Went to update SS but they did not give any paper works

Marlia53

Registered Users (C)
I became a US citizen two months ago. I went to to SS to update with my passport and Naturalization Certificate. The office took copies of my documents and told me it will take 16 days to update because they have to verify with USCS. I have not heard anything so far. Have they done their job? Is everything is okay? I did not get anything by mail? Should I go to the SS office and inquire?

Does your SS card still have the employment restriction wording on it? If yes, they're supposed to send you a new card with the restriction removed. That's how you'll know they've done the job.

But if your SS card already has the restriction removed, you won't get a new card. They'll just update your status in the system and you won't get anything to verify that they did it.

I just want to confirm that I also didn't get any paperwork back nor did I receive any confirmation letters. I did update my I-9 form with my employer a couple weeks later and I never heard a peep from HR after that, so they either filed it away and didn't bother with it, or they ran it and came back OK.

This is also a reminder for you to notify your employer of your new status. If they were to spot check and they still have you as a permanent resident but the SSA now has you on file as a US Citizen, it may get flagged.

It looks like different regional social security offices may have slightly different practices. In my case my old (pre-naturalization) social security card did not have any wording restricting its usage - it just had my name and s.s.n.
After naturalization I updated my status with the Social Security administration to that of a U.S. citizen. I did not receive any direct confirmation, but about 3 weeks later I received a new social security card (which was actually identical to the old one).

It looks like different regional social security offices may have slightly different practices. In my case my old (pre-naturalization) social security card did not have any wording restricting its usage - it just had my name and s.s.n.
If you originally got the SS card as a permanent resident, or got an updated card after becoming a permanent resident, it wouldn't have the employment restriction. Only people who obtained their SSN before green card approval would have a SS card with the restriction.

After naturalization I updated my status with the Social Security administration to that of a U.S. citizen. I did not receive any direct confirmation, but about 3 weeks later I received a new social security card (which was actually identical to the old one).
It's strange that they would send a new card in your situation (unless you changed your name).

If you originally got the SS card as a permanent resident, or got an updated card after becoming a permanent resident, it wouldn't have the employment restriction. Only people who obtained their SSN before green card approval would have a SS card with the restriction.

Actually, I got my soc. sec. card in early 1990s, way back before I got my GC. I got that card when I came to the U.S. as an F-1 student and at that time they did not print any restrictions on the card itself. I think for F-1 students they started printing such restrictions (something like "not valid for employment without additional authorization") a year or two after I arrived.

As for the name, my name on the new card was exactly the same as on my old one.

Actually, I got my soc. sec. card in early 1990s, way back before I got my GC. I got that card when I came to the U.S. as an F-1 student and at that time they did not print any restrictions on the card itself. I think for F-1 students they started printing such restrictions (something like "not valid for employment without additional authorization") a year or two after I arrived.

I got my SS card in 1990 or 1991 while in F-1 status, and it had "not valid for employment". When I started working with H1B, I got it changed to "valid for employment only with INS authorization". Then after getting the green card, I got a new SS card without the employment restriction.

Perhaps your unrestricted card was a mistake, and they sent you a new card because your old card was registered in the system as a restricted one (although it physically didn't have the restriction).

I got my SS card in 1990 or 1991 while in F-1 status, and it had "not valid for employment". When I started working with H1B, I got it changed to "valid for employment only with INS authorization". Then after getting the green card, I got a new SS card without the employment restriction.

Perhaps your unrestricted card was a mistake, and they sent you a new card because your old card was registered in the system as a restricted one (although it physically didn't have the restriction).

I came to the U.S. in the summer of 1992 as a PhD student (and in fact I did work during my studies, but only for the university where I was enrolled in) . Maybe different regional social security offices had different practices back then. I remember that my office-mate came at the same time as me, and he was also an international student, and we both got social security cards at almost the same time. I remember seeing his card and that it did not have any restrictions on it either. But I also remember that about midway through my graduate school, new international students started telling us that their social security cards had some sort of a notation restricting the usage of their cards.

In fact, I remember being told by the office of international students, that I was authorized to work for the university itself and that, while being enrolled in my PhD program, I could also be employed outside the university but only as a part of curricular practical training, and only if the office of international students approves such employment in advance and makes the corresponding notation on my I-20 (but that I would not need an EAD from USCIS for that). As far as I understand, those rules are essentially still in effect (and that an EAD is only required for post-curricular optional practical training).

After I received my LPR status in 2002, I went to the local social security office and updated my records with them (prior to that I had an H1B visa) to make sure that their database showed me as having unrestricted employment eligibility. I assume they did update my file then, although they did not send me a new card at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
My card is not a restricted one. They took out the restriction and sent me a new one just after I became 10 year PR. Now, after became a citizen I went there to update and haven't get any print out saying that they have actually update my status as citizen. If it is a normal practice I have not problem. Otherwise I have to go and talk to them.

I had a SS# with restrictions before getting my GC. On becoming a PR, I had the restriction removed immediately after. After citizenship, once I updated my status at the SS office, the lady told me I would receive a new card. I received a receipt in the mail stating that I had applied for new cards the week after going to the SS office, and I received the new card last week. It looks no different from the old one. Not sure why they had to send a new one, but this is my experience.