• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

What about SSN?

jyadul

Registered Users (C)
hi, Catseyes, researcher229, Jugnu786, and all the good people out there!

thanks guys for helping me with my AOS.

i got the green card last month, July 7th. but i got a question for you guys: how about the SSN? m i going to get any new SSN since i changed my status from student to permanent resident. i answered "Yes" to item nos. 33a and 33b of DS230 Part II. Do i have to do anything else if they are going to assign me a new SSN? any info from you guys would be helpful.

thanks.

DS form is for Department of State, but you mostly worked with U.S. Department of Homeland Security. I'm not sure that USCIS would ask SSA to issue to you new SSN.
You already have SSN. Take your GC and go to the local SSA office. They will remove all restrictions from your SSN account. That is it.

Off: you got GC on 07/07/07 :) – COOL DATE :)

yeah, u already have a SSN. u don't even need to get a new card if you don't want to as long as you can show your greencard with ur SSN card when u apply for a job as the greencard is ur authorization to work.
I know on ur SSN, its says not authorized to work without DHS authorization.