Waiting Asylum decision

Congratulations, yes your case is approved and you should receive the EAD A05 within a week or so. You are lucky not to have to wait like some of us.
Happy for you and good luck with the next steps.

Hi karri

Good news, you were right, just got the approval in the mail today.God bless you.

Hi karri

Good news, you were right, just got the approval in the mail today.God bless you.
Happy for you!!! I just got my EAD renewed, I was hoping that the application to renew the EAD will bring my case to their attention but they just approved the EAD renew. Seems like it will still take awhile before they make a deceission on my case. a year from now you will be applying for your GC, good luck with that.

Happy for you!!! I just got my EAD renewed, I was hoping that the application to renew the EAD will bring my case to their attention but they just approved the EAD renew. Seems like it will still take awhile before they make a deceission on my case. a year from now you will be applying for your GC, good luck with that.

Thanks karri and congrats too on the EAD and praying for the best too for you.it seems though that I have finished one task and another one is here.I have never applied for SS card, can anyone pls advise me on the next step.Do i just turn up at the local SS office with the i-94 and passport and apply, then how can I make it move faster and get the best result, thanks in advance.

Thanks karri and congrats too on the EAD and praying for the best too for you.it seems though that I have finished one task and another one is here.I have never applied for SS card, can anyone pls advise me on the next step.Do i just turn up at the local SS office with the i-94 and passport and apply, then how can I make it move faster and get the best result, thanks in advance.
Yeah just take your I-94 or EAD A05 or both and picture ID and go to a local SS Office, there it takes just few minutes, then they will send it to you in a week or 10 days, it doesn't take long at all. Same thing with the Driver licence if you still don't have, if you already have a driver licence you don't need to take your passport to the SS office, just take your driver licence. Good luck with the SS # and don't worry SS # is the easiest to get and there is no hazle or delay.

Yeah just take your I-94 or EAD A05 or both and picture ID and go to a local SS Office, there it takes just few minutes, then they will send it to you in a week or 10 days, it doesn't take long at all. Same thing with the Driver licence if you still don't have, if you already have a driver licence you don't need to take your passport to the SS office, just take your driver licence. Good luck with the SS # and don't worry SS # is the easiest to get and there is no hazle or delay.

Again Karri, thanks so much, you are a true icon of this forum.

Thank you Karri2008, you have been so helpful on these forums, I am on the same boat of yours I thought my application for EAD might draw AO attention to my pending case but seems it does not. So SS# is an easy part? I will take my EAD C08 and my passport is that enough? Also how o answer the citizenship question on SS# application form? Legal Alien allowed to work? my visa expired 6 months ago, however i applied for Asylum before that and my case is pending with AO, What is my status now? Pending Asylum (AS)?

Thank you Karri2008, you have been so helpful on these forums, I am on the same boat of yours I thought my application for EAD might draw AO attention to my pending case but seems it does not. So SS# is an easy part? I will take my EAD C08 and my passport is that enough? Also how o answer the citizenship question on SS# application form? Legal Alien allowed to work? my visa expired 6 months ago, however i applied for Asylum before that and my case is pending with AO, What is my status now? Pending Asylum (AS)?

nice to meet you hear again danti,well i tried to apply for SSN some time ago but at that time i did not have an EAD card or job offer since am on f-1 status ,but i just went there to try and apply for one even though i knew i was going to be sent away ,i just tried to be kidding with them ,so for completing your application ,your citizenship is that of your country since you are not a US citizen .For legal allien ,you need to put yes because if you have EAD card then you are legal to work .For expired visa ,i think it is an issue but dont be stuck on that,just write down the date they are asking and it seems to me that they are not even asking that but show them your EAD card before showing them your passport if they ask for it.Your status is difficult to define because been asylum applicant is not a status but a name but if you are on another status like f-1 or any other then i will advice you to use that ,because in my case i am on f-1 status but i can also call myself an asylum applicant .it is dificult to define it .But dont worry ,if you show them your EAD card they will bring your file up to their system and will understand every detail .Good luck

To my understanding as long as your asylum case is pending you remain a legal alien despite your immigration status, look at the letter of confirmation of receipt of 1-589 from USCIS it clearly says that you can produce that letter as proof of permission to remain here.More so the EAD obviously allows you to work, so in combination yes you are a legal alien allowed to work.But I must reiterate that thats just my layman's view.

