Was Issued A License -- But Never Received Card

yasyas

Registered Users (C)
My situation:
1) iilegal -- expired passport, expired I-94 .. social security received when legal
2) received an i797 under mother's name
3) applied for a driver's license
4) approved -- received a permit
5) passed permit test -- received temp license for 60 days till card receives in the mail
6) has been about 50 days til I received my license card -- not expecting to receive

Has this happened to anyone else? APPROVED -- but never received a card? My temp license is expiring soon --

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

an update

temp license expiring 08/18/06
received new temp license in the mail 08/10/06 until 09/09/06
went to the dmv 08/11/06 and renewed temp license valid til 11/08/06

--- DL application will expire in a year --- (i think)

tol taga nyc ka ba? bakit sabi mo sa post mo taga los angeles ka? kasi taga nyc ako tnt din ako men kailangan ko ng tulong para makakuha ng licensya.

Dl Renewal

My first time here and hope can share also the rest of my exp. to all our kabbayan. Anyone pls. comment or advise. My friend has a different case in renewing his son's DL. The family got their I-140 (immigrant petition for alien worker) petition approved in one application, his son was not included as he is already 23 of age and I-94 already expired.

They still tried to renew his son's DL and present only the I-140 letter of approval, luckily DMV processed and issue him a 60 days temp.permit.

Now, question is they took the number of I-140 for INS to review, what is the chance the son could received a DL card.

Second, is the family is now worried that doing that do you think it will jeopardise their application of I-485 in the future? Can anyone could tell me whether that this is considered a fraud and INS will take action against their son?

Anyone from there has a similar case? Thanking you in advance

no it is not considered fraud.. i don't think..

my temp license is expiring on nov 8th so i'm going to the dmv today.. i will update later

i will try to get a 2 year license..HOPEFULLY

just make sure to tell your friend's son to go to the dmv 1 week before it expires so they can AT LEAST issue another 60 day paper license and just keep doing that.. that's what i'm doing.. im not exactly sure when they're gonna be lik "okay you can't renew anymore"

but... i'm just praying!!

good luck.. and i will be back on the site to keep checking up.

=(

i went to the DMV today.. and they refused to reissue me a temp drivers license because my application expired already

and when i insisted on reissuing my legal presence documents, they rejected it because they don't accept 1797N's but only i797A ... EVEN THOUGH THEY ACCEPTED IT AT FIRST!

i don't know WHAT TO DO!! my license will expire in 7 days.

thanks for your time yas, sad to hear your case, but have you considered going to other dmv, i dont know where's your location, but i knew some DMV which is much easier to deal with. anyway i pray for you and good luck!

yasyas said:
i went to the DMV today.. and they refused to reissue me a temp drivers license because my application expired already

and when i insisted on reissuing my legal presence documents, they rejected it because they don't accept 1797N's but only i797A ... EVEN THOUGH THEY ACCEPTED IT AT FIRST!

i don't know WHAT TO DO!! my license will expire in 7 days.

Hi yasyas,

I got your message. The only thing I can say is for you to try other DMVs. You and I were in the same situation before I got my DL. I also had an expired I-94 and I also got my SS when I was still legal, when applying for my license I used my petition from my mom, the I-797C. I came across some DMV people who told me they only accept I-797A (the one with an alien number on it) and so I showed them their brochure that says "Acceptable Legal Presence Documents" and it says I-797 on the list. Their brochure does not say that it has to be I-797A. I don't know about now, though, if they printed new ones that are more specific but probably not.
Anyway, most DMVs still didn't accept my I-797C but I had such a kind driving instructor who was willing to drive me anywhere to get my license.
We finally went to a DMV that was 45 minutes away and there I got my "interim paper license" and my card followed 2 weeks later. I have never had a problem renewing my license after that, they don't ask for anything anymore once I got my card. So just keep trying! If you live here in L.A. I would drive you around myself, but you live up north! Find someone who can take you to other DMV offices, I really hope you find a nice person in the DMV soon!

hi bella blues~ thank you for all your responses

an update**

i went to other dmvs and they allowed stamped me with a 90 day grace period. they also gave me a dl44 to apply for a new card since my application is already experience. my next plan is, with that, i will go to other dmvs and give my i797 so they can renew my application...

it is true, bella blues, it is up to the person... i went to 3 different dmvs and they both gave me a different excuse.. one dmv said my name wasnt on it, the second said it was too old.. the third said a mix of both.. and all said i needed an i94 attached to the bottom

so my question is this:
bella blues, if they used your i797 (the same one we have -- both our mother's name AND no A number or i797 attached.. what numbers did they punch in the computeR? the old i94 number? what else?

please get back to me. thank you so much. it is you that encouraged me to try other dmvs =)

yasyas said:
hi bella blues~ thank you for all your responses

an update**

i went to other dmvs and they allowed stamped me with a 90 day grace period. they also gave me a dl44 to apply for a new card since my application is already experience. my next plan is, with that, i will go to other dmvs and give my i797 so they can renew my application...

