Weired USCIS Returned my EAD application!!!

gckajadoo

Registered Users (C)
Guys, Please shed some lights on the problem I am facing as follows:

This is my 5 EAD application and just like the last 4 application I send all the documents with the new fee of $340 but today USCIS has returned my application with a letter stating as follows:
As Per the USCIS announcement issued on June 21, 2007, USCIS instructs applicants that on or after August 29th 2007 to direct file their forms that were transitioned during the 2006 Bi Specialization initiative. The form filing instructions are by geographic jurisdiction and form type.

The revised filing instructions include Bi Specialization forms:
Form I-129F
Form I-131
Form I-140
Form I-360
Form I-485
Form I-765
Form I-907

Please consult your form instructions, the online form filing instructions or visit www.uscis.gov for additional filing instructions.
now at this point of time I have no idea what it means. Please let me know if anyone knows what to do next.
PS: my I-485 was filed in Texas and even though I moved to CA I was sending my application for EAD and AP to the following Address and successfully getting EAD/AP approved till today!
USCIS
PO Box 851041
Mesquite, Texas 75185-1041

Any help to understand this is appreciated.

Thanks,
gckajadoo

Guys, Please shed some lights on the problem I am facing as follows:

This is my 5 EAD application and just like the last 4 application I send all the documents with the new fee of $340 but today USCIS has returned my application with a letter stating as follows:
As Per the USCIS announcement issued on June 21, 2007, USCIS instructs applicants that on or after August 29th 2007 to direct file their forms that were transitioned during the 2006 Bi Specialization initiative. The form filing instructions are by geographic jurisdiction and form type.

The revised filing instructions include Bi Specialization forms:
Form I-129F
Form I-131
Form I-140
Form I-360
Form I-485
Form I-765
Form I-907

Please consult your form instructions, the online form filing instructions or visit www.uscis.gov for additional filing instructions.
now at this point of time I have no idea what it means. Please let me know if anyone knows what to do next.
PS: my I-485 was filed in Texas and even though I moved to CA I was sending my application for EAD and AP to the following Address and successfully getting EAD/AP approved till today!
USCIS
PO Box 851041
Mesquite, Texas 75185-1041

Any help to understand this is appreciated.

Thanks,
gckajadoo

If you live in California, then you need to file in NSC as the instructions doc of I-765.

Nebraska Service Center Filings
File Form I-765 alone or concurrently with Form I-485 withthe Nebraska Service Center if you live in:
Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Guam, Hawaii,Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan,Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, NorthDakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington,Wisconsin or Wyoming.
If you are filing Form I-765 alone, mail your Form I-765package to:
USCISNebraska Service CenterP.O. Box 87765Lincoln, NE 68501-7765

This is my understanding too: if you are filing EAD/AP based on pending I-485, i.e. (c)(9) on EAD, then you need to file either to TSC on NSC depending on your geographic location, regardless of where your I-485 is pending. It's NSC in your case. The new "law of the land" so to speak :)

I thought for (c)(9) the filing location is where your 485 is pending and notbased on where you live. The filing location based on where you live applies to Asylum applicants. Can anyone post the memorandum that says for (c)(9) the filing location is based on state where you live and not where your 485 is pending. thanks.

gckajadoo, make sure you have the correct category for EAD filing.

I-765 look at form instructions on Page7. This form expires on 8/31/2008.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If your response to question 16 is (c)(9), file your applicatin at the same local USCIS office or Service Center where you submitted your adjustment of status application.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If your response to question 16 is:
(a)(16), (a)(11), (a)(14.............. or (c)(17)(iii):
mail your application based on your address to the appropriate Service Center. The correct Service Center is based on the state or territory in which you live.

Last edited by a moderator:
Review Instructions for I-765 (Rev. 07/30/07), p. 9 - 10:
http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-765instr.pdf

"If your response to Question 16 is (c)(9), and you files your I-85 adjustment of status application with a USCIS service center, you must file Form I-765 at the Nebraska Service Center ot Texas Service Center depending on where you live (see the following addresses).

Nebraska Service Center Filings
File Form I-765 alone or concurrently with Form I-485 withthe Nebraska Service Center if you live in:
Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Guam, Hawaii,Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan,Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, NorthDakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington,Wisconsin or Wyoming.

Texas Service Center Filings
File Form I-765 with the Texas Service Center if you live in:
Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia,Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts,Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico,New York, North Carolina, South Carolina, Oklahoma,Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, Tennessee,Texas, Vermont, Virginia, U.S. Virgin Islands, WestVirginia or Washington, DC"

Apparently, this is a new regulation

I thought for (c)(9) the filing location is where your 485 is pending and notbased on where you live. The filing location based on where you live applies to Asylum applicants. Can anyone post the memorandum that says for (c)(9) the filing location is based on state where you live and not where your 485 is pending. thanks.

gckajadoo, make sure you have the correct category for EAD filing.

