what can GC bring us?

Fuji

Registered Users (C)
Am I alone here addicting to this forum? -- Maybe not
Why do I (or we) addict at this forum? -- lot of reason?
When will this long journey end? -- Soon?
What can GC bring us? -- Physically nothing

I seems have the answers of these questions, but I still addict on this forum. I visit here several times a day, checke the online status twice a day.

I know GC can't bring me anything, instead it can only release me from the long waiting and frustration!

I'm waiting for the magic words from the TSC, "Your I485 is approved."

So I like the number 485: I choose my cell phone # ended with 485; I like the order # 485 of my lunch. I was laughing at myself about this. :D
On April 6, I went to Jack-in-the-Box for lunch, my order # was 485. When the girl called order # 485 was ready, I thought my 485 approval was coming! (in just 3 minutes!) :D :D :D :D

The longer you wait for something, the more eager you want to get it!!!
---- I think this is the whole answer for the questions above.

Look, nowadays, the GC process time is the longest than everything:
Longer than geting a Master degree;
Longer (even harder) than geting a girlfriend/wife/boyfriend/husband; ONe girl dump you, you can chase another you like; but you can only stick on TSC for your GC, if TSC dump you, you have no other TSC to play with! :)
Longer than geting a baby;
...... you name it!

Please please TSC, don't torture us by this anymore!!!:eek:

It seems logical: once you get your GC, you may get something easily. Like it take long time to get enough credit to get your first credit card approval, after a while, you get pre-approved credit card everyday in your mail box, then you toss them to trashcan!

More discussion welcomed!

Good Easter weekend everybody! (I can go home early by noon today.) :)

Fujie S

Last edited by a moderator:
plastic card can bring us ...

to FujiS buddy (ge men er)

- free to enter usa, canada, mexico, bermuda, cayman islands, british virgin islandsand and switzerland !!
- free to find job in usa
- after 5 years, turn citizen, then free to travel europe and more places .... :p
- what else? welcome to add :D

C++

You can't travel to Europe with your GC? (I thought you can.)

Happy good easter, buddy!

Huh ! good question.

A couple of minutes of excitement in my experience.

But then ....
1. If you have it in you, start your own business maybe ?
2. Not be bothered about H1 quota for a change ?
3. Learnt the art of building patience into your personality ?

The kicker ...
... as someone's signature states ..." there are some things money can buy. For everythign else, there's GREENCARD" !

Re: Huh ! good question.

Originally posted by jaysee

The kicker ...
... as someone's signature states ..." there are some things money can buy. For everythign else, there's GREENCARD" !
jaysee: i like it :D

also, to FujiS:
we canNOT travel to europe only with gc, we DO need visa, i am positive

all you have nice easter day !

GC

Hi, guys,

I just got my approval this morning. I might have some new perpective on this topic.

No, getting gc won't make you smarter, nicer or richer... gc is not your lottery ticket that can make you say good buy to your boss.

But I know GC can bring you the sense of security. You know you can stay in this country as long as you can if you want. you can be laid off tomorrow and not worring about that RFE coming after you (I know, this is the last thing you want to worry about at that time). I know some friends delay their purchase of house until they get GC, some delay their travel plan aborad until they get approval. That is all the benefits I can think of gc.

So, it really is the intageble GC can bring us, not some physical or concrete thing. The long waiting process just make it even more valuable.

To borrow a phrase from money: it can't do anything, but you can't do anything without it.

To those portal addict, we need to put GC in perpective and realized GC is not everything in your life. Cheer on!

GC vs. money

contractorrfe,

it seems GC doesn't bring any money, instead it helps to spend money ---- on traveling, buying stuff --- exactly like a credit card does!

To me, GC doesn't bring anything physically, but will get rid off something bothering me mentally! :D

Apart from the things you have mentioned

i want to add
1>you don't have to worry abt filling for EAD & AP crap every year.

