What are the benefits for applying PR for Canada, On H1B

devram

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,

I am in US on H1B for last 2.5 years. My labor certification has been applied, but it seems like its taking forever. I read couple of posts on this forum about PR in Canada.

Can anyone explain me the benefits for starting the PR process for Canada ?

How would i be able to manage my Job here in US if i get PR in Canada ?.

How long does it take to get the PR status ?.

Do i have to live there ?.

I would really appreciate your advice on this.

Thanks,

gtm

No Title

Hi,
Canadian Permanent residency is fairly straight forward. It takes a lot less time than the U.S. You can get it within 6 to 9 months. There system is based on points. Go to the official Canadian immigration website and see whether you qualify or not. They have a chart where you can score yourself, simple. Having an H-1B and applying should not be any trouble, or any other visa as long as you are legal here. Once you are a resident of Canada, you need to land. I am not sure how long you have to stay there but people have gone, got there passport stamped, and came back to work in the U.S.
But you have to have a minimum of 80 points. Anyway, do a search on this board. You should be able to get most of your questions answered.
Hope this helps.

TN status.

One of the biggest benefits of being a Canadian PR is the chance to become Candian citizen which confers several benefits:
   1. As a Candian citizen you can work in US on the TN Visa.
   2. You can live and utilize Canadian services ( Medical, jobs open only to citizens and in the worst case Canadian Social security etc.), if you cannot find anything here.
   3. You can sponsor your parents/siblings to get Candian PR. Candian PR\'s do not need a visa to come here ( with certain restrictions).

In short being a Canadian citizen has a lot of benefits from an immigration perspective and it is easier and takes only takes 2 years Vs 5 years for US citizenship.
  The only constraint is that you have to live in Canada for 2 of the past t 5 years to qualify for citizenship. However, if you/your spouse is a student or you/your spouse works for a Candian company, any stay abroad is counted for the 2 year period. If you plan to get your spouse enrolled in school for > 1 year, I would strongly suggest that you apply for Candian PR once you get married.
  Good Luck with your plans.

No Title

Thank a lot all of you for the valuable info.

Do i need find a job before applying for PR ?.

I have Bachelor\'s Degree in Engineering and 5+ years of experience,
will it be good enough for getting 80 points without having job in Canada ?.

How would i satisfy the 2 years stay if i come back to US for my job ?. Will they not revoke the PR as i am not statying there ?.

Krishna Venkat -> I couldn\'t understand the point of having spouse enrolled in school.

Please help me out clearing above points also.

Thanks,

Gtm

Candian Citizenship

Canadian PR costs in the range of US $1500 per person or $3000 for a couple assuming you do it on your own. If you plan to reside in Canada this money is worth spending. Howeber, if you are working in US and have plans to apply for US PR, CPR will eventually expire in 2(not sure of the exact time) years from the time it is issued. One way of not wasting the CPR is to become Canadian citizen for which a two year Candian residency is required. Education of spouse is one of the reason a waiver is given for residency requirement. It is this context I was referring to in my earlier mail. Applying for CPR has nothing to do with your spouse being in school. Hope this clarifies the issue.

No Title

Do i need find a job before applying for PR ?.
not exactly.

I have Bachelor\'s Degree in Engineering and 5+ years of experience,
will it be good enough for getting 80 points without having job in Canada ?.

good enough.

How would i satisfy the 2 years stay if i come back to US for my job ?. Will they not revoke the PR as i am not statying there ?.

u can worry abt it later.