Walk-in FP or reschedule?

dhlunar

Registered Users (C)
My wife received her FP appointment notice in the mail on Saturday. When I told her that she was to report to the Glenmont (Wheaton) ASC at 12 NOON on 2/1, she said, "What do these people expect, I can't do it then I have to go to work." I told her that she could try going earlier in the day to see if they would accept her. However, she seemed interested in rescheduling, so I told her to read the notice to reschedule.

Personally, knowing the way that USCIS works it would really screw things up if she attempted to reschedule the appointment even according to their directions. I told her that it might be best to go in earlier that day to see if they would accept her before noon.

This time around it is for her I-751. When she went for her I-485 (two years ago on the same day of the week and time) she arrived 40 minutes early and there was no one waiting so they processed her when she walked in. Besides the I-485 processing two years ago this will be her third visit to ASC (first time was when she filled a I-765 for OPT and did it online, she was referred to ASC to get her photo taken, and she complained that no one there knew why she was referred this time and not the prior time she applied for OPT, so the officers at ASC where going to call VT to find out why and she didn't want them to because she was afraid they would deny her case).

So base on people experience about Glenmont ASC will they accept her earlier then the appointment date?

It shouldn't be a problem. She can also try a different day earlier than the date they specified.

My wife received her FP appointment notice in the mail on Saturday. When I told her that she was to report to the Glenmont (Wheaton) ASC at 12 NOON on 2/1, she said, "What do these people expect, I can't do it then I have to go to work." I told her that she could try going earlier in the day to see if they would accept her. However, she seemed interested in rescheduling, so I told her to read the notice to reschedule.

Alas that is how USCIS works. You have to schedule around them. My advice would be to try to do an early walk in FP if they will allow it. People on the board have had 50/50 success rate on that. When I was getting my papers processed for Citizenship, they also scheduled it in the middle of the day. To make it worse, I had to take a whole day off, drive 2.5 hours down to another city, do the FP which took a whole 5 mins and drive back up 2.5 hours for the whole exercise.

Good luck for your wife though...... :D

Early Walk-in to get the biometrics done will not be a problem at all. That would be the best way instead of rescheduling the whole process. If the ASC has less number of cases to handle for that day on which your wife plans to do a walk -in, she will be lucky enough to get her biometrics done.

First off, you are talking about your wife as if she is a complete stranger to you. If you can't read her motives or thinking, we certainly can't, and hopefully you don't trigger an interview and come across this way in person.

As for your question about early walk-in, that is completely up to whoever is working at the fingerprinting site in question and you and your wife will have to decide whether to try it based on how inconvenient it is. We did the FP in Manhattan early two years ago for I-485 with no problems. Later others reported having problems doing it early at Manhattan. We did the FP for I-751 in Syracuse on time, and another family was there for FP that had come early, with their entire family driving for hours, and were told in no uncertain terms that they could not be seen without an appointment for that day.

Despite being a tiny field office with little going on and two federal police idling about to protect this tiny federal bureaucratic enclave in a tiny mall office from terrorism and keeping family members without appointments outside (no waiting in the many empty seats inside without a personal appointment either), they had to make the trek again on their appointed day.

So, definitely, Your Mileage May Vary. All that is certain is that you will be seen on the designated day; if you go early it is the whim of the bureaucrats on duty; there is no uniform policy even at the same location.

Mileage is not the issue. The location is about 5 miles away from us. The issue is if she has to go at Noon then she would have to take the entire day off from work because she works in downtown DC so it would not be convince to leave work for part of the day. I advised her to go first thing in the morning on the day that she is scheduled and if they accept her at that time then just go to work late.