Waiting Asylum decision

Oh no, is there any chance of getting approval if my testimony was good ?

Yes there would be always possibilities of success and approvals in asylum. The outcome is never known in asylum even if you have a lawyer and a pile of evidence. Just be optimistic since your testimony was good.

I think a lawyer is only necessary for those who don't know how to go about the process and collection of documents. I know lots of people who got approved without using any lawyer. I think a lawyer is only super important if the case is referred to an immigration court.

Everything is possible. However, a lawyer is important just to give the case a legal representation even no effort from his side is done. I mean everybody RECOMMENDS hiring a lawyer just to add extra points into your case strength.

I think a lawyer is only necessary for those who don't know how to go about the process and collection of documents. I know lots of people who got approved without using any lawyer. I think a lawyer is only super important if the case is referred to an immigration court.
Based on my experience, I would say that a lawyer is always required! I don't think that the average person can put together a case in the format that asylum officers expect. After living in the US for 6 years, I had graduated with a top BA degree from a top school, I did research, put together my case (a slum dunk case)....I lost and I was referred to court. Used pro bono lawyers, kids from uchicago, who helped me with one thing: case documentation presentation/formatting. Because of that help, it was approved. If I had had those lawyers at the beginning......

Based on my experience, I would say that a lawyer is always required! I don't think that the average person can put together a case in the format that asylum officers expect. After living in the US for 6 years, I had graduated with a top BA degree from a top school, I did research, put together my case (a slum dunk case)....I lost and I was referred to court. Used pro bono lawyers, kids from uchicago, who helped me with one thing: case documentation presentation/formatting. Because of that help, it was approved. If I had had those lawyers at the beginning......
Now there’s nothing I can do except wait for the decision and work on it! I feel my chance of Winning is pretty slim !

Last week I received a response to my email request about case status from Anaheim (Los Angeles Asylum Office) saying:

Our records indicate that your case is still pending mandatory checks at this time and we do not have an estimated processing timeline until they are completed. Several checks are completed by outside agencies, and the asylum office does not have the ability to control their response times. We are unable to issue a decision until these checks are fully completed.

Before that they were saying that the decision is still pending. I wonder if it's a kind of a sign or whatnot.

I think Adamd received same response before he got his approval. Does anyone else received this kind of reply from Asylum office? If yes then what was the outcome of the case?

can one change a lawyer on one's case if the relationship is not cordial again especially when the lawyer is being difficult ? is it advisable to do so at any stage of the process of the application pls ?

Last week I received a response to my email request about case status from Anaheim (Los Angeles Asylum Office) saying:

Our records indicate that your case is still pending mandatory checks at this time and we do not have an estimated processing timeline until they are completed. Several checks are completed by outside agencies, and the asylum office does not have the ability to control their response times. We are unable to issue a decision until these checks are fully completed.

Before that they were saying that the decision is still pending. I wonder if it's a kind of a sign or whatnot.

I think Adamd received same response before he got his approval. Does anyone else received this kind of reply from Asylum office? If yes then what was the outcome of the case?

I have not seen such a thing yet. I think it is a good sign though. When they require background checks or other types of checks after the interview, it would indicate they want to approve you unless a negative check response was negative and against you. I wish all the best to you

Guys I wonder if you have any clue about this issue. I am maintaining status and waiting for the decision to be made. If the decision was final denial, could I apply again after falling out of status ? In other words, is it possible to submit the same case and be forwarded to the court instead of the asylum office ?

can one change a lawyer on one's case if the relationship is not cordial again especially when the lawyer is being difficult ? is it advisable to do so at any stage of the process of the application pls ?
Yep, asylum cases are not criminal cases, so you can change lawyers as many times as you want. You and your new lawyer just need to submit the form to the clerk of court indicating the change (there is a special form for that...lawyer of record something.) Just make sure to get the new lawyer up to speed with your case, etc. I changed lawyers a couple of times because I was battling the case for 16+ months...my original lawyer changed jobs, the next one lost his job...the case was finished by a pair of woman lawyers. Each time there was a change, I had to update them, etc.

Guys I wonder if you have any clue about this issue. I am maintaining status and waiting for the decision to be made. If the decision was final denial, could I apply again after falling out of status ? In other words, is it possible to submit the same case and be forwarded to the court instead of the asylum office ?
You can apply, that is correct. I would say that you should check to see why the case is being denied., try to improve it on your second attempt. With the experience you have with the first try, to win it affirmatively should be your target. Avoiding the court should be priority, because delays there could see your case go on for 43+ months. Of course, when they deny your case and you are out of status, they will refer you to the court....and you will be in removal proceedings. .

Yep, asylum cases are not criminal cases, so you can change lawyers as many times as you want. You and your new lawyer just need to submit the form to the clerk of court indicating the change (there is a special form for that...lawyer of record something.) Just make sure to get the new lawyer up to speed with your case, etc. I changed lawyers a couple of times because I was battling the case for 16+ months...my original lawyer changed jobs, the next one lost his job...the case was finished by a pair of woman lawyers. Each time there was a change, I had to update them, etc.

Thank you. One more thing, can I file my EAD myself as I shop for another lawyer pls? any implication(s) pls?

Hi Ollymichael81,
It is understandably human that you are "beginning to feel its getting too long" to receive a decision regarding your interview. Count your blessings, you are on track, at least you are past the interview hurdle to which I understand some people are still waiting 800++ days to be scheduled for an interview. Oblivious to the backlog, you are most likely poised to receive a response of some sort sooner than later. In the meantime if necessary, apply for the Employment Authorization Document. Stay calm and hold on to your optimism, this shall pass my friend.
Thanks for your response. I am just bothered because i havent seen any recent applicants ( i.e applicants after the new FIFO rule) waiting dis long. Im just wondering what could av bin the likely reason

Hi! I have a question I had my interview a month ago and got denied after I picked up my decision in Asylum office. Because I'm on statues I got NOID 2 weeks after so I prepared a detailed statement with the rebuttal. I was wondering if there is a timeline for the NOID decision? is it like years to get the final decision (dropping in backlog)or it usually takes less than a year? Thank you so much!

and also my clock is running as it should be but it says the decision is picked up since the day I picked up my decision in asylum office.

my case was religious and I'm from iran

What was the reason of deny?

lack of detailed statements and evidence. I made a strong detailed statement with 30 pages of evidence from friends, my church and someone who her husband had arrested in my country for the same religious conversions. I hope it's enough this time for getting approved. I'm really stressed out my case will fall through the backlog and won't hear anything for years that's why I was wondering if someone here had the same situation as me.

ps: I didn't have any of these new submissions fist time for my interview so I'm praying this time god helps me.

Last edited:
lack of detailed statements and evidence. I made a strong detailed statement with 30 pages of evidence from friends, my church and someone who her husband had arrested in my country for the same religious conversions. I hope it's enough this time for getting approved. I'm really stressed out my case will fall through the backlog and won't hear anything for years that's why I was wondering if someone here had the same situation as me.

ps: I didn't have any of these new submissions fist time for my interview so I'm prying this time god helps me.
I hope everything goes well.
Are you a girl or boy?

I know the situation is harder in iran when you are a female.