What could be reason for delay in getting I-765 approval?

NervousNellie

Registered Users (C)
Hi all!
I wish I would have found out about this site a while ago. Anyhow, my wife and I have our interview date (for I-485) set for March but she hasn't yet recieved her I-765 EAD/Work authorization back yet. Its been about 97 days now. What the heck could it be? I hope to God that I didn't screw anything up! I've been handling most of the work because English isn't her first language. We do have a lawyer as well but I can't get in touch over the long weekend and its killing me. The only thing I can think of is that we didn't bring the reciept for the I-765 form to the biometrics reading in December. Not sure if I needed to bring that reciept. I only brought the reciept that set the biometrics date and it was stamped when she was finished with fingerprints. I called BCIS and told them my concern but they said it shouldn't be a problem. Is the 90-plus wait for I-765 approval common? We are in New Jersey. Any advice would be appreciated and I will share any future info from our experiences. I am the sponser btw. Sorry for such a longwinded question from a newbie but thanks in advance! I hate these long weekends sometimes!

Last edited by a moderator:
- there doesn't have to be a specific reason as to WHY something is delayed. It comes from USCIS, that is reason enough for plenty of delay.

- all you need to bring to a biometrics appointment is the appointment letter and your passport/DL

- your wife can go to the local USCIS district office and apply for an interim EAD in person (after 90 days). You might want to wait 105 days after filing so they can't turn you away with the argument 'well it might be in the mail right now so we don't want to give you one just now'.

Points all well taken hadron and I appreciate the quick response!
Ah yes, Hurry up and wait. I should have remembered that well from the military.
Thanks for the headsup in terms of just needing the appointment letter and ID for the biometrics. I took those to the appointment so thats one less thing to worry about. Take Care!

Hi,
I submitted my husband I-765 EAD application in August and rec'd a notice about a month after that we should be getting an appt. for biometrics. It is now February and I am still waiting. I have made an appt. to meet with an immigration officer through infopass on March 13 in NYC. As usual with everything immigration I try to remember that 1) there is only so much you can do and 2) just keep waiting
Good luck

Fill out another I765 form when you go to the infopass appointment. They shouldn't charge you for the interim-EAD, but you can eliminate another step if you come with the form already properly filled out.

ngjokaj said:
Hi,
I submitted my husband I-765 EAD application in August and rec'd a notice about a month after that we should be getting an appt. for biometrics. It is now February and I am still waiting. I have made an appt. to meet with an immigration officer through infopass on March 13 in NYC. As usual with everything immigration I try to remember that 1) there is only so much you can do and 2) just keep waiting
Good luck

Frustrating I know. Waiting since Aug/Sept for a biometrics appt. does seem kind of long. My wife had her biometrics done (in Newark) about a month after we filed the forms in Nov. There just seems to be no ryhme or reason to any of this USCIS stuff. I know its a pain to have to make an appointment to see what the delay is. I made an InfoPass appt. for the EAD the other day as well. I hope the EAD approval comes in the mail first but now its been over 100 days when the time limit was supposedly 90 days. Good luck and keep us posted.

Spoke to USCIS the other day and I found out the reason for the delay in my wife getting back the decision on her I-765. It has been about 110 days now since the reciept (processing time was supposed to be 90 days). It seems that for EAD tied to the I-485 (which my wife's is) it is taking a little longer for some reason. They said I should have word within about two weeks.

'You should hear within 2 weeks' is their typical stalling tactic. Go back, get an interim EAD, they should be able to issue a simple document in 90 days, if they don't you have relief through the iEAD route. Yes, it is painful to stand in line at the district office, but if you wait for them to get back to you you will grow old.