Thanks danti for your kind words. Your situation is similar to mine. F1 and asylum pending case are totally two separate deifferent stats. when applying for SS your stats is pending asylum and that is how you received the EAD. When I went there I didn't have to take my passport becasue I have a driver licence and that did it for me. In your case seems like your passport is your only picture ID. Yes you are legal alien allowed to work with your EAD. I don't remember that much of the application form but it is pretty straight forward. You can leave blank the questions you are not certain about until you meet with the person at the window to turn in your application and they will help you. As soon as you show them your EAD under C08 category they already know it will tell you what you should write down. As I said earlier there is nothing to worry about at SS office since you already received your EAD. They will issue you a restricted SS #. and by the time your case gets approved you will have to go back to them and show them your new EAD under A05 and they will send you a new SS # carrying the same number but unrestricted. Good luck to you

Thanks danti for your kind words. Your situation is similar to mine. F1 and asylum pending case are totally two separate deifferent stats. when applying for SS your stats is pending asylum and that is how you received the EAD. When I went there I didn't have to take my passport becasue I have a driver licence and that did it for me. In your case seems like your passport is your only picture ID. Yes you are legal alien allowed to work with your EAD. I don't remember that much of the application form but it is pretty straight forward. You can leave blank the questions you are not certain about until you meet with the person at the window to turn in your application and they will help you. As soon as you show them your EAD under C08 category they already know it will tell you what you should write down. As I said earlier there is nothing to worry about at SS office since you already received your EAD. They will issue you a restricted SS #. and by the time your case gets approved you will have to go back to them and show them your new EAD under A05 and they will send you a new SS # carrying the same number but unrestricted. Good luck to you

So i have a question,i am on f-1 status now and i have just been offered work at school and at the same time my EAD card was approved based on pending asylum ,so my question is that would it be good if i apply for SSN with my school documents so the Number is not restricted or should i apply with EAD card which will make it to be restricted.Which way will give me an unrestricted Number or would both of them give me the same number

So i have a question,i am on f-1 status now and i have just been offered work at school and at the same time my EAD card was approved based on pending asylum ,so my question is that would it be good if i apply for SSN with my school documents so the Number is not restricted or should i apply with EAD card which will make it to be restricted.Which way will give me an unrestricted Number or would both of them give me the same number

Both ways you will be issued a restricted social security card. The only way to obtain unrestricted SSN is after final asylum approval.

Thank you pepsico, wonderkid and karri2008 for the advice, Lets keep the contact here, by sharing our experience here we help ourselves by helping each other also our efforts will help the others whom will walk on our shoes one day on this rough long road.

Today I went to SS# office from the door they asked me: "What is your stats?" and I kept answering "Pending Asylum, Asylum Applicant" they accepted that. But when I went to the Window where the officer is, she asked me about my passport but I gave her the EAD card C08 1st then the passport Second "Notice they want a VALID passport" I do not know what you can do if your passport is expired, obviously I assume you can not renew it in your COP embassy here because of your safety measures, anyhow mine is still valid. The officer checked the EAD and the passport then printed to me a paper with my name and info, she asked me to check the spelling of my name which I did and then she gave me a receipt saying that my SS# will be mailed to me within 14 days but I expect it within week I hope.

P.S.: When the officer at SS# office gives you a printed paper containing your name and your info read that paper carefully, any mistake here will be a mistake on your SS card or your file records. For example just now while I am checking my receipt i discovered the officer had misspelled my street address! Tomorrow I must go back to their office again because I do not want my 1st SS card to be lost or delivered to the wrong address!

Last edited by a moderator:

Pepsico to my understanding now you already have EAD card based on your Asylum pending case, so you have the right to get SS# through this EAD. If your school offered you a job they need to get you NEW EAD restrict your work authorization only to them (as your employer) and when you get it you need to apply for restricted SS# serve this purpose only. Why you do this to yourself after you waited so long to get your own EAD? Simply take your EAD already mailed to you to SS Office and get your SS# then go back to your school and accept the same job they offered you but under your own EAD and SS#

Thank you pepsico, wonderkid and karri2008 for the advice, Lets keep the contact here, by sharing our experience here we help ourselves by helping each other also our efforts will help the others whom will walk on our shoes one day on this rough long road.

Today I went to SS# office from the door they asked me: "What is your stats?" and I kept answering "Pending Asylum, Asylum Applicant" they accepted that. But when I went to the Window where the officer is, she asked me about my passport but I gave her the EAD card C08 1st then the passport Second "Notice they want a VALID passport" I do not know what you can do if your passport is expired, obviously I assume you can not renew it in your COP embassy here because of your safety measures, anyhow mine is still valid. The officer checked the EAD and the passport then printed to me a paper with my name and info, she asked me to check the spelling of my name which I did and then she gave me a receipt saying that my SS# will be mailed to me within 14 days but I expect it within week I hope.