I-765 look at form instructions on Page7. This form expires on 8/31/2008.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If your response to question 16 is (c)(9), file your applicatin at the same local USCIS office or Service Center where you submitted your adjustment of status application.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If your response to question 16 is:
(a)(16), (a)(11), (a)(14.............. or (c)(17)(iii):
mail your application based on your address to the appropriate Service Center. The correct Service Center is based on the state or territory in which you live.

I am not sure which document you see, but if you go to http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-765instr.pdf (which also expires 08/31/08), from last part of page 9 until end of page 10 under "Where to File" has all these information.

Guys,
Mine is (c)(9) category. But I was reading the instruction sheet and found the following address for CA
"USCIS
California Service Center
P.O. Box 10765
Laguna Niguel,
CA92607-1076"
Is this not the right Address to file the I-765 Application??? (as per the new rules?)

thanks,
gckajadoo.

I filed my AP in October at TSC and got it approved in about a month.

I live in MO and my I-485 is currently pending at TSC (originally filed at VSC).

I don't think you read the correct address for (c)(9). There are two forms that describe the Where to file informatino.
1. http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-765instr.pdf
2. http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-765.pdf
In instruction pdf it is mentioned "If your response to Question 16 is (c)(9), and you files your I-485 adjustment of status application with a USCIS service center, you must file Form I-765 at the Nebraska Service Center ot Texas Service Center depending on where you live (see the following addresses)."

In I-765 itself it is mentioned that "If your response to question 16 is (c)(9), file your applicatin at the same local USCIS office or Service Center where you submitted your adjustment of status application.".

Both forms are current and expire 8/31/08. Only difference is in main page where these forms are listed, it is mentioned to follow special instructions. So, I think we should go by instructions.

However, We live in PA and we filed in TSC and we sent our extension to TSC and it got approved. According to instructions on I-765 I would need to send to Vermont. Probably USCIS has some grace period so, none of us had any problem. May be recently that grace period might have ended. Anyway, I suggest that you call and find out where to file or take infopass appointment to find out which center to file.

Guys,
Mine is (c)(9) category. But I was reading the instruction sheet and found the following address for CA
"USCIS
California Service Center
P.O. Box 10765
Laguna Niguel,
CA92607-1076"
Is this not the right Address to file the I-765 Application??? (as per the new rules?)

thanks,
gckajadoo.

I don't think you read the correct address for (c)(9). There are two forms that describe the Where to file informatino.
1. http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-765instr.pdf
2. http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-765.pdf
In instruction pdf it is mentioned "If your response to Question 16 is (c)(9), and you files your I-485 adjustment of status application with a USCIS service center, you must file Form I-765 at the Nebraska Service Center ot Texas Service Center depending on where you live (see the following addresses)."

In I-765 itself it is mentioned that "If your response to question 16 is (c)(9), file your applicatin at the same local USCIS office or Service Center where you submitted your adjustment of status application.".

Both forms are current and expire 8/31/08. Only difference is in main page where these forms are listed, it is mentioned to follow special instructions. So, I think we should go by instructions.

However, We live in PA and we filed in TSC and we sent our extension to TSC and it got approved. According to instructions on I-765 I would need to send to Vermont. Probably USCIS has some grace period so, none of us had any problem. May be recently that grace period might have ended. Anyway, I suggest that you call and find out where to file or take infopass appointment to find out which center to file.

Seems like we all agree on NSC for CA resident irrespective of where he/she filed the I-485 application, I went ahead and resent my I-765 application to NSC now. Lets see what happens this time..
Thanks to you all for your very informative Input.

Thanks,
gckajadoo.

The reason your EAd came back was that you filed in CSC. Now all AOS benefits needs to be applied only in TSC and NSC and not at VSC or CSC. Even if you sent it to TSC it should be good. I haven't seen any problem with people applying TSC even if they were living NSC zone.

The reason your EAd came back was that you filed in CSC. Now all AOS benefits needs to be applied only in TSC and NSC and not at VSC or CSC. Even if you sent it to TSC it should be good. I haven't seen any problem with people applying TSC even if they were living NSC zone.
I sent to TSC, and it came back. So now I sent it to NSC..
Thanks,
gckajadoo.

My case as weird as yours..

I sent my AP to TSC also and it was approved. Based on the instructions and the consensus of this thread mine should have been sent to NSC. Go figure!

1) I applied first time to TSC for EAD and AP. Got approvals..
2) I applied second time to TSC for AP for my wife.
3) I applied second time for my self after one week.
4) My wife's case came back asking us to apply to the new address.
5) Thinking that my case would also be sent back, I applied for my self and my wife again to the new address .
6) My case was accepted by TSC.
7) My wife's case was accepted by NSC.
8) My case was accepted by NSC.

