What Exactly Is The Priority Date

ordinaria

Registered Users (C)
I am very confused, and it's ridiculous (i.e. embarrassing) since I have been looking at this forum for a while.

My question is:

I have my EB3 ROW (PERM) and I-140 approved - what exactly is my priority date? The date that PERM was submitted, the date that PERM was approved/certified or the date that my I-140 was submitted?

I was under the impression that my priority date was the day that my PERM was submitted (March 05 - current) BUT I called my lawyer and she said that my priority date is July 25 (not current) - and I don't know where that date comes from. I will ask her, but I also wanted to know your opinions.

THANKS!

Priority Date is the cutoff date established by USCIS to control the visa number allocation. For individuals filing Employment Based (EB) petitions, priority date is determined by the date when the Labor Certification application was submitted. For more information about the current cutoff dates go to http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi_bulletin.html

It is normally the date the Labor cert was received and acknowledged by the DOL, or when the I-140 was received if you didn't have to do a Labor cert.

The priority date should be explicitly listed at the top of your I-140... ask for a copy of it if you don't have it.

Last edited by a moderator:
THANKS - Very helpful.
I did find the PD on my I-140 notification.
July 25, 2005 (I think lawyer submitted application late.)

Maybe next month?