What can I do if I'm laid off while I-485 is pending?

HeidiL

Registered Users (C)
Hello friend,
Can somebody help me? I heard a lot about AC21 from the Forum. However, I'm still very confused. I'd really appreciate it if somebody could kindly explain it.
Here is my case:
My I-485 has been filed recently. How will it affect my I-485 if I get laid off ( I feel there is a great chance of being laid off)
(1) before 6 months of employment with current employer? Do I still have a chance to get my green card?
(2) after 6 months? How many days are allowed for me to get another job so that I can continue my I-485?

Moreover, What kind of evidence does INS will ask me for? When will they ask me for the proof of employment?
Thank you very much for your tme.

If you get laid off anytime before or after 180 days you need to find another job asap.
If you get laid off before 180 days if you can get a letter from your current employer about future employment then you should be okay. But you yet need to have another job if you get an RFE or an interview call.
If you get laid off after 180 days you don't need a letter from your current employer but you yet need to have a job.
Aryana.

What will happen

1. If you are laid off after 180 days and you did not get a job and RFE comes to give proof of Emp. and six months paystubs. Employer who filed I-485 is ready to give the Letter of future employement. But since you cannot produce paystubs for last six months, will INS will be satisfied with the Letter of Future employment?

Thanks, GeeCee Saga and gcwaiter-feb98:

I still have a few questions. Your answer will be appreciated.

I filed I-485 on Sep 19, 2002 at VSC. What will happen next?
When will I get RFE and when will I get an interview?
Will INS check my pay stubs right before it apporves I-485?

Also, when should I ask my employer for future employment letter? On the day layoff is announced?

Would you recommend that I should start looking for a job now?

Thank you for your time.