeps your information related to the A#? For example, when you leave the US and when you come back. Is it DOS or USCIS?
Thanks.