Wedding in India-urgent reply pls

chawls

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
I am going to marry with USC in India. Could somebody let me know if there is any concern when marriage is done in India rather than in US for spouse greencard perspective.

Many Thanks

I did the same, so far I am awaiting our AOS interview, but, there are no issues, make sure you have your marriage-certificate when you file your I-485.

waitingforAOS11 said:
I did the same, so far I am awaiting our AOS interview, but, there are no issues, make sure you have your marriage-certificate when you file your I-485.

Thanks for your reply. I would bring marriage certificate from India. Would it be accepted while submitting immigration application or do I need to seek marriage certificate out in US also.

Please reply asap.

Thanks

I had only submitted the one we had gotten from Mumbai, it was ok as long as it is translated in ENGLISH. My case was filed in mar 2002 and they have not sent any queries on that so far, though, we are still waiting for our interview. This is in Atlanta. i don't think you will have any issues.

waitingforAOS11 said:
I had only submitted the one we had gotten from Mumbai, it was ok as long as it is translated in ENGLISH. My case was filed in mar 2002 and they have not sent any queries on that so far, though, we are still waiting for our interview. This is in Atlanta. i don't think you will have any issues.

thanks again for your reply. We would be staying in VA after marriage. I have a another question. Do we need to submit our papers to local district office or National service center. I hope you would clarify it.

Did you hire lawyer too? What do you say?

Thanks

Yes, i had a lawyer send my paperwork, Rakesh Mehrotra for VA, but, my honest advice is do it yourself. You have to file it to your local office. You can do the whole thing on your own. Don't worry. My case was slight different as my wife was a citizen born here, but stayed in India for a couple of years. Your best way world be to to go to Barnes & +Nobles and see the format of the forms. You have to file I130, I 485 and I765. Feel free to contact me if any help needed. But, you can do this on your own. You have to file at your local office. Good luck.

waitingforAOS11 said:
Yes, i had a lawyer send my paperwork, Rakesh Mehrotra for VA, but, my honest advice is do it yourself. You have to file it to your local office. You can do the whole thing on your own. Don't worry. My case was slight different as my wife was a citizen born here, but stayed in India for a couple of years. Your best way world be to to go to Barnes & +Nobles and see the format of the forms. You have to file I130, I 485 and I765. Feel free to contact me if any help needed. But, you can do this on your own. You have to file at your local office. Good luck.

Thanks for great help..Could you please give me your contact email id and number so that I can reach to you.

Please reply asap. Thanks

I am in the same boat too as u guys. I am on H1b and I will be marrying a USC in nov in India. Should i register the wedding in India as well as here we get back to the US? Also is there any reason to reveal the change in marital status at the Port of entry on return to the US? Thanks for the inputs !

Harry

No, you really do not need to register the marriage here, I was ok with my Indian marriage certificate. They did not even ask for it during my interview here, I guess, because my case had been with them for 2.5 years and I was married for 2.8 years. I got married in India and my wife, even though, being a US citizen was residing in India for 20 years.

Thankx!! Thats a relief !! Did u return from india together as a couple or did u re-enter with ur individual status ?? also could u gimme an approximate timeline between startin from catch (the marriage) to the actual green card (temporary gc i would assume) Could I contact u on these details ??

Thank u very much !!

Harish

I just got my stamp for my GC last tuesday. My case was filed in mar 2002. Atlanta is the slowest and we got our case cleared just last tuesday. Approx. time line is 2.8 months.

Sure you can contact me :)

Also, we came back seperate. i entered on my H1 and my wifey followed later. No issues at the port of entry as long as your H1 is valid.

Applying for AOS by myself

waitingforAOS11:
Thanks for sharing valuable information on this board. I would appreciate if you could also send me your contact email address, I am right now preparing to apply for my AOS, and I want to apply it myself. I have noted the documents required for the process, but still wanted to make sure if I am not overlooking anything, so I would highly appreciate if you could kindly PM me your contact email. Also, my email address is vishak23@yahoo.com, if you would like to email me that would also be great. Thanks.