P.S.: When the officer at SS# office gives you a printed paper containing your name and your info read that paper carefully, any mistake here will be a mistake on your SS card or your file records. For example just now while I am checking my receipt i discovered the officer had misspelled my street address! Tomorrow I must go back to their office again because I do not want my 1st SS card to be lost or delivered to the wrong address!

Yeah you right ,you need to go as soon as possible to the office to change that error .It is good you saw it early

Pepsico to my understanding now you already have EAD card based on your Asylum pending case, so you have the right to get SS# through this EAD. If your school offered you a job they need to get you NEW EAD restrict your work authorization only to them (as your employer) and when you get it you need to apply for restricted SS# serve this purpose only. Why you do this to yourself after you waited so long to get your own EAD? Simply take your EAD already mailed to you to SS Office and get your SS# then go back to your school and accept the same job they offered you but under your own EAD and SS#

You are right ,and thanks for the help.My EAD was approved but has not yet come and so yesterday i went and applied for SSN with the job offer documents and they gave me the same letter as you and told me the decision will be mailed in 2 weeks.Now i am a little bit freak out because now that i have an EAD card ,i know i can work off-campus but the problem now is that if i use my SSN ,will it cause me any problem since i obtained the numbe using my school offer instead of my EAD card.I somehow think i made a mistake while going to apply for SSN with my school offer instead of my EAD from pending asylum??What is your input on this

You are right ,and thanks for the help.My EAD was approved but has not yet come and so yesterday i went and applied for SSN with the job offer documents and they gave me the same letter as you and told me the decision will be mailed in 2 weeks.Now i am a little bit freak out because now that i have an EAD card ,i know i can work off-campus but the problem now is that if i use my SSN ,will it cause me any problem since i obtained the numbe using my school offer instead of my EAD card.I somehow think i made a mistake while going to apply for SSN with my school offer instead of my EAD from pending asylum??What is your input on this

A SS # is for life, no matter how you obtain it it wil be allways the same number for you. I don't know why the worry in your case. You have a SS # and an EAD and you can work wherever you want without any problem. It doesn't matter how you obtain a SS #, it is for taxing purpose. The EAD is what make it legal for you to work anywhere. If you still don't feel happy with it as it is you can go back to the SS office and update you information when you receive your EAD if they allow that, but personally I see no reason to do that at all, only when you get the asylum approved you can go there to get unrestricted ss #.

A SS # is for life, no matter how you obtain it it wil be allways the same number for you. I don't know why the worry in your case. You have a SS # and an EAD and you can work wherever you want without any problem. It doesn't matter how you obtain a SS #, it is for taxing purpose. The EAD is what make it legal for you to work anywhere. If you still don't feel happy with it as it is you can go back to the SS office and update you information when you receive your EAD if they allow that, but personally I see no reason to do that at all, only when you get the asylum approved you can go there to get unrestricted ss #.

thanks for the reply,i too was thinking about that.Well ,right now all I need to do is go for a job hunt off-campus.

Hi everyone

I have been waiting for my GC since december 2011 .I filed actually November 2011 and it is still on intial review status .I got an info pass and they told me my application sent to asylum unit again for review .Something like quality assurance .I am just very worried and I donot know what does it mean? should i worried about it ? Do i need a lawyer ? Is there any post desicion on already granted asylum ?!
please let me know if you know anything.
thank you
Mafina

Hi everyone

I have been waiting for my GC since december 2011 .I filed actually November 2011 and it is still on intial review status .I got an info pass and they told me my application sent to asylum unit again for review .Something like quality assurance .I am just very worried and I donot know what does it mean? should i worried about it ? Do i need a lawyer ? Is there any post desicion on already granted asylum ?!
please let me know if you know anything.
thank you
Mafina

Hey ,i dont think you need to worry about ,all you need is to wait and pray because there is nothing you can do until they make a decision.By the way there can be a post decision on granted asylum but i dont think you have to worry about if you know you application was alright and that you did not violate any law.But if they say quality assurance ,it can be that they are trying to make sure you respected the timeline or just to make sure you actually indeed was granted asylum ,remember that those giving the green card are not the same people giving asylum ,they are different ,so i guess they mean ,they need to contact the asylum office to make sure before giving you your green card.
gd luck

Sorry if i freaked you out pepsico, of course karri2008 might know better than me he had been more than a year on this, but the whole thing is so confusing, we are not lawyers here, if I were you I would consult a lawyer at this point, according to you, you have SS# through your school that allow you to work at school and also you expect EAD based on your asylum pending. If I were you when I get the EAD I would go back to SS office and update my info's on their system. The SS# will be the same as karri2008 said, but your file will be updated. Some employers might use e-verify system that check both EAD and SS# so getting things in order will put you in a good shape there. Of course this is my sole opinion here I have zero experience on these issues and I am not a lawyer!