What documents do I need when I renew at the border?

sheri100

Registered Users (C)
What documentation do I need when I renew at the border? Can I use a copy of my diploma instead of the original (I have the original transcripts)? Do I need my resume? I don't remember having that with me the first time I got a TN.

Since I have a mail in renewal pending, what do I tell them at the border when I leave the US, I will take along my notice of receipt?

What happens if my mail in renewal is approved while I am out of the country? Especially if there is not enough time to courier the new documents before I return to the US?

Thanks

When you apply for a new TN, make sure you also bring your letter from your employer stating that they are requesting to keep you on for another year (I think it has to say the job is temp and will end at that date). Bring your resume, old expired (expiring) TN, I-94 etc.

Best is just to have more then you need rather then less. I think I had that issue where I applied for a new TN by mail and it was taking so long, so I just took the copy of the mail in forms I had sent (and docs the INS sent back of them recieving the application etc) and showed them to the officer at the airport when I applied for a new TN.

He just looked at it, marked some stuff down and gave me a new TN. I'm sure it eventually got filed and they cancelled the application I had sent in for the mail-in new TN.

So I'd bring for sure:
- Passport
- Old expiring (expired TN)
- Any docs/letters you got from the INS with your mail-in (if any)
- I-129 if you have one
- Letter from employer stating your job is temp and won't last more then a year
- Resume (might be good)
- anything else?

Just remember you will need what you had the last time you got a TN. This is the exact same as you are now getting another new TN...

Thanks!

I also plan to bring my original transcripts...I'm hoping copies of my diplomas will be enough.

I'm still wondering what happens if my mail in renwal is approved before I return to the US?

Probably nothing since they are both brand new TN status for a job. You can have multiple TN's. So when you applied for a new TN by mail they process it, and even if you get it accepted, you can still go to the border and get another new TN for the same job without conflict. It's just like getting another TN for another job. So you would then just use the one that has the latest date to officially use and get your HR to use for the I-9...