Waiting for TD extension for almost 2 months

LuciDreamer

Registered Users (C)
I applied for renewing my wife's TD status back in March. The receipt notice date says March 19, but no answer has been received from CIS yet. And it's almost 2 months already.
Last year it took less than a month to get the approval. Why is taking so long this time?
I think that they changed the rules for those who had been J1 exchange visitors before and try to check more carefully on them?
My wife entered the US as a J1 valid for 4 months but she was not a subject for 2-year residency requirements. Should it raise a flag or be a reason for denial of her extension?
Anyone with the similar experiences?

keep waiting, when i was looking to renew via mail in march the TD wait time was about 6 months, 3 month wait time for TN.

I know as of this week they are working on TN's that were applied for on Feb 16, so TD wait times are longer than TN

1 month for I-539 was extremely fast, so you were 'spoiled' last year. These usually take at least 3 months.

As you surely know, the USCIS website shows processing times for each typ[e of application and for each service center.

I'm quite sure if you look at these you will see that they are not processing march I-539s at this time, but I could be wrong (not really).

Thanks, folks. I will just hold my breath and keep waiting....

These CIS processing is unpredictable, one day they approve you in a flash, next time it takes forever, third time they put you on a plane with a one-way ticket. I wonder how many lives and families did they destroy already?

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason why I got my wife's TD status faster last year was probably because I filed her I-539 application at the same time with my I-129. My TN needed to be renewed back then.

This time I applied for my wife's TD renewal by itself, based on my current TN status which was valid until November.

I guess TN applications and TD ones filed at the same time are processed faster than TD applications sent separately.

still no answer:(

4 months and still no answer regarding the TD renewal for my wife that was mailed in March... can't understand why it's taking so long.

My employer filed an H-1B on the last moment and I was accepted in the lottery but still no answer on the H-1B and my wife's H4. The receipts are dated April 14. Lots of people have already been approved as I visit the forums.

Can these two concurrent applications for my wife(TD and H4) cause the current delay in our case?

Also, I ordered a marriage certificate from Florida Vital Records and attached a copy of it to my wife's TD and H4 applications as a proof of our marriage. When making a copy of that document a word "VOID" appears all over the paper. Could this cause any trouble when an officer reviews the application? They should probably know that birth, death and marriage certificates are now printed on a security paper and petitioners are not required to send original documents to USCIS. But this "VOID" thing still bothers me a lot now, expecially when there is such a delay.

I really don't know what to think. Any thoughts??

As as been often saidI-539s are notoriously slow in processing.

i don't think either the license copy or the concurrent filing of TD and H4 are a concern.

Thank you for responses, Nelsona.

I don't believe too that submitting a photocopy of a valid marriage vital records certificate can be an offense. After all, I also submitted a FL marriage license that would be well enough to prove our marriage. And sending a copy of another evidence document was made in good faith and if they need, I will send the original. Maybe sometimes too much paperwork can raise unnecessary questions.

Quite frankly, once you've submitted the TD paperwork, I wouldn't evem think about it anymore. She has the receipt and that is just as good.

You're in the US and her status is TD. If she leaves US, she will get a TD at the border in 2 minutes.