What does this response mean?

EB2Waiter

Registered Users (C)
I was affected by retrogression and my PD became current last month. But so far there has not been any update.

I called 1-800-375-5283 this morning. After my long wait, a nice lady answered the phone with very good attitude. She told me that she could not get detailed information for me other than that my 485 case is being actively processed. I asked further on whether my name check has been cleared etc. She said she could not get such info. But she made a request and gave me a confirmation number. If after 30 days, I have not received anything by mail, I can call back. But don't call again in 30 days.

I don't know why she has no detailed info. I read a lot of posts on this forum saying they know whether Name Check is cleared or not. Since she doesn't know the detailed information, how could she know it's been actively processed?

Thanks for your reply.

letter content from NSC USICS Office

I did the same , and got a confirmation number. Yesterday I got a letter from USCIS

The Content Of the Letter

The Status of this service request is:

Our records indicate the I-485 applications for you and your wife were received Oct 25,2004 and are pending deceisions in this office.

Currently, your applications are undergoing the security checks now required on all applications prior to final review. You will be notified by mail as soon as a decision is made on your applications. Day appoximations on receipt notices are only an estimate and your applications may require more time. Furthermore, if all initial evidence is not included with your applications, or a question arises during adjudication that requires a Request for Evidence, additional time will be needed. We are sorry for any inconvience this may cause.

I don't know whether I need to file AC21(I joined a new company, I already got letter from my new employer saying same and similar job) or wait for I-485 approval.

Please suggest , what should I do ? Wait for my I-485 to approve or file AC21.

Thanks
samalboss

I think you just wait for 485

Thanks for your reply. I thought the detailed info is just like that.

I think you just wait for 485. Filing AC21 is not required. If they do an RFE, you can then respond.

At the same time, I think you'd better contact with your congressman office to let them send a request to FBI to speed up your background check.

That's something in my mind and it's something we can do. It never hurts.
Good luck!

EB2Waiter said:
Thanks for your reply. I thought the detailed info is just like that.

I think you just wait for 485. Filing AC21 is not required. If they do an RFE, you can then respond.

At the same time, I think you'd better contact with your congressman office to let them send a request to FBI to speed up your background check.

That's something in my mind and it's something we can do. It never hurts.
Good luck!

Question:

1. Just curious to know if engaging a congressman (to initiate a request to FBI) to speed up FBI name check really works?
2. If so, how soon pending I485 for FBI name check gets cleared? Any idea..???
3. Do FBI actually entertain or give credit to Congressman's request for FBI name check clearance? Any information...??

SORRY... but I am also awaiting decision on my I485 and recently came to know from Congressman that my 485 petition is pending for FBI name check...

Last edited by a moderator:
1. congressional intervene doesn't help MUCH, this is national security matter, but you can keep on asking them once every 2 months;
2. Name check lasts from about couple of days to several years;
3.FBI takes congressional inquiry seriously, but information provided only limited to pending/cleared.

Good Luck!

I got two kinds of response :(

My/My wife's I-485 cases were filed on May 2005 and the I-485 notificaiton date was May 24/2005 (EB2 with my employment, priority date of my labor was July 2002). The last update to both cases were July 2005 after fingerprint.
Both cases have been outside of the processing date. I called the service phone number on Tuesday/Wednesday and two inqueris have been put on the cases. Now I got the following responses in email:

My case:
The status of this service request is:
Based on your request we researched the status of this case. You case remains
pending until a visa is available for you and your security checks are
completed. For further visa issuance info, please refer to www.travel.state.gov.

My wife's case:
Your I-485 application is awaiting assignment to an officer. You will be
notified when a decision is made on your case, or if additional information
should become necessary.

What does these mean?
For me, I think I am still in security check (name check?). For my wife, is it even worse by "awaiting assignment"?