it is true, bella blues, it is up to the person... i went to 3 different dmvs and they both gave me a different excuse.. one dmv said my name wasnt on it, the second said it was too old.. the third said a mix of both.. and all said i needed an i94 attached to the bottom

so my question is this:
bella blues, if they used your i797 (the same one we have -- both our mother's name AND no A number or i797 attached.. what numbers did they punch in the computeR? the old i94 number? what else?

please get back to me. thank you so much. it is you that encouraged me to try other dmvs =)

Hi Yasyas,

I don't know what number they punched, they may have used my old I-94 since that's what I used to get my very first permit, but I'm not soo sure about that. I think the lady just photocopied my I-797C and then she typed something on her computer that I already gave them all of their requirements and then the Interim License was printed out. Once you get the paper license called "Interim Drivers License" that means the whole process is completed and that's like the signal to Sacramento to print out your card. So everything has to be completed at your local DMV office, it's just a matter of finding the right (the nice) one.

Just like I told you before, be nice and pleasant with the DMV person and he/she might be kind enough to accept your I-797. Best of luck to you, I know what you're going through because for me the entire process took a couple of years! I was ready to give up and I was soo jealous of my friends who had licenses and CA IDs. I had nothing to show whenever I got carded, I had to take my passport around with me, ugh!

Here is my actual DMV timeline, I hope this gives you a sense of hope that even if it takes a loooong time, it will happen for you eventually! Good luck
and best wishes to you and other applicants!!!

06-14-96 passed my first written exam and got my drivers permit! At this point my I-94 was still current and I had gotten an SS card.

06-14-97 Expired permit, didn't take the actual exam! :( At this point my I-94 has expired.

12-12-97 Passed my 2nd written exam and got my 2nd permit.

01-14-98 My mom petitioned me

04-18-98 Took the actual driving exam and passed! Received a paper license that says Temporary Driver License. Never received card.

10-13-98 paper Temporary Driver License issued again expires 01-10-99

01-20-99 Got the paper license stamped, it says it's extended/valid for 60 more days.

07-12-99 Went to Topanga Canyon DMV and finally received a paper license called Interim Driver License, it expires 09-09-99 but before that date, I received my card in the mail!

Between Jan. 1999 to July 1999 I went to several DMVs with nothing but my paper Temporary License and I-797 in hand. I waited in line with my driving instructor (who always accompanied me to these missions) and we both pleaded (nicely) my case. We finally went to the Topanga Canyon DMV where a nice lady finally said, "Aww, all right!" and printed me the interim driver license!

my dmv timeline

09-2005
-dmv rejected I797
-went to another dmv and accepted I797
-took permit test.. was issued a permit
-also applied for a CA ID -- never received card

04-2006
-passed driving test
-was issued a paper temp license expiring 08-2006

08-2006
-went to a dmv and was issued an extention expiring 11-2006
-also received a paper license in the mail expiring 10-2006

11-2006
-went to 2 dmvs to get another extention -- did not receive one because application is already VOIDED as of 09-2006 (both dmvs questioned why someone initially extended it passed 09-2006 to 11-2006)
-went to another dmv and extended my permit with a stamp, "valid for 90 days as of NOV 02 2006"

***it is def. true, some dmvs are nicer than others.

yasyas said:
09-2005
-dmv rejected I797
-went to another dmv and accepted I797
-took permit test.. was issued a permit
-also applied for a CA ID -- never received card

04-2006
-passed driving test
-was issued a paper temp license expiring 08-2006

08-2006
-went to a dmv and was issued an extention expiring 11-2006
-also received a paper license in the mail expiring 10-2006

11-2006
-went to 2 dmvs to get another extention -- did not receive one because application is already VOIDED as of 09-2006 (both dmvs questioned why someone initially extended it passed 09-2006 to 11-2006)
-went to another dmv and extended my permit with a stamp, "valid for 90 days as of NOV 02 2006"

***it is def. true, some dmvs are nicer than others.

Hi Yasyas,

That's great you also posted your timeline! So right now you have until Feb. 2, 2007 to find a DMV that will accept your I-797 and give you your Interim Driver License. I hope that's enough time for you to find the right DMV office. Don't worry about "trying too much" because that's how you will get your license. Remember that ALL DMV offices (especially in big cities) get hundreds of people every single day, they understand that we all want to get our licenses/state IDs. They receive applications, renewals, etc. by the hundreds on a daily basis, so they will not take/choose one person and single him/her out and say, "Hey, this one is applying daily/weekly/twice a week!" They just don't have the time to do that and are probably not even getting paid enough to be that scrutinous.

Yes, thats true, I also noticed that city dmvs are more strict and MEAN.. while dmvs far outside the city are more lenient and quite nice. =) i will keep trying.. thank you for all your help!!