Waiting Asylum decision

There is another way that you can try to get more details about why your case is taking so long.

Here is what you need to do.

1. Every asylum office has a dedicated day every week to answer inquires about cases in person. On that specific day, they don't interview applicants. The clerk on the main window will have time to respond to inquires. For example, San Francisco asylum office does that on Friday and LA asylum office does that on Wednesday. Find out what that day is for your asylum office and go in person between 1:00 PM and 3:00 PM.

2. When you go on that day, ask the clerk when is your last update on your case and ask if the background check is the reason for the delay. Keep in mind that some clerks might refuse to give you any additional information. It all depends on who you talk to. If the clerk refuses to give you any details, then go again on the following week until you find another clerk. The clerks have read-access to RAPS system and they can see what is going on with your case but they are not required to give you any information.

If you have an attorney who has represented your case can you still inquire about your case or it has to be the attorney doing it for you?

Got approval letter,:D

praying for everyone of yu who has been waiting for a while. one thing i can tell you all who are waiting that there is a very high chance you are going to be approved because if your case wasn't strong then they wont wait for background check to deny.

hopefully nowone is still mad. but if someone is still mad. please send me a personal massage and if i can see you are in this forum for a while now, I can reply you back. now it does not mean i would not help newcommers, but cannot answer any question that would tell my identity. i sure will be able to answer most of questions.

I am super excited, now would you all atleast celebrate with me please:confused:

Love you all. :)
:mad:

Life does not end here, It's only a beginning...Almost all active members in this forum helped you...But as soon as you got approval in the Air, you just changed...There is no justification for that. You have protection from the United states...Why would you refuse to help others...Good Luck to you anyway.

Karri2008,
It seems you been waiting for a while for a decision too. Have you done any status checks? is it pending under security check or it just says pending? Mine just says pending and nothing else.

If new-asylum-case is true about threats and the fact the someone follows him then god bless. But if he changed just because he got his mission complete and no more cares about the rest then screw him .

I have inquired them months ago and they said it is pending for back ground check, it has been over 3 months ago, I have a good lawyer and he sends inquiry mails to them even though I haven't aksed him to do it. I received a copy of another inquiry mail that he sent to the AO this month, no reply yet.
Where did you check yours? where it says pending. Are there any other ways of inquiries other than mails?

I have inquired them months ago and they said it is pending for back ground check, it has been over 3 months ago, I have a good lawyer and he sends inquiry mails to them even though I haven't aksed him to do it. I received a copy of another inquiry mail that he sent to the AO this month, no reply yet.
Where did you check yours? where it says pending. Are there any other ways of inquiries other than mails?

Hopefully you will get approval soon, but shouldn't you receive a recommend approval if your case is pending for background checks? Mine is still not late to push for inquiries, however as soon as 3 month period is complete then i will start doing my inquiries. I called the office and asked over the phone they said it is still pending and couldn't give me details. I do expect extended checks as i am coming from iran.

thanks ugububu,
every one here is mad at me for nothing, atleast said congrates happily.:eek:

Hey guys,

I got an email this morning from USCIS to let me know the status of my work permit. It says card/document production. How long does it take to receive my EAD after this??

For those of you who have pending asylum and waiting for a work permit, you can go to USCIS website and register so that they will send you status update of your work permit via text/email.

Thank you guys and God bless u all.

Hey guys,

I got an email this morning from USCIS to let me know the status of my work permit. It says card/document production. How long does it take to receive my EAD after this??

For those of you who have pending asylum and waiting for a work permit, you can go to USCIS website and register so that they will send you status update of your work permit via text/email.

Thank you guys and God bless u all.

Is there a special form to fill out with I-765?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a special form to fill out with I-765?

Go to USCIS website and on the home page look on the left side and choose "sign up for case updates" under Services. Then it will lead you to open up an account and give you an option to get the status update by text or email. You can choose both. I think it is cool.

There is another way that you can try to get more details about why your case is taking so long.

Here is what you need to do.

1. Every asylum office has a dedicated day every week to answer inquires about cases in person. On that specific day, they don't interview applicants. The clerk on the main window will have time to respond to inquires. For example, San Francisco asylum office does that on Friday and LA asylum office does that on Wednesday. Find out what that day is for your asylum office and go in person between 1:00 PM and 3:00 PM.

2. When you go on that day, ask the clerk when is your last update on your case and ask if the background check is the reason for the delay. Keep in mind that some clerks might refuse to give you any additional information. It all depends on who you talk to. If the clerk refuses to give you any details, then go again on the following week until you find another clerk. The clerks have read-access to RAPS system and they can see what is going on with your case but they are not required to give you any information.

Thanks Assylum for the information, I am about a half day travel distance from any AO, I guess I will stick with waiting. Hopefully soon, it should come soon, I feel like it is time for it to happen. It has been long enough already.

Thanks Assylum for the information, I am about a half day travel distance from any AO, I guess I will stick with waiting. Hopefully soon, it should come soon, I feel like it is time for it to happen. It has been long enough already.

Karri2008,
are you still in lawful status and have you been interviewed in field or main office? i guess that also adds to wait time.

Where would prefer ask asylum? City?

Hello everybody!

I don't know where to ask asylum?
in New York or San Francisco? Where is faster?

Karri2008,
are you still in lawful status and have you been interviewed in field or main office? i guess that also adds to wait time.

Yep. I am in status, and I had my interview at a main office. The delay could be because I am still in status and they give priority to those who are out of status.

Hi guys, my case has been pending since August 2010, so almost over 1.5 years. I have applied for EAD renewal and my new EAD just arrived. On EAD, my category looks like (a5). I know this is for granted asylum cases. Then I checked my first EAD, and my category looks like same (a5). Do you have opinion about this? Is everybody has same situation? Thank you for your answers.

Hi i am new to this forum but i would like you to help me because my brother had an interview 2weeks back and he was told told by the AO that, hence he is a minor and going to school as a f1 student it may take time because he have to discuss it with his supervisor before he can get decision on mail so he added my advice is continue going to school.Now i really don't know what he meant by that its confusing me and its 14days now nothing.Please can anyone tell me how this seems like.

They always need to consult their supervisor and IO cannot make decision just alone. He told me this to me also and I was an F-1 student that time also. But in my case, i got approval letter after 19 days of my interview. so F-1 status does not make the process long. if it takes long then there are other reasons. it is good to be on status because you can reapply even if it is denied first time and can reapply as many time as you want, there is no limit, but once you are out of status then it will be sent to court once it is denied and if court denies and you dont get any thing from there, you would be send back to country.
So all people who say F-1 status makes it long, it is just speculation because i know few other people who were students and got approval very soon. it just depend upon your individual case and background check thing, if those process go speedy, F-1 has nothing to do with delay, neither any law discreminates legal people against illegals.

HI asylees,you mean the AO told you that the decision may take time because he/s have to discuss it with his supervisor and added don't worry continue going to school. Secondly he is a minor applicant(not 18yrs old). Please what do you think this sound to you,because i don't actually knw why he said hence you are a minor is different when you are adult.

he did not tell to any thing about going to school, neither i asked if i should continue or not, but he was aware that i am on valid F1 status, i have no idea about minor, may be you can search how cases go about minors, but i think, again this is just what i think, that minor should not have any problem getting assylum if they have threat to them back home. so i personally feel these wont be problem in delaying of case, if case is delayed then there could be background check delay problems. but i dont think it would be