That in itself has been so much pain and frustration.
APs take almost 5-6 months to get approved, so you almost have to plan so much ahead. plus there is this constant fear that they will screw up with card name or a photo or something.

And then for EAD, i made big mistake to E-file for EAD in Jan.
people who filed by regular mail have got approved easily.
whereas i am still waiting.
Now for IEAD, i have heard of some bad stories that you have to stand in queue since 5 am and yet you have 5-10 people ahead of you.. etc.. etc..

2> overall a Piece of Mind
3> the ease of travel as you guys mentioned.
4> open a account with Ingdirect.com ..:D

Re: Huh ! good question.

Originally posted by jaysee
[The kicker ...
... as someone's signature states ..." there are some things money can buy. For everythign else, there's GREENCARD" ! [/B]
I think that was curiousGeorge's signature for a long time. Now he changed to something similar to this.

For what can GC bring us, I want to add few more. Since I'm in Florida, these may be special in this state where the President's brother is the governor.

1. Get the homestead exemption.
2. Do not need to renew your DL every two years although your H-1B is longer than that.
3. Have one more plastic in your wallet.
4. Pay tax to Uncle Sam no matter where you work, even overseas.
5. If you want to keep it, spend at least 6 months in this country unless you get the reentry permit.
6. Do not need to give FP when you enter this country.
7. If you want to abandon it in the future, you do it as your free will without that frastrated thought like " I HAVE to leave this country".
8. After enduring the whole process, realize what is more important in your life.

Sorry for being sarcastic, I just cannot help.

GC=Life

Of course it's not the life the keeps us alive as a human being, but life as in your social life, work life, family life, home life etc.... For most of us we've been here long enough to say this will be my home country from now on, to raise my family and probably stay here for the rest of our natural life.

It has no monetary value but it is the core of our life, at least for now.

add these too:

- No more US embassy waiting line for any kind of visa..
- special entry line at the port of entry
- Your current passport become much valuable

:D

Though you need a visa to travel to Europe, obtaining one is easy. Switzerland is the only country in Europe that allows GC holders to enter without visa.

College tuition_ could be saved

My kid is in 3rd year of college.

She got excellent SAT, great academic credentials 4.0 consistent from grade4 all the way till grade 11.

But was denied the aid / scholarship just because I dont have GC. She got approved/ sanctioned first and then denied. That was the hard part.

I am spending like 8 grand a year on her ............ 2 years already over.

If I have gotten the GC, I would have saved like 20 grands.

And also, the performance of the guys at work does get impacted to some extent.

For example, a very knowledgeable guy who did not have GC was hesitating to come out with his brilliant ideas in many meetings I participated just because he was scared that he may be touching 'high tension' lines with his proposals/ or not accepting some of the others designs.......... who did not have proper vision.

After he got the GC approved, he was really flying high and snapped on some of the BSs of others.......... and the end result was 'lot of improvement in the design/ and cost savings'.
When I checked with him on the reason, 'he opened admitted that 'GC is not done..............dont want to get into any trouble" was the reason'. In my opinion he was a real genious....... but had to shut up for this reason.

Management has recognised his ability and made him jump 2 level higher.

Well it haunts me too to some extent when I try to put forth my point of views.

Some one I know put his kid to a ranking tech college but had to pay out of state tution fee totalling 30 grands. He showed previous 7 years of tax returns that he has been residing in the same state but they told him that he does not have GC. He is eagerly awaiting GC as it would save him 22 grands a year on tution.

I agree with Cary6.

Persoanlly I have been keeping low profile for last 7 years just because I do not have GC. I can not switch careers even if I want to. I can not openly discuss in meetings and listen to all non sense, because I had to be in the job for which my LC is filed. Afraid to say anything to anyone. Pursuing a very low, passive life and just waiting for the freedom.

Yes, that's the hard part. I am afraid to speak out anything in the company, everytime there is a lay off happening I am scared, even I know it is not me, because, the laid off people could say something like I "have" their job... Once I have my GC, I will be released from this "fearsome' situation. But, when?:rolleyes: