What Do Think

GERALD

Registered Users (C)
my friend is a canadian landed immig. He has been in usa for over a year. he wants to go back to canada, but because he has been out of canada for so long he is concern about border crossing by air/road. WHAT IS YOUR TAKE ON THIS MATTER. WILL CANADA IMMIGRATION GIVE HIM A HARD TIME? HE WILL BE ELIGIBLE FOR CA CITIZENSHIP IN 2002.

No Title

ok, here is the scoop, whenever your friend crosses to Canada, they will ask him how long has he been out of Canada, he always has the choice to tell them he was out for a month or whatever, but, he should be carefull not to give them a reason to suspect, for example don\'t let him drive his US registered car to Canada, also flying to Canada will be a bit risky, since they may ask to see the ticket, in my opinion, he should enter Canada by train, Amtrak goes to Canada

No Title

Canadian...
How does the immigration formalities work out if u travel by amtrak...I have applied for USA green card...But it is struck and I have decided to forgo it...I will be getting my canadian PR very soon...Probably next month. And my medicals will be valid till March 2002. But I want to land in canada, then return back to USA and work on my already existing H1 till August 2002 and then permanantly move to canada before 183 days expire. I was worried that on the way back into USA from canada in March 2002, I will be questioned by US immigration as to why I have taken canadian PR when my US green card is in progress.? Can they stop me or inform the canadian authorities that I also have a US green card under processing? Left to me , I am decided to forgo the US green card...
In this circumstance, Do u suggest Amtrak as the best way to come back to USA? How are the immigration formalities handled with Amtrak? PLZ ADVICE.
Thanks
RengaRajesh

No Title

Message for Rajeshpri,
Let me tell you the basic facts for border crossingss to Canada.
Any time you try to cross the border to Canada from US, there are certain basic questions they have to ask by law.Depending on what you answer, they might want to elaborate your answer or let you go by answering those basic questions.
1 What is your citizenship?
2 if the answer is canadian or have landing status, Where did you went to USA and how long? Where do you stay?
3 if the answer is american or non-american and you stay in USA, where are you going? How long will you stay in canada? What\'s the reason for going to canada?
4 Did you buy anything or do you have anything to declare?

According to Canadian immigration laws, immigration officers are just supposed to ask this questions only.If they feel not satisfied with your answer or you are lying then they have the right to see if you are violating Canadian immigration laws.If they see somebody has violated Canadian immigration laws or a threat to national security, they have the right to deny access to Canada.

I hope this helps folks out there who are tying to cross borders.

No Title

Canadian..
THANKS for ur response..But my question is the other way . From Canada to US. Supporse I have landed in Canada on PR and try to come back to USA witin 2 weeks of landing in canada, what will be the questions asked by USA immigration. Will USA immigration question me about whether I have a Green Card pending in USA? I am a Indian citizen with Canadian landing papers and USA H1. I also have USA green card under processing.

Also if I take Amtrak from Ontario to NY , how will the immigration check be ?
THANKS

No Title

important suggestions to canadian landing folks with H1b status.

According to the border treaty laws signed by Canada and US, those are the same questions that US immigration officers are supposed to ask you. i have crossed borders zillion times for 15 years and trust me these are the initial questions they ask in Canada-US border.
so when you enter US these could be a sample answer:

citizenship:
India or other. then hand your passport and H1B paperwork. If you have H1B multiple visa stamp in your passport, then only after opening the page, hand your passport.

Where do you stay:
Be careful, if you stay in Canada then say Canada else say USA and name of city and State

Where did you went:
Be specific where you went like Toronto, vancouver, ottowa, winsdor

Purpose of your visit:
Be specific about your visit like visiting a relative or friend,attending a conference or attending a game

Did you buy anything:
if you buy anything from Canada,you have to declare by law.If you buy anything just declare. Once I bought a microwave worth Can$200 and I showed my receipt. They took it inside and inspected it and did not ask me to pay taxes. So nothing to hide if you buy anything, just keep your receipts.if you answer this questions honestly, people will get through if you have proper documentation or status in US.
--------------------------------------------------------
Usually US officials are not bothered by people having landing status in canada and having H1B status(or have applyed GC) in US unless you have a criminal record in Canada.
Now you might be asked your status in canada if you enter US with a Canadian car and H1B status.

Hope this suggestions helps lots of folks. I also get questions which is the best way to cross border:by land, air,greyhound or amtrak.
It does not matter because you will be asked those same questions.My honest bet would be by air.Fly to places in canada like Toronto, vancouver or Winsdor where lots of immigrants live.Officers in those airports are much much more efficient in handling immigrants.

No Title

but my canadian friend has a stamp on his passport saying when he entered. will this stil pose a problem.

No Title

thanks for the information, but will the stamp on his passport saying the day he entered usa hinder him in any way.

No Title

Rajes, when I landed to Canada, I had my I-485 pending too, and teh US custums picked me, and interrogate me, and gave a hard time, I just told em that this is within my legal rights, so, they did inform teh Canadin authorities, who also interrogated me, but, eventually gave me the stamp, well, just try not to let the US officers see you when you are leaving teh US, when you are coming back, they don\'t look at the passport once they find teh stamps they are looking for (teh I94 card etc), unless you have bad luck