what are my chances for NIW?

NIW-2005

Registered Users (C)
I appreciate it if you could advice me about my chances of applying with the NIW at NSC.
I got my PhD in 2002. have 11 publications (all first author). only 20 citations to my papers. have 3 recommendation letter from people that I have worked with. planning to get one more.
I heard the more independent the better. but I have none of those (if anyone would advice me for a packet that could help me in writing these recommendation letter, that would be great).
I have only few local awards (2 travel awards for meetings, the achievement award for postdoctoral research in our department, nomination for a best paper award; but I didnot get the award!)
My research could be considered of high intrinsic merit and of national scope. my major concern is whether my qualification will meet the current standards for NIW.

any comments or help are greatly appreciated

thanks a lot

Proving :
National interest
why you want to avoid labor certification &
proving that you are outstanding is key for NIW.

YES more letters from independent will help. 3 letters from known will make your case weak.

publication wise you are o.k but you need to prove impact of publication. one way to do so will be letters from top scientists.

It will tough to prove labor if above two are missing.

NIW-2005 said:
I appreciate it if you could advice me about my chances of applying with the NIW at NSC.
I got my PhD in 2002. have 11 publications (all first author). only 20 citations to my papers. have 3 recommendation letter from people that I have worked with. planning to get one more.
I heard the more independent the better. but I have none of those (if anyone would advice me for a packet that could help me in writing these recommendation letter, that would be great).
I have only few local awards (2 travel awards for meetings, the achievement award for postdoctoral research in our department, nomination for a best paper award; but I didnot get the award!)
My research could be considered of high intrinsic merit and of national scope. my major concern is whether my qualification will meet the current standards for NIW.

any comments or help are greatly appreciated

thanks a lot

Your case looks not too strong but it really depends for you how you will explain the National interest and why you have to avoid LC. But you need also to show your imapct of yoru research by independent scientists. Your current letters, awards (which won't count as awards since they seems to be departmental awards) etc. are by far not enough.

I want to thank you guys for your inputs.
I was also wondering if you know of a lawyer that would look at my whole package and give their opinions and make necessary changes for a reasonable cost. or if you advice me with a good do-it-yourself kit, that will be really very helpful.

thanks a lot

Please Review for NIW or OR

Hi Guys,

I am planning to apply for either NIW or OR category. Please review

6 publications in International Journals as major author (Including two papers in PNAS)

One book chapter as second author.

4 papers as second or third author.

Conferences Five international conferences presentations (Posters only)

Will arrange 12 letters including 7 independent referees.

Where does my case stand. I am currently working as Post-doc in US.

One invited lecture in an International conference

reviewed two papers for a Journal.

Membership None

Please find weak points and strength

Thanks

redbluff

redbluff said:
Hi Guys,

I am planning to apply for either NIW or OR category. Please review

6 publications in International Journals as major author (Including two papers in PNAS)

One book chapter as second author.

4 papers as second or third author.

Conferences Five international conferences presentations (Posters only)

Will arrange 12 letters including 7 independent referees.

Where does my case stand. I am currently working as Post-doc in US.

One invited lecture in an International conference

reviewed two papers for a Journal.

Membership None

Please find weak points and strength

Thanks

redbluff

For NIW you have to describe what you are exactly doing and if it is of national interest.
OR might be ok but there are some questions:
PNAS is a little bit tricky since it is not a clear peer-reviewed journal. Members of the academy of science can publish a certain amount of papers per year (two) without peer review and USCIS doesn't like non peer reviewed journals.
Do you have a personal invitation for the book chapter or was your boss invited for the chapter. The first case is great, the second one is nothing special.
Do you have a personal invitation by the editor of the journal you acted as a referee ?
How about your number of citations, that is very important for OR to show your impact in the field. And you have to differentation between just citations and papers who discuss your results in detail.
Since you are a postdoc: Do you have a official letters that your position is permanent and not linked to any kind of grant that might expire ? And don't use the P-word for OR otherwise you will have no chance.

I was told by my lawyer that i would have a better chance with EB1EA than NIW. But after reading AAO decisions for EB1EA at BCIS web site, i am worried so much. Please advise me on which way i should take, NIW or EB1EA. My research can be applied to homeland security.

- PhD (Electrical Eng) from a top university (2002)
- now i am a researcher at a ok university (research in military related wireless communication)
- Two international awards (one is a student award at a major conference, the other is a paper award at an international conference)
- 1 Book in a foreign language, and 1 book chapter
- 8 journal papers (all are in major journals)
- 30 conference papers
- Cited around 20 times (not including citation by former and current co-workers)
- have reviewed papers for 5 journals (3 of them are IEEE Trans)
- Serves on the technical program committee for the main IEEE conference in my field.(reviewer for the highly competitive conference)
- A company was launched based on my patent (i am not part of the company although i was involved in the establishment)
- I plan to collect 8 letters or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Honkman,

Thanks for your critical comments, it will help me. What do you mean by not using P-word. I could not understand it. Please explain.

No- my position in Post-doc and is not permanent or tenured.

Does that mean that I do not have any chance in EB1 or OR.

Please comment

Thanks

Redbluff

honkman said:
For NIW you have to describe what you are exactly doing and if it is of national interest.
OR might be ok but there are some questions:
PNAS is a little bit tricky since it is not a clear peer-reviewed journal. Members of the academy of science can publish a certain amount of papers per year (two) without peer review and USCIS doesn't like non peer reviewed journals.
Do you have a personal invitation for the book chapter or was your boss invited for the chapter. The first case is great, the second one is nothing special.
Do you have a personal invitation by the editor of the journal you acted as a referee ?
How about your number of citations, that is very important for OR to show your impact in the field. And you have to differentation between just citations and papers who discuss your results in detail.
Since you are a postdoc: Do you have a official letters that your position is permanent and not linked to any kind of grant that might expire ? And don't use the P-word for OR otherwise you will have no chance.

redbluff said:
Hi Honkman,

Thanks for your critical comments, it will help me. What do you mean by not using P-word. I could not understand it. Please explain.

No- my position in Post-doc and is not permanent or tenured.

Does that mean that I do not have any chance in EB1 or OR.

Please comment

Thanks

Redbluff

The p-word is indeed the word postdoc. If you want to apply for OR you have to have a permanent position with job offer letters from your boss and HR clearly stating that your job is permanent. Since your job is not permanent you can't apply for OR but for EA (much tougher) or NIW (need national impact of your research).