Welcome letter received, awaiting GC, can they travel outside the USA?

docykm

Registered Users (C)
Folks,

I applied through the DORA program for both my parents. Timeline below:

Jan 8, 2007: Interview, accepted into the program
Feb 6th, 2007: Went for fingerprinting
March 1, 2007: Mom's fingerprints rejected
March 6th, 2007: Second round of fingerprints for Mom
April 19, 2007: Infopass appt to determine status of their applications; was told that welcome letter will be mailed out "any day now"
April 26, 2007: Both parents receive Welcome letter, AOS completed, physical GC expected in "3 weeks time". Date USCIS mailed letter: April 20th!

Now, my parents have confirmed reservations for travel back to India on April 29th.

Questions:

* Can they safely travel outside the USA, now that their GC is approved, even though they have not received the physical cards yet?

* If they do leave as planned on April 29th (without the GC, most likely), will they run into trouble the next time they enter the US? They would have the GCs in their possession when they come in next time, as we could mail it to them whenever we receive it.

My gut feeling is that they should extend their stay and head back to India only AFTER receiving their GC. This way, no problems whatsoever. However, the only point that gives me pause is the ticket availability on Lufthansa (none after May 8th until June 26th) and my Dad's preference to be in India before June 15th to take care of some matters.

Has anybody experienced a similar situation? Any pointers on the safest course of action? Clearly, we do not want to jeopardize their GC status if leaving now without the GCs will cause problems later on. When we posed this same question at the InfoPass appt, he seemed a little too flippant about it and said they could leave as planned and have the GC mailed to them, but he did not seem too knowledgeable about the matter. So we are not sure.

Any comments welcome.

Thanks!

You need either the Green Card or the I-551 stamp in your passport to return to the USA after foriegn travel. The welcome letter is not enough.

Your best bet is to make an Infopass appointment, go to the office and tell them you need to travel and ask for the I-551 stamp.

Otherwise, I would not advise making the trip.

You need either the Green Card or the I-551 stamp in your passport to return to the USA after foriegn travel. The welcome letter is not enough.

Your best bet is to make an Infopass appointment, go to the office and tell them you need to travel and ask for the I-551 stamp.

Otherwise, I would not advise making the trip.

Thanks for the reply. I understand that an I-551 stamp is needed if they were to return to the US *BEFORE* they had their GC with them. But according to their current plans, they are expected back in the USA after around 4-6 months, by which time they will have their GC with them. Do you still think leaving now is an issue?

I have no problems getting a I-551 stamp, but the earliest appointment I got was May 1, 2007 (went ahead and took it anyway).

Oh, sorry I missed that in your first post, so you mean to forward the Green Cards to them while they are abroad?

The only problem with that is people with foriegn passports flying out of the USA with return tickets are often asked for proof that they can legally return by the airline. It doesn't always happen, but the last time I travelled abroad I was asked for my Green Card at the checkin desk at Dulles.

If you can get past the checkin desk, then there's no point at which the Green Card is needed until you return.

Yes, I am planning to mail them the GCs while they are in India.

As for the return tickets issue, their forthcoming trip to India is actually the return leg of their current trip. Next time they enter the US would be on a new round trip, hopefully with their shiny new GCs :)

Thanks again for your prompt responses. Much appreciated.

cut the crap...

Yes, I am planning to mail them the GCs while they are in India.

As for the return tickets issue, their forthcoming trip to India is actually the return leg of their current trip. Next time they enter the US would be on a new round trip, hopefully with their shiny new GCs :)

Thanks again for your prompt responses. Much appreciated.

Douche,

You better cool your jets, mailing a greencard is like sending a credit card in the mail, someone is going to get hold of it and screw you...:rolleyes:

As such, get your parents passports stamped with I-551 and once you received their greencards, keep them here in the US or take them when you go to India, there is no need to place their cards in danger by this mail nonsense. :eek: Once those cards are lost, then you will wait for another 2-3 years from USCIS to replace them, at times, it could take longer because of the incompetence of the process.

Chill and have a jello for dessert....