Weird case status notices about I-140.

nysb

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

A few days ago, several emails were received from USCIS regarding the approval of my wife's I-140, which is EB1-based. Today, several more emails with the following content:

On October 24, 2006, this approved or re-affirmed case was shipped to the Department of State for visa processing. If you have any additional questions, please contact the Department of State.

Does anybody know what this means? No I-485 was filed together with this I-140 since we filed 485's using my NIW 140 and still stuck in Name Check. Thanks a lot.

May be counsualr processing

My thought.....
May be your case is up for consular processing.

nysb said:
Hi,

A few days ago, several emails were received from USCIS regarding the approval of my wife's I-140, which is EB1-based. Today, several more emails with the following content:

On October 24, 2006, this approved or re-affirmed case was shipped to the Department of State for visa processing. If you have any additional questions, please contact the Department of State.

Does anybody know what this means? No I-485 was filed together with this I-140 since we filed 485's using my NIW 140 and still stuck in Name Check. Thanks a lot.

But isn't "consular processing" related to I-485 application? There is no 485 currently associated with this 140 yet.

I-485 not needed for consular processing

According to my knowledge you will not apply I-485(AOS) for consular processing. What was your answer to question Part4(1) in your I-140. If you checked the box with "Alien will apply for a visa abroad at the American Embassy or Consulate at:", then it is consular processing and your file will be sent to your home country.

nysb said:
But isn't "consular processing" related to I-485 application? There is no 485 currently associated with this 140 yet.

I don't know what was selected for that since this is my wife's I-140. I will check with her. Thanks for your info.

BTW, do you know how background check is handled for "consular processing"? Also, is it still possible to apply for adjustment of status even if the answer to part4(1) is "apply for a visa abroad"? Thanks a lot.

self_file said:
According to my knowledge you will not apply I-485(AOS) for consular processing. What was your answer to question Part4(1) in your I-140. If you checked the box with "Alien will apply for a visa abroad at the American Embassy or Consulate at:", then it is consular processing and your file will be sent to your home country.

May be complicated....

All I know is that you have to get the police clearence from your native town for consular processing. Don't have much knowledge other than that.

I think it is easy to convert I-485 to consular rather than consular to I-485. Please check with your attorney or call INS to find out what it takes to change your case from consular to I-485. In the mean time, if I find something, I will let you know.
Good Luck!

nysb said:
I don't know what was selected for that since this is my wife's I-140. I will check with her. Thanks for your info.

BTW, do you know how background check is handled for "consular processing"? Also, is it still possible to apply for adjustment of status even if the answer to part4(1) is "apply for a visa abroad"? Thanks a lot.

take it back...

I just found out from one of the lawyers that changing from consular to I-485 happens immediately where as the other way around takes atleast a year.
sorry for the confusion in my earlier response.
nysb said:

Until yesterday I was seeing my I-140 as approved and now suddenly I see this message below when i check the status of my I-140 , I didnt apply for I-485 at all, Can someone please help me what does that mean? Appriciate help.

"On November 14, 2006, this approved or re-affirmed case was shipped to the Department of State for visa processing. If you have any additional questions, please contact the Department of State. "