Your help/suggestion would be highly appreciated.

ffish said:

My/My wife's I-485 cases were filed on May 2005 and the I-485 notificaiton date was May 24/2005 (EB2 with my employment, priority date of my labor was July 2002). The last update to both cases were July 2005 after fingerprint.
Both cases have been outside of the processing date. I called the service phone number on Tuesday/Wednesday and two inqueris have been put on the cases. Now I got the following responses in email:

My case:
completed. For further visa issuance info, please refer to www.travel.state.gov.

My wife's case:
Your I-485 application is awaiting assignment to an officer. You will be
notified when a decision is made on your case, or if additional information
should become necessary.

What does these mean?
For me, I think I am still in security check (name check?). For my wife, is it even worse by "awaiting assignment"?

Looks like your PD (priority date is not current) so you need to wait till it becomes current. Lucky you that your security checks are completed (the worst phase). For your spouse... Assignment to the officer will not take that long.. may be couple weeks to few months... GOOD LUCK!!

Thanks for the encouraging words from abansal0211. However I would like to be conservative as the responses were actually vague. I consulted my lawyer regarding the above responses and my lawyer did not confirm to me anything.

** My question on my case:
1. The response could be interpreted in two ways below. Which one does it mean?
1.1. You case remains pending, until a visa is available for you AND your security checks are
Completed; >> this does NOT indicate my security check status.
1.2. You case remains pending until a visa is available for you. And your security checks are completed. >> this says that my security check has completed and cleared.

** My question on my wife’s case:
2. Is the progress even worse than my case by "awaiting assignment"? Or better in that “assignment” should be the last step in I-485 processing in which a USCIS officer reviews the case with security check result and makes decision.

Well, I will make an appointment at Infopass for an interview in USCIS local office, hopefully to get some clarification regarding the response/status.

ffish said:

My case:

Thats BS. Your PD is current since May 1st. Call them again & tell them my PD is current

EB2Waiter said:
I was affected by retrogression and my PD became current last month. But so far there has not been any update.

I called 1-800-375-5283 this morning. After my long wait, a nice lady answered the phone with very good attitude. She told me that she could not get detailed information for me other than that my 485 case is being actively processed. I asked further on whether my name check has been cleared etc. She said she could not get such info. But she made a request and gave me a confirmation number. If after 30 days, I have not received anything by mail, I can call back. But don't call again in 30 days.

I don't know why she has no detailed info. I read a lot of posts on this forum saying they know whether Name Check is cleared or not. Since she doesn't know the detailed information, how could she know it's been actively processed?

Thanks for your reply.
Because your case is in another separeted dpto for Extended/Additional Review. My case is there also. They will send u a letter in 30/45 days saying to wait 6 mo b4 call again. We are in a "Dead Zone" and adjudication takes forever. I`ve been reviewed in the last 13 mo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because your case is in another separeted dpto for Extended/Additional Review. My case is there also. They will send u a letter in 30/45 days saying to wait 6 mo b4 call again. We are in a "Dead Zone" and adjudication takes forever. I`ve been reviewed in the last 13 mo.

What do you mean by Extended/Additional Review? If so, I think they will send your application to local office. I think FBI check is the bottleneck. You mean your case has been current for a long time? Hang in there. If you still want to work, I don't think green card is a problem since you can change jobs at will now. If you want to do some business, that's the problem.

abansal0211 said:

Looks like your PD (priority date is not current) so you need to wait till it becomes current. Lucky you that your security checks are completed (the worst phase). For your spouse... Assignment to the officer will not take that long.. may be couple weeks to few months... GOOD LUCK!!

I had an interview with some local immigration officer. Got three points:
1. My case is still pending on name check. Bad news -- my name check has started for about a year.
2. My wife's case is cleard on name check. Good news.
3. My wife's I-485 won't be approved unless my case is approved as I am the main applicant.

USCIS response

MrGC2004 said:
I did enquiry on may 10
got response on may 11
please my signature

Mr. MrGC2004,

Did you get response from USCIS in one day? Is it by postal mail?
I made an enquiry two months back. Never heard from them. Thanks in advance for your response.

140/485: April 2005
140 AD: May 2005
NSC, EB-1OR