Net result, my case was accepted by NSC and TSC and I lost $300 for their stupidity.

thanks,
Sri

1) I applied first time to TSC for EAD and AP. Got approvals..
2) I applied second time to TSC for AP for my wife.
3) I applied second time for my self after one week.
4) My wife's case came back asking us to apply to the new address.
5) Thinking that my case would also be sent back, I applied for my self and my wife again to the new address .
6) My case was accepted by TSC.
7) My wife's case was accepted by NSC.
8) My case was accepted by NSC.

Net result, my case was accepted by NSC and TSC and I lost $300 for their stupidity.

thanks,
Sri

Did you call them and ask why your wife's was sent back but not yours? On second thoughts, it would be of no use. Just a waste of time.
But seriously, I would definitely send your details to the Ombudsman. They can add it the never ending list of issues/goof-ups/inconsistencies etc.

USCIS ought to be the most incompetent government agency in the entire world bar none. I wouldn't hire any of these folks for more than the minimum wage...minimum wage in India that is.

They double the filing fee and this is how they improve their service. What a shame.

There is one more that takes number one place in most incompetent government agency and it is very much in United States and its name is Department of Labor.
USCIS ought to be the most incompetent government agency in the entire world bar none. I wouldn't hire any of these folks for more than the minimum wage...minimum wage in India that is.

They double the filing fee and this is how they improve their service. What a shame.

Did you call them and ask why your wife's was sent back but not yours? On second thoughts, it would be of no use. Just a waste of time.
But seriously, I would definitely send your details to the Ombudsman. They can add it the never ending list of issues/goof-ups/inconsistencies etc.

I agree, they doubled the fee and degraded the service even more. Infact i donot know how many of you by now realize that the 1800-number USCIS customer service is a BIG BIG Waste of Tax Dollars. There is absolutely none or very very little help from1800-number USCIS customer service. I have no idea why those ppl sitting there and answering the phones wasting time and money. These customer service ppl have all the answer just to confuse you and or they dont have any visibility to the case we need help from them. I guess it is a way USCIS try to confuse us so that even for small things we end up paying big money to lawyers.
Now here is perfect example, I asked them about the address for filing I-765 since it was returned from TSC service center. Now we all know by now that it could be TSC or NSC as per the new requlations (based on location where you live). But I couldnot verify this information from the USCIS customer service. They gave me all kind of weired answers like read instructions page 7, talk to lawyer, read though the letter that USCIS sent to me etc etc.
Its so frustrating. Some Customer service ppl are really good also ...but they are very few. Its very very frustrating process.

Thanks,
gckajadoo

I agree, they doubled the fee and degraded the service even more. Infact i donot know how many of you by now realize that the 1800-number USCIS customer service is a BIG BIG Waste of Tax Dollars. There is absolutely none or very very little help from1800-number USCIS customer service. I have no idea why those ppl sitting there and answering the phones wasting time and money. These customer service ppl have all the answer just to confuse you and or they dont have any visibility to the case we need help from them. I guess it is a way USCIS try to confuse us so that even for small things we end up paying big money to lawyers.
Now here is perfect example, I asked them about the address for filing I-765 since it was returned from TSC service center. Now we all know by now that it could be TSC or NSC as per the new requlations (based on location where you live). But I couldnot verify this information from the USCIS customer service. They gave me all kind of weired answers like read instructions page 7, talk to lawyer, read though the letter that USCIS sent to me etc etc.
Its so frustrating. Some Customer service ppl are really good also ...but they are very few. Its very very frustrating process.

Thanks,
gckajadoo

They could replace the entire NSC phone support with a simple web based application- something similar to Infopass- that would let us open SRs; because that is essentially what the NSC people do, open SRs. It shouldn't cost them more than a couple of hundred thousand to build a system like that.

But then, why would USCIS worry about costs or efficiency as long as they can get billions of dollars by way of application fee. Wasted expenditure is not a big deal for the USCIS- not dissimilar to the current regime.

From Aug 29th, 2007, USCIS is enforcing bi-specializations for new applications based on geographic location where you live. Your I-485 may be pending at different location based on your sponsoring employer's location or your location when I-485 was originally filed. Transfers of I-485 between USCIS centres were based on original service center's jurisdiction.

Conclusion: You should (if paper) file your AP, EAP application to the service centres you belong to according to your location not I-485 filed or pending.

Confusion: If you file online, with c-9 category (AOS Pending), they ask to pick the service center where your I-485 pending (???), noit based on the address you enter. Any ideas, why this descrepency???

Note: THIS IS NOT A LEGAL ADVICE.