Waiting for Receipt in Dallas for my wife's adjustment of status after my Citizenship

update on AP

I called BCIS 800 number on my wife's AP. The person was very nice. He said the standard waiting time for AP was 3 months. My wife's was over 5 months. He told me I had two options (1) goto local Dallas office and may get AP on the spot (2) he could file an inquiry and takes 30 days. I chose (1). This morning we got there at 6:30 and waited for 2 hours in the line. Guess what? The lady at the gate refused to give us a number and told us that just wait for AP. So we even did not get into the building. How disappointing.

So we chose choice two now. Wish me luck.

zeeshan,

so looks like you got finger-printing in just 3-4 months and AP in 2-3 months. did u apply on your own or did u go through a lawyer.
please confirm- u r a citizen and u were sponsering ur wife from dallas local off, correct?

indousa,

I think it took almost 2 years to get finger-printing notice from dallas local office??? correct? is it that processig for spouse is faster compared to that for parents?? But I thot that citizens sponsering their parents was supposed to be as fast too!!

guys,

I called the 800# and they say the processing time for 485 at dallas local office is 15 mths which if true is a good news!

MV,
No the FP took19 mos. At that time, the duration for 485 approval was 20 mos. If the 485 clearance is within 15 mos now, then you guys should've your FP within 12 mos of applying.

i know a lady here. her husband is USC. she applied in March 02 and interviewed in Sept 03. It took 1.5 year. I think zeeshan is very lucky. I even could not get into the BCIS building. 1.5 yr or 18 months is typical time for Dallas. And timeline offered by 800 number is accurate. I think 800 is very well managed.

Got AP

Hi, my wife got AP today. Now I have some questions to ask. Please help me out. Thanks.

1) my wife came to US on B2. I-94 expired on May 15th. I-485 receipt date is April 30th. Her medical exam was asked by BCIS two months later in June. Do you think she ever had been out of status here in US?

2) Can she leave US on AP for 2 months?

3) when she leaves, should she give her B2 I-94 to airline or not?

Thanks.

Coke,
Since she was sponsored for her adj of status prior to the expiry of her B2 I94, she was never out of status. And yes, she will've to surrender her B2 I94 when leaving the US. When returning to the US, she should make sure that she enters on AP (not B2). She will be given another I94 which would state that she is on AP undergoing AOS.

THanks IndoUSA. You are always so helpful.

I decide to let her keep B2I-94 if possible. It is the only proof that her status is legal.

She will leave in 2 weeks and spend 2 months outside. What is the chance that she is called for Finger Print? If so, could she delay that?

I found that writing a letter to BCIS is very effective. I think she got her AP because I wrote a letter to BCIS 2 weeks ago. I could see BCIS hurried AP up. You could try to write a nice letter to BCIS for your parents.

Does anyone know if its possible to reschedule finger-printing in ones home country if the applicants have gone on AP and finger printing calls comes?? Or is it better to reschedule it here in US at a later time?? (FP call not yet for my parents but just wondering)
Indousa, nay experience in this matter since ur parents have been out twice on AP??

MV,
Yes, it did happen to my parents....the FP notice came when they were outside the US.....plus, the notice provided no option to reschedule the FP appt. The notice also had a sentence to the effect that if you are a no show for FP, your application may be considered abandoned & the GC process terminated. I called the INS 800# to inquire if the FP appt. can be rescheduled. They opined that since their was no option to change the FP date in the notice, it probably cannot be changed. Therefore, rather than fight it, I thought it safer to call my parents to the US at short notice for keeping the FP appt. The surprising thing is that the FP went smoothly (no waiting period). My recommendation is to do the FP as scheduled. There is no point in you causing a delay in the GC process.....you never know when the INS will reschedule the FP.

mv & indousa: would you please post your timeline of your FP? and duration between FP notice and actual FP date? Thanks.

coke,
we haven't got FP notice yet but since need to go out on AP, hence better to keep all info in advance.

indousa,
how long was ur FP notice valid for - e.g. 3 weeks within which u need to get FP done?

thx for all info!

indousa & coke,
can u post ur time line..
485 app date (AD)?
Receipt/Receive Date (RD)?
AP - AD/RD? (twice for indousa)
FP? (if applicable)

FYI - mine:
485 AD: Jan '03
RD: Feb'03
AP - AD: July'03

thx

RD - 01/02
AP 1st - 05/02 (4 mos)
AP 2nd - 05/03 (4 mos)
FP - 08/03
GC interview - 09/03
GC Stamp - During the interview

MV, SV, Coke et al who are waiting for their GC at Dallas - The people at the Dallas office are efficient. My parents had a great interview - the interviewer was courteous, respectful, and friendly. We all are very lucky that our apps. are getting processed at the Dallas District Office. Just be patient - in fact, yours should be done a lot faster than mine because the I485 timelines for the Dallas Office have reduced considerably. The only thing to keep in mind is that the interview is not done in the same office.....but very close (on the opposite side of !-35) - about 2 miles from the District Office.

Good Luck!

indousa, congratulations. it seems FP is just 1 month ahead of interview in your case.

my wife:

Filing I-485, I-131: 4/03
Receipt: 06/03
submit Medical: 07/03
AP receive: 09/03

No FP yet. hope not too soon.

MV,

In reply to your message date Sept 19. Yes, I am a US Citizen and applied for my wife Adjustment of Status at INS Dallas office.
I didn't use a lawyer.

congrats indousa,
cool u got done with GC for ur parents!! so now that their passport is stamped (though plastic card may not have been issued yet), it should be safe to leave the country without further documentation, right?

coke thx for putting ur timeline

zeeshan thx for reply...can u also put ur timeline..

indousa...thx as always..hope we will still find u on this msg board!!