We tried everything.....

JJBBKK

Registered Users (C)
My sister had her I-130 approved and then submitted I-485 and the Received date is 01/2002. So, they moved and filled out the AR-11 to change the address and apparently those idiots didnt actually changet the address in the system and the interview letter was sent to old address and my sister never got it. So its been now almost over 3 years and she cannot find out anything about her case. The officer said that the case has been reactivated and all she can do is come back every month and check to see if the interview was scheduled, they cannot even provide her with her Case # which i think is ridiculous. Does anyone have any suggestions on how can this be resolved because those "not human beings" that work in that office cannot do anything. I think I am going to lose it next time i go there (sorry all)

Address change

The AR-11 does not actually change the address for any outstanding petitions. It only fulfills the alien's legal requirement to report all address changes to the government. To change the address on the petition itself it is necessary to send a letter to the office that has the petition asking them to transfer the petition to the local office with jurisidiction, and/ or to note the address change on the case and redirect all mail. Sadly, it is a little late for this in your sister's case. It may take several visits to the INS office to sort this out. I would:
A) stay calm even if the agents you speak to are unhelpful, many of them truly don't care and will only react badly to anger.
B) Keep going back until you get a good answer or a resolution.
C) Maybe contact her congressman for help.
D) Investigate whether the 485 can be cancelled and another one filed. I think this is what you will have to do.

Thanks. The letter to change the address was actually sent indeed and she called the INS to have one of the agents change the address. I guess we just have to wait and i dont think that filing another 485 is a good idea since it will take longer but thanks for